Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Body building... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Narb, you seem to know your stuff -

Regarding dumbells - at the moment I tend to do 3 sets, mainly upper body, going through 7.5/10/12.5 kgs each time (which i'll probably increase in a couple weeks) - is that "right"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Narb, you seem to know your stuff -

Regarding dumbells - at the moment I tend to do 3 sets, mainly upper body, going through 7.5/10/12.5 kgs each time (which i'll probably increase in a couple weeks) - is that "right"?
    You need to increase the weight EVERY session. do 2 sets...1st set 21 reps, 2nd set to failure...get to failure within 15 reps. I dont know what weight that will be for you, but make sure the weight is heavy enough to do that^^
    Next time you do it, increase the weight, you might drop reps, but that doesnt matter. Next time increase the reps(if you drop quite alot of reps when increasing the weight that is...but still keep it within 12-15 per set, for 2 sets). Time after that, increase weight...etc and so on

ReputationRep:
    i dont know your goals, but isnt 12-15 reps a little high?

bulking reps should be between 4-6 - you should use a weight heavy enough to fail on 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    i dont know your goals, but isnt 12-15 reps a little high?

bulking reps should be between 4-6 - you should use a weight heavy enough to fail on 6.
    Yeh 12-15 is a little high, I personally go for 6-10 .. but I realise no1 here is going to believe that 6 reps is better for you than 12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Yes, its supposed to. Now next time you lift them(in a few days) make the dumbells 10kg.

A few days?? You Mean its not everyday/ And 10 Kgs?? a 3 Kg icnrease aftwer one work out? whatever your the boss dude,

ReputationRep:
    You need to increase the weight EVERY session. do 2 sets...1st set 21 reps, 2nd set to failure...get to failure within 15 reps. I dont know what weight that will be for you, but make sure the weight is heavy enough to do that^^
    Next time you do it, increase the weight, you might drop reps, but that doesnt matter. Next time increase the reps(if you drop quite alot of reps when increasing the weight that is...but still keep it within 12-15 per set, for 2 sets). Time after that, increase weight...etc and so on
    Okay, I'll start at 10kgs next time. Is increasing the weight each set the right way to do it, or should I just do the highest weight I can do around 10 reps with the first set and stick with that?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh 12-15 is a little high, I personally go for 6-10 .. but I realise no1 here is going to believe that 6 reps is better for you than 12
    Man i asked for ur help, and you BS me, Now i want the facts straight and simple, capiece??

ReputationRep:
    kool - kids eh... they'll give up next week

so narb... whasya bench???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    Man i asked for ur help, and you BS me, Now i want the facts straight and simple, capiece??
    Oh shut up. Ive told you everything you need to know and youve basically not listened to a word of it. How many times have I said that muscle grows whilst resting not whilst lifting, yet you still ask if you should do it everyday? If you want to know anything else you can go and do your own research, I cant be arsed wasting anymore time with you.

Mod Expression - Language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    kool - kids eh... they'll give up next week

so narb... whasya bench???
    I havent benched in ages, not one of the exercises I like too much Im afraid , you?

ReputationRep:
    Oh shut up. Ive told you everything you need to know and youve basically not listened to a word of it. How many times have I said that muscle grows whilst resting not whilst lifting, yet you still ask if you should do it everyday? If you want to know anything else you can go and do your own research, I cant be arsed wasting anymore time with you.

The way it looks to me is that u got ur head so far up ur ass, you dont know WTF your talking about, the only thing you said which is worth ****, is research!

Mod Expression - Language

ReputationRep:
    I do. High reps are not as productive as some people think.

ReputationRep:
    I havent benched in ages, not one of the exercises I like too much Im afraid , you?
    The bench press is one of the three fundamental exercises. I like it.

Like you however, I haven't done it for ages - and won't be able to for ages. I've broken my collarbone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    The way it looks to me is that u got ur head so far up ur ass, you dont know WTF your talking about, the only thing you said which is worth ****, is research!
    Nice one, ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    The bench press is one of the three fundamental exercises. I like it.

Like you however, I haven't done it for ages - and won't be able to for ages. I've broken my collarbone.
    I do it, just not often, once a month or something, and I do it closegrip for now..I prefer dips

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    imasillynarb does know some of his stuff, but I must say that he is extremely sure of his own opinion - regardless of whether it is right or wrong.

I'm more than happy to answer any gym questions.

ReputationRep:
    imasillynarb does know some of his stuff, but I must say that he is extremely sure of his own opinion - regardless of whether it is right or wrong.

I'm more than happy to answer any gym questions.
    What have I said thats 'wrong'?

ReputationRep:
    I do. High reps are not as productive as some people think.
    I know you believe it from your other threads...Im just saying, as long as the weight is heavy enough so that youre doing a maxiumum of 12 reps per se than its fine.

ReputationRep:
    No disrespect, but here are a couple of examples in your recent post:

Regarding the increase of weight for every session - ideally, the intensity should increase, but that's what you implied. Increasing the weight at too fast a rate would cause the lifter to lift for very few reps, which would not be that productive and would also affect form, which could be dangerous.

Regarding two sets - if you have the time, go for more sets. Three or four are fine, not more. If you take the analogy that multiple sets work more muscle fibres to failure, then doing more is more productive. Novices will find multiple sets beneficial in that they have greater opportunity to develop good form. There is great controversy over multiple sets. Of course, one shouldn't overtrain.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one, ********.
    The Soreness of shame, i would say!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.