Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Schools direct salaried salary Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi my daughter and I recently attended a 'Get into teaching" event which resulted in her applying through UCAS for a schools direct salaried training place after her interview last week she has been received a conditional offer in the meantime she has received another interview date different provider but this time a salary has been mentioned of £5000 for 39 weeks course now we're confused as at the event and on all the information sites we can find it states that the salary will be point one of an unqualified teachers salary which ranges from £15871 upwards can anyone clarify as she now is deverstated that on so little she won't be able to train as this wouldn't even cover her rent

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that's for a salaried school direct course? I would contact the course provider to check the details.

That sounds more like a government bursary amount for a fee-paying course of some sort.

You are correct that Salaried SD places ought to be payed on an unqualified teacher scale. Don't accept anything less, as with government bursaries and loans, you get more than that to live on for many unsalaried courses.

What subject is she training to teach?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply and time she wants a primary school position below is exactly the information from her forthcoming interview letter
    Subject: SCITT Salaried - invitation to interview
    Finances:As you are aware, SCITT Salaried is an employment-based route into teaching supported by a National College of Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) grant. Your tuition fees are paid for you on this training route. If accepted onto the salaried programme, your salary would be in the range of £5,000 to £7,000 (with the possibility of £9,000 for exceptionally strong candidates). We will indicate your likely salary level when offering a place through UCAS. As a salaried trainee, you are not eligible for the normal financial student benefits such as a bursary, golden hello, maintenance grant, etc. However, dependent upon your personal circumstances, you may be eligible to receive income support or other benefits (please visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website

ReputationRep:
    This is what a provider sent me as you can see it's a proportion of that salary and primary is clearly £5161 I feel it's so misleading she didn't apply for non salaried because she couldn't afford to but this is actually no better and in my opinion certainly not a salary for people over 25 who are thinking of changing careers! Having said that these were the only providers I found who would talk actual figures others tell me she'll have to negotiate her salary package directly with the school after a successful interview!
    ""Primary and Secondary SCITT Salaried FinancesSCITT Salaried is an employment-based route into teaching supported by a National College of Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) grant. There are no tuition fees payable on this training route.NCTL Salary funding is currently available for the following subjectsigh Priority Secondary: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) and Computer Science. Priority Secondary: Biology, English, History, RE, Geography, Music, Design & Technology,Primary: including EY/KS1/KS2 SCITT . NCTL funding is used to cover SNITT training fees and to make a contribution towards your salary. Salaried trainees are usually paid on point one of the unqualified teacher scale. Trainees in primary will be offered a contract in the range 0.4 to 0.7 for 9.5 months. So what will my training salary be?The following figures are offered for guidance but are subject to changes in national pay scales and to NCTL fundingnhanced salary package for suitably qualified and experienced candidates in Maths and Physics £21,000High Priority Subjects (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, MFL): 0.8 contract for 12 months: £13,000School funded subjects: 0.8 contract for 12 months: £13,000Secondary priority subjects (English, Biology, History, Geography, Music, RE, DT): 0.7 contract for 9.5 months: £9,000Primary: 9.5 month contract: salary range £5,161 to £9,031"

ReputationRep:
    Ah, this isn't a School Direct position - SCITT is different. I had no idea there were salaried SCITT training schemes, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks again now I'm confused as its a schools direct salaried school led initial teacher training program so what is a school direct how you mean please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumsy123)
    Hi thanks again now I'm confused as its a schools direct salaried school led initial teacher training program so what is a school direct how you mean please
    These are the main course options. A course cannot be more than one, but can have similar aspects to one another (e.g. many training routes make it possible to gain an academic PGCE through an affiliated local university).

1. University based PGCE leading to QTS (qualified teacher status). Academic qualification with at least 2 school-based placements where you teach in a classroom for a number of weeks/months. You apply to the university.

2. School Direct unsalaried. School-based training courses, organised and led by a school, usually in a cluster with other local schools. Time is spent almost exclusively in one school, with a short placement at another school (usually around 6 weeks) to meet a government requirement to experience more than one setting while training. School Direct courses are often linked to a local university and result in gaining a PGCE as well as QTS. If this is the case then trainees will attend a small number of university sessions (amount varies) and complete academic assignments to gain their PGCE qualification. I believe applications for SD are still directed at the individual schools / lead schools in the cluster (this is how it was when I did it).

3. School Direct salaried (as above - but you are paid an unqualified teacher salary instead of paying tuition fees and receiving loans, bursaries etc from the government).

4. Teach First - much like School Direct Salaried in practice, but organised by the Teach First charity which places trainees in 'challenging' schools and also employs them for their NQT year as well. I believe many Teach First teachers intend only to teach for a short time before moving careers or taking a step up to management positions (perhaps a TF person can clarify that for me though).

5. SCITT (School Centred Initial Teacher Training). Sort of a mixture of SD and uni-based PGCE. Organised by a lead school in a local cluster. May include a link with a local university and may result in gaining a PGCE qualification in some cases. I believe you spend a bit more time in class teaching than you would on a university PGCE course, but this will vary from cluster to cluster.

6. Undergraduate education degree with QTS. A 3 or 4 year degree that includes lots of school placements, lots of academic work, lots of lectures etc.

I think that's it....

I can't help you work out which type of course your daughter has applied to though, as I obviously don't have all of those details.

If you're in doubt about the course or the suggested salary, I recommend contacting the training provider directly.

Best of luck, hope you sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much you have very helpful she has since spoken to her training provider and she's clear now that's it's a school direct salaried the salary package is an unqualified teacher so around £15,000 however it's then minus the fees £9000 the remainder is then pro rata over 39 weeks and then dependant on actual teaching hours so could be £5000 as you will only be teaching 13 hours solo per week or £7000 if teaching 18 hours solo and so on very very misleading and not really a career change salary in my opinion I'm beginning to see why there's such a shortage of teachers and feel its sad that enthusiastic trainees are being lost due to financial restraints if they are thinking of coming to teaching later in life with many other life skills and experiences but also the trappings of rent mortgage childcare costs etc but thank you once again for your time and advice much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumsy123)
    Thank you so much you have very helpful she has since spoken to her training provider and she's clear now that's it's a school direct salaried the salary package is an unqualified teacher so around £15,000 however it's then minus the fees £9000 the remainder is then pro rata over 39 weeks and then dependant on actual teaching hours so could be £5000 as you will only be teaching 13 hours solo per week or £7000 if teaching 18 hours solo and so on very very misleading and not really a career change salary in my opinion I'm beginning to see why there's such a shortage of teachers and feel its sad that enthusiastic trainees are being lost due to financial restraints if they are thinking of coming to teaching later in life with many other life skills and experiences but also the trappings of rent mortgage childcare costs etc but thank you once again for your time and advice much appreciated
    Salaried trainees don't normally pay fees and would usually be teaching a much larger timetable than that from the get go.

I would be interested to hear from some people who did / are doing the salaried route - find one of the School Direct threads and ask on there, because that sounds to me like the school are taking the micky a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks yet again I will do that and update you if I learn again new

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.