Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Body building... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There are two types of body building the steroid way that means taking supplements and the natural way which is no drugs or steriods or anything.
    By the way why are steroids bad for you? Oh yeh I read in some post on this thread "you need to shock the muscles" hahahahahahhahahaha what the hell man how can you shock them when you control them.

ReputationRep:
    you dont shock them literally. You just use a suprisingly heavy weight to make them think "hmmm...heavy...i should probably get bigger"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHANDY)
    There are two types of body building the steroid way that means taking supplements and the natural way which is no drugs or steriods or anything.
    By the way why are steroids bad for you? Oh yeh I read in some post on this thread "you need to shock the muscles" hahahahahahhahahaha what the hell man how can you shock them when you control them.
    There's a big difference between steroids and supplements - steroids are drugs which can have nasty side effects, such as making your nuts shrink or giving women facial hair, while supplements are generally more "natural" and are basically high doses of vitamins/minerals/protein/creatine which you can get from food anyway. Stay away from steroids, and if you eat properly don't bother with supplements, they're a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NIk)
    In fact only you lift only a part of your body weight when you do press-ups, because another part of your weight is supported by your feet
    I know..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    There's a big difference between steroids and supplements - steroids are drugs which can have nasty side effects, such as making your nuts shrink or giving women facial hair, while supplements are generally more "natural" and are basically high doses of vitamins/minerals/protein/creatine which you can get from food anyway. Stay away from steroids, and if you eat properly don't bother with supplements, they're a waste of money.
    I think there is a place for supplements, supplements do just that, supplement your diet. If you have a weakness/deficiency in one area you can just take a supplement instead..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    you dont shock them literally. You just use a suprisingly heavy weight to make them think "hmmm...heavy...i should probably get bigger"
    Muscles cant think.

ReputationRep:
    you dont know what ur talking about... do some research shandy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    if you do high reps it does nothing for you.
    Hmm... I've heard contrary. I heard that high resistance, low reps increases strength, and low resistance, high reps increases size.
    Of course, this could be wrong as there are so many contradictions/myths in weight training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    you dont know what ur talking about... do some research shandy.
    Muscles cant think can they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Hmm... I've heard contrary. I heard that high resistance, low reps increases strength, and low resistance, high reps increases size.
    Of course, this could be wrong as there are so many contradictions/myths in weight training.
    It depends how high the reps are....for increasing strength its true that you use extremely heavy weights for extremely few reps...maybe 2-4 reps at your absolute maximum lifting capability. For increasing size you want maybe 6-10 reps and not much more..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenarbisbanned)
    It depends how high the reps are....for increasing strength its true that you use extremely heavy weights for extremely few reps...maybe 2-4 reps at your absolute maximum lifting capability. For increasing size you want maybe 6-10 reps and not much more..
    Can you give me tips on how to combine cardio and resistance?

ReputationRep:
    It dosnt work like that, your muscles get used to the resistence you put them to.... therefore it is neccessary to shock them into knew growth.

Muscles dont actually think they need to grow when given new stress, but it does trigger the brain to release a growth hormone, which in turn triggers the muscle to grow.

ReputationRep:
    Can you give me tips on how to combine cardio and resistance?
    Well what are your goals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenarbisbanned)
    Well what are your goals?
    General fitness and toning.

ReputationRep:
    General fitness and toning.
    Do resistance training 3 times a week, monday wed fri for example

Monday: legs/abs
    Wednesday: Chest tricep
    Friday: Back Bicep

On tuesday thurs saturday do HIIT training...30 secs sprinting 2 mins jogging for 30 mins..reduce the time spent jogging as you get better..

Eat lots of protein, when weight training do 2-3 sets of a maximum of 12 reps per set, make sure you fail on the third set. Thats about it really..

ReputationRep:
    shoulders and traps?

ReputationRep:
    Muscles cant think can they?

Its just a way of putting it, correct me if im worng

ReputationRep:
    Muscles cant think.
    It was an illustration you tit, and a quite valid one at that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure how true this is, but the guide my friend and I have been using for the past few months says that you do a lower number of reps at a higher weight to build muscle, and a higher number of reps at a lower weight to keep the muscle toned at a ones desired level. For instance, in following the guide, I only wished to build up to a desired point. After I achieved this (quite pleased with my body now too) I knocked a few kilos off the bars and have begun to increase my reps by 50% for each exercise. Again, I'm no expert and I'm only following a guide, but it does seem to be working. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    shoulders and traps?
    Shoulders wednesday traps friday?

It was just a suggestion to give him the right idea, I wasnt detailing a precise workout plan!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.