Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I currently do biology chemistry maths and Spanish but am considering dropping maths. I know maths isn't strictly a 'required' subject but are you at a disadvantage if you only have 2 science subjects and not 3? also, are the mathematical elements of the course very challenging if you haven't done A2 maths? I'm in year 12 so have covered the majority of AS maths, but I think doing 4 full A levels is too much and I'd rather get higher grades in 3 rather than average ones in 4 and maths is the one I find most difficult so the one I'm most likely to drop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    I currently do biology chemistry maths and Spanish but am considering dropping maths. I know maths isn't strictly a 'required' subject but are you at a disadvantage if you only have 2 science subjects and not 3? also, are the mathematical elements of the course very challenging if you haven't done A2 maths? I'm in year 12 so have covered the majority of AS maths, but I think doing 4 full A levels is too much and I'd rather get higher grades in 3 rather than average ones in 4 and maths is the one I find most difficult so the one I'm most likely to drop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths at A Level isn't a requirement. If it was such an important component of the course, it would be one.

As long as you have at least 'B' at GCSE level, you'll meet the Maths requirement of most Pharmacy schools. I know that Nottingham ask for an A grade though!

Biology and Chemistry are the two most important ones, so I'd say drop Maths and focus on getting good grades in your two sciences + Spanish. Most 'established' Pharmacy schools require AAB.

ReputationRep:
    i never did maths at level i got my way back in 2004

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m_james)
    Maths at A Level isn't a requirement. If it was such an important component of the course, it would be one.

As long as you have at least 'B' at GCSE level, you'll meet the Maths requirement of most Pharmacy schools. I know that Nottingham ask for an A grade though!

Biology and Chemistry are the two most important ones, so I'd say drop Maths and focus on getting good grades in your two sciences + Spanish. Most 'established' Pharmacy schools require AAB.
    yeah I did get an A at GCSE and have covered most of the AS now, so do you think I will be mathematically equipped enough then? I feel like that's what I want to do although I feel bad for dropping a 'sciency' subject, but I can't help but feel like doing 4 full A levels is more trouble than it's worth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, you will not be disadvantaged, if anything it will be better for you as you will have the potential to increase your grades in your other subjects. Maths isn't a compulsory subject and nor will you need a lot of mathematical skills in biology or chemistry. Also universities only want 3 subjects so you're probably better off with only 3 subjects. Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.