Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Christian Union Horror Stories (University) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    Wow. Some people are so caught up in their own agendas. Preaching at others.
    I'm a Christian before you start
    Hi Sammylou,

may I ask how you judge yourself to be a "Christian"?

When did the disciples become "Christians"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nictrix101)
    ... the vast majority of christians (apologies for any offence caused) are Bible believing, born again christians that accept Jesus Christ as their saviour and Lord. Everything else should be secondary issues
    Hi nictrix, I agree that you have to get the "born again" bit right first, otherwise you are trying to be something you are not!

So, it's vital to know what the born again experience is!
    When would you say the disciples had it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Hi Sammylou,

may I ask how you judge yourself to be a "Christian"?

When did the disciples become "Christians"?
    I am a Christian, not a "christian"
    I don't judge myself, God will

What on earth does your question have to go with anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjmusical)
    the leadership team, how the leadership team is chosen, no proper guidance, etc
    That sounds like the definition of most religions' gods.

Religion gives some people absolute certainty in their beliefs, without any credible evidence. That doesn't make for good social interaction.

ReputationRep:

By calling youirself a Christian you are saying something about yourself, since we are talking about Christian Unions I think it's relevant to see if we can agree on what a Christian is ... it is also relevant because Jesus Christ warns that the majority of those that call Him their Lord will be told "depart from me, I never knew you".

That is why I asked the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    By calling youirself a Christian you are saying something about yourself, since we are talking about Christian Unions I think it's relevant to see if we can agree on what a Christian is ... it is also relevant because Jesus Christ warns that the majority of those that call Him their Lord will be told "depart from me, I never knew you".

That is why I asked the questions.
    Matthew 7:21-23New King James Version (NKJV) I Never Knew You 21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
    If you are going to quote at me dont twist it got your own ends and take it out of context

I only need justify myself to God

I am a Christian. I have been saved by the grace of God through the blood of Jesus Christ.
    None of this has any relevance to the op
    He/she is unhappy with cu. I merely suggest she may find her support elsewhere. If he/she encounters members like you who seek to condemn and put down then no wonder they're unhappy!!!!
    Are you seeking to fulfil Gods purpose or your own agenda?
    Whilst you are busy condemning others and questioning their faith I assume you consider yours to be "right".
    Logs in eyes etc!!!!

ReputationRep:

Good question.

The OP was asking a genuine question. Unfortunately he responded to people who he probably should have ignored.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread!

I have always found my uni's CU to b a great place to be.

So sorry to hear that.

ReputationRep:
    I really like the CU at my uni but some of the older years can be quite judgemental. Like please don't act like you've never sinned.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't joined my CU or been to any of their events but in first year during freshers week they came to our flat and told one of my flatmates that her dad would go to hell for not believing and told my other housemate (who is gay) that homosexuals will also go to hell, so that was fun.

On the other hand, at one of the SU club nights they set up a little stall giving flavoured water (for the benefit of all the drunk students I guess) and I thought that was really cute. I had a great discussion/debate with one of the members and it almost convinced me to attend their next event

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    One of my friends joined the CU at her university and she couldn't stand it. They were incredibly *****y to her when she started dating an atheist guy and when they found out they were sleeping together, they were even more horrible to her. She was all excited about joining the CU. By her second year she hated it.
    That's because the bible condemns those things... You can't be surprised if people in the Christian Union tell her what the bible says about dating unbelievers, let alone sleeping with them. Is it horrible to believe what the bible says? Is it horrible to tell someone else what the bible says? She probably hated it by the second year because she likes disobeying what the bible says...

I get the impression you think it's morally wrong to encourage people to take their faith seriously. If you're going to profess to be a Christian, at least be consistent! That's what I say.

(Original post by NeeceLondon)
    I haven't joined my CU or been to any of their events but in first year during freshers week they came to our flat and told one of my flatmates that her dad would go to hell for not believing and told my other housemate (who is gay) that homosexuals will also go to hell, so that was fun.

On the other hand, at one of the SU club nights they set up a little stall giving flavoured water (for the benefit of all the drunk students I guess) and I thought that was really cute. I had a great discussion/debate with one of the members and it almost convinced me to attend their next event
    again, that is what the bible says. They probably said it in a nicer way than that, and clarified terms like "sexuality" and "homosexuals". But you would expect them to be honest and explain what the bible says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjmusical)
    I've been in Uni for a good few years. The CU just keeps getting worse and worse. They way they treat people, the leadership team, how the leadership team is chosen, no proper guidance, etc. Am I the only one to have an awful CU experience?

I've been brought up as a Christian and I've been a born again Christian for a very long time and my experience at uni has truly rocked my foundations.

Does anyone else have anything to share?

I urge you to please be honest and open. This will not just help me, but a lot of other people who go through this every day.
    Could you be specific about what you don't like about the CU? Have you ever considered having a word with the committee in person about your concerns? Or the "staffworker" if you have one?

About how CU leadership is chosen, CUs often have battles with their universities because it's not completely democratic. Indeed, many don't like how leadership is chosen. How is it done in your CU?

However, you know what, I think it's essential that the leadership is controlled. This is because Christian Unions are not just a bunch of social clubs. They are a strategic means of evangelising universities. They receive funding by believers all over the world. If you don't control who gets into leadership, then you risk people getting on the committee who don't have faith in Christ, or don't have theology consistent with the CU. Then the CU wouldn't be as effective in leading people to Christ, and may actually lead people along the wrong path. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)

again, that is what the bible says. They probably said it in a nicer way than that, and clarified terms like "sexuality" and "homosexuals". But you would expect them to be honest and explain what the bible says.

Actually no, she didn't say it in a nicer way than that. I'm not sure why you think you have greater knowledge of what was said that evening when you weren't present. I have no issue with CU members being honest and 'explaining' what the bible says but in my opinion this is a horror story as we were freshers and they were meant to be welcoming and encouraging, instead they thought it was acceptable to tell a new uni student who had only been living in that city for four days that they were going to hell. I think it's rather disgusting to make someone who probably already feels anxious and self-conscious feel even more uncomfortable and alienated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not part of my uni's CU however there's a church a lot of students go to. Whilst the pastor is absolutely amazing there's a fair share of judgemental people in the church and some of the teachings are just too much. The church teaches that drinking alcohol, clubbing, homosexuality and a whole lot of other things are wrong.

In situations like that you just focus on your relationship with God and your faith.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Christians are destined for the hell fire

ReputationRep:
    Actually no, she didn't say it in a nicer way than that. I'm not sure why you think you have greater knowledge of what was said that evening when you weren't present. I have no issue with CU members being honest and 'explaining' what the bible says but in my opinion this is a horror story as we were freshers and they were meant to be welcoming and encouraging, instead they thought it was acceptable to tell a new uni student who had only been living in that city for four days that they were going to hell. I think it's rather disgusting to make someone who probably already feels anxious and self-conscious feel even more uncomfortable and alienated.
    I don't understand... Christians believe that if people don't repent (repent here is Christian jargon for turning away from their life) and put their trust in Christ instead for the forgiveness of their sins, they will go to hell. Is it wrong to attempt to persuade people that such a belief is true?

I think you're being unfair. CUs are going to seek to persuade people to follow what Jesus taught. Sometimes that offends people.

Edit: this post is edited because I got mixed up between you and someone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    I don't understand... Christians believe that if people don't repent (repent here is Christian jargon for turning away from their life) and put their trust in Christ instead for the forgiveness of their sins, they will go to hell. Is it wrong to attempt to persuade people that such a belief is true?

I think you're being unfair. CUs are going to seek to persuade people to follow what Jesus taught. Sometimes that offends people.

Edit: this post is edited because I got mixed up between you and someone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am not being unfair, it is the context of this incident which makes it so deplorable. No, it is not wrong to attempt to evangelise people but I don't understand how anyone could think it's acceptable to knock on the doors of young people - who have just moved into a new city where they don't really know anybody, they're already anxious about being accepted and meeting new people, they're probably missing their family and feel quite uncomfortable - and tell them in front of people they've only known for a couple days that they're going to hell. What type of welcome is that? What type of introduction to university is that? If you fail to understand why this goes far beyond just 'offending' people then there is no point in this conversation.

Anyway, you can't persuade someone to not be gay, it doesn't work like that.

ReputationRep:
    I am not being unfair, it is the context of this incident which makes it so deplorable. No, it is not wrong to attempt to evangelise people but I don't understand how anyone could think it's acceptable to knock on the doors of young people - who have just moved into a new city where they don't really know anybody, they're already anxious about being accepted and meeting new people, they're probably missing their family and feel quite uncomfortable - and tell them in front of people they've only known for a couple days that they're going to hell. What type of welcome is that? What type of introduction to university is that? If you fail to understand why this goes far beyond just 'offending' people then there is no point in this conversation.

Anyway, you can't persuade someone to not be gay, it doesn't work like that.
    With respect, I don't think you've thought this through. Consider what I'm saying.

There must have been context to these CU members telling your friend that he/she is going to hell (if she doesn't repent and believe). Your friend probably asked them a question. For instance, one of the most common questions CUs get asked from unbelievers is "What is Christianity's view of homosexuality?" or some other variation of that, because of the massive impact LGBT issues has had on our society in recent times. In fact, we have this recurring joke at my uni's CU (Soton): "How long do you think it'll be before today's homosexuality question comes in?" - it's a lot funnier in person, I assure you...

But anyway, you have to recognise that Christians will want to answer that question truthfully. There's not many ways you can say "God punishes sin" and "practicing homosexuality is an example of sin" without offending people who insist that practicing homosexuality is not morally wrong. But from a Christian's perspective, they need to hear the truth because it will save them.

Do you know why the CU members went to your friend's home? What was the context?

ReputationRep:
    I thought CUs were just a dating club for badly dressed people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    Do you know why the CU members went to your friend's home? What was the context?
    Believe me, I understand that people love to ask Christians the controversial questions 'What do you think of homosexuality/abortion/pre-marital sex?' as a way of almost baiting us. Understand that this was not the situation. The CU were coming around to flats with food as a welcome for new students who were in halls. My friend did not ask their opinion on homosexuality, he stated to us that he was going to remove himself from the room as he was gay and didn't want to enter a discussion with the CU members after hearing what they said about our other flatmate's father. This is when the CU members decided to 'educate' him on a future he did not enquire about, he didn't even engage them at all.

With all due respect, I think you need to accept that you can not talk on an event you were not present for. You do not need to be a defender for all CUs or all CU members.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.