The Student Room Group

Christian Union Horror Stories (University)

I've been in Uni for a good few years. The CU just keeps getting worse and worse. They way they treat people, the leadership team, how the leadership team is chosen, no proper guidance, etc. Am I the only one to have an awful CU experience?

I've been brought up as a Christian and I've been a born again Christian for a very long time and my experience at uni has truly rocked my foundations.

Does anyone else have anything to share?

I urge you to please be honest and open. This will not just help me, but a lot of other people who go through this every day.

Scroll to see replies

You are your own person. It is good to have one's foundations shaken to see if they were made of sand or stone. Trust in yourself and your judgement and above all Know Thyself. In life we move from one stage of maturity to another. That's just how it is. As children we believe in our peers and in Santa, later we shed those silly beliefs, then as teenagers we start to believe in idols and celebs and start to rebel against parents, pushing the boundaries to find our own space. Some take up religion in those years when they are quite vulnerable in terms of thought processes and the need to belong to something. As young adults we start to question things more, we look for cohesive arguments, we start to research things, we challenge ideas and notions (as result of education processes) and just like the Santa beliefs, we start to wonder what is true and what is not true. Another change in our lives begins its path. Some go on to sincerely search for truth, others don't bother and just plod on following everyone else. My advice to you, is to be yourself, know yourself, and follow your instinct. Take nothing for granted, question and challenge everything and shed every fear to do so with your friends and peers. This is your life. Be in control.
Original post by rjmusical
I've been in Uni for a good few years. The CU just keeps getting worse and worse. They way they treat people, the leadership team, how the leadership team is chosen, no proper guidance, etc. Am I the only one to have an awful CU experience?

I've been brought up as a Christian and I've been a born again Christian for a very long time and my experience at uni has truly rocked my foundations.

I urge you to please be honest and open. This will not just help me, but a lot of other people who go through this every day.

I kept well away from my uni's CU because its values and people felt very alien to me. Funnily enough and thankfully, they all kept away from me too :biggrin:

My advice to fellow Christians starting uni is to be wary of CUs, tbh :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I kept well away from my uni's CU because its values and people felt very alien to me. Funnily enough and thankfully, they all kept away from me too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there a reason why CUs are so bad? I've got a friend in my year who's part of it (I think?).
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Posted from TSR Mobile

a lot of these types of groups are ultra-cliquey and people end up competing for who can do the craziest charism stunts
Original post by Plagioclase
Is there a reason why CUs are so bad? I've got a friend in my year who's part of it (I think?).

Imho, they subscribe to an incredibly narrow type of Christianity. If you fall within that, fair enough - you'll be fine and will probably enjoy the community and find it an enriching experience. But woe betide you if you don't like it but have somehow become part of the CU, and you try to leave! :headfire:

I can't say much more than that without offending people on here/causing fights. For context, I am a liberal Catholic, so there is no way - on either count - that I could have ever been part of the OICCU :lol: They didn't like me and I really didn't like them either (though I have some friends who were part of the CU at the time, so clearly they're not all completely bonkers :tongue: ) :ninja:
Reply 6

Your foundation should be your daily 1-2-1 with the living God ... you say you are born again ... by who's definition? Do you know when Jesus' disciples were born again?
Reply 7
Original post by NJA
Your foundation should be your daily 1-2-1 with the living God ... you say you are born again ... by who's definition? Do you know when Jesus' disciples were born again?

So you've made a judgement on my relationship with God and you don't know who I am or what I do or what my life is like. Number 1 problem with Christianity.
(edited 8 years ago)
So you've made a judgement on my relationship with God and you don't know who I am or what I do or what my life is like. You sound like someone who's never sinned. Number 1 problem with Christianity.

I'm not religious but I agree
Reply 9
So you've made a judgement on my relationship with God and you don't know who I am or what I do or what my life is like. You sound like someone who's never sinned. Number 1 problem with Christianity.

You have demonstrated the very attributes you falsely accuse me of!

I asked you 2 questions, I made no judgement about you.
If you can't simply admit that and calm down please don't answer.

What exactly happened, if you don't mind me asking? I didn't really get involved with the CU at my uni outside of Christmas events so I can't really comment, I'm afraid, but I plan to once I return to university study
Reply 11
Original post by NJA
You have demonstrated the very attributes you falsely accuse me of!

I asked you 2 questions, I made no judgement about you.
If you can't simply admit that and calm down please don't answer.

Mate, it's the way you speak. You make yourself sound like you're some big shot Jesus like man. Your questions were patronising and comes across as being judgemental. Perhaps you should rephrase. Apologies for making it sound like I'm not calm. I was just pointing out the obvious and making a point from that. I accuse you, or rather 'falsely accuse you' of nothing.
One of my friends joined the CU at her university and she couldn't stand it. They were incredibly bitchy to her when she started dating an atheist guy and when they found out they were sleeping together, they were even more horrible to her. She was all excited about joining the CU. By her second year she hated it.
Reply 13
I really don't want to damage anyone's integrity. But I've found them to be quite cliquey. Very much gossip central. Can't trust members to protect integrity. Immature leadership. Quite a few things.
BUT they're not all like that. I've made a few good friends. You should definitely check it out. You might enjoy the experience. Your CU might be completely different to mine.
Reply 14
Mate, it's the way you speak. You make yourself sound like you're some big shot Jesus like man. Your questions were patronising and comes across as being judgemental. Perhaps you should rephrase. Apologies for making it sound like I'm not calm. I was just pointing out the obvious and making a point from that. I accuse you, or rather 'falsely accuse you' of nothing.

OK, I wanted to ask straight, simple questions to see what you actually believe.
I'm sure you would agree with Jesus that many who call Him "Lord" etc will be told "I never knew you", he's obviously talking about "church-goers" so of course just because someone goes to "church" or "CU" doesn't mean they are hearing & believing th original gospel that saves. So, why not just give an honest answer and I'll do my best to give a constructive response? .. I can't help if you won't tell me where you are at with these basics!
Reply 15
Original post by NJA
OK, I wanted to ask straight, simple questions to see what you actually believe.
I'm sure you would agree with Jesus that many who call Him "Lord" etc will be told "I never knew you", he's obviously talking about "church-goers" so of course just because someone goes to "church" or "CU" doesn't mean they are hearing & believing th original gospel that saves. So, why not just give an honest answer and I'll do my best to give a constructive response? .. I can't help if you won't tell me where you are at with these basics!

Yes. I believe and I am a church goer. In fact, church has kept me sane!
I really don't want to damage anyone's integrity. But I've found them to be quite cliquey. Very much gossip central. Can't trust members to protect integrity. Immature leadership. Quite a few things.
BUT they're not all like that. I've made a few good friends. You should definitely check it out. You might enjoy the experience. Your CU might be completely different to mine.

Hmm... I kind of get what you mean; sadly the old Baptist church I got baptised at was kind of like that, too. Christianity is supposed to be welcoming to outsiders, isn't it? It's no wonder why atheism is so rampant in our modern culture.

Where do/ did you study?
Reply 17

I think when you become a Christian your PR for God has to reflect your views of Jesus and it has to reflect Him.

If you don't agree with something then in humility you should leave and find somewhere you feel more comfortable.

Or, on the other hand get stuck in and be the pivot to change things.
Have you tried not believing in the wrong god?
Reply 19

I just sometimes think we need to remind ourselves of the fundamentals of our faith like:-

Ephesians 4:29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Romans 14 v 19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending