Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am looking to change career from teaching English at Secondary, to law. There are a variety of reasons for this switch but mainly that teaching has helped me recognise which of my skills I enjoy using and what I want out of life and I have been inspired to pursue a legal career.

    However, my employment track record, while above board, is not ideal. I completed my NQT year last year at one school which I thoroughly enjoyed, but I was on a one year contract which the school was unable to extend (several other people were made redundant at the same time and anyone on a temporary contract was let go). I got another one year contract at another school nearby but, not enjoying teaching and thinking that the temporary contracts were the problem, was very proactive in finding myself ANOTHER job, this time permanent, at another local school.

    School 1 - Sept 2014 - August 2015 (temp)
    School 2 - September 2015 - November 2015 (temp)
    School 3 - November 2015 - present (perm)

    To add to the issue, I have suffered ill health while at my latest school. Ordinarily I am in very good health but a series of personal events and unforeseen circumstances have taken their severe toll on my physical and mental health, unlike anything I've experienced before. The work I have done at this latest job is exactly what it should have been, but my attendance is not. I have kept the school as well informed as possible but the facts speak for themselves. I am very conscientious and feel very guilty about taking time off, even though it could not be helped.

    I am applying to do a GDL starting September 2016 but am conflicted about who I should go to for a reference. I am anxious that my most recent employer's reference would be bad, due to my health problems, which I am confident are nearly over. My second previous job was so brief, the reference would purely be dates and the fact that I left on good terms. The longest teaching job is now 6 months and 2 other jobs ago - is this too distant to request for a reference?

    Any advice on references, who to go to and any advice I can pass onto them, would be gratefully accepted.

    You dont need to use an employer unless the Uni asks for this or you cannot get 2 academic references.
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.