Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just come out of P5 and thought it was a horrible paper (compared to last year's anyway). The first six questions were fine, but I got into a real mess on the last two. How did everyone else find it?

edit: You can now find a copy of the paper on page 3!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    I've just come out of P5 and thought it was a horrible paper (compared to last year's anyway). The first six questions were fine, but I got into a real mess on the last two. How did everyone else find it?
    hey i did it
    the first 4 questions were fine, the reduction formulae was a bit of a mess, intrinsic coordinates?what are they! didnt even bother attempting that one!
    number 7 was ok, i think i got the right answer and if not my method was all corect.
    number 8a) was piss easy the rest was whaT?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was all fairly easy to be honest, some bits were a bit technical but nothing too hard, i think i got them all right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beauford)
    I thought it was all fairly easy to be honest, some bits were a bit technical but nothing too hard, i think i got them all right...
    it wasnt too hard no, but parts of it got messy
    some parts where just... hmm how do u put it? well they looked pretty, a nice white clean page!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    it wasnt too hard no, but parts of it got messy
    some parts where just... hmm how do u put it? well they looked pretty, a nice white clean page!
    It was just a little fiddley at times i think...

ReputationRep:
    It was just a little fiddley at times i think...
    yeah, question 7, that got really mess, but i think i got the right answer
    did u find the coordinats of Q? for question 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    yeah, question 7, that got really mess, but i think i got the right answer
    did u find the coordinats of Q? for question 8
    I made q. 7 to be 6a and 12a^2pi/5 and for q. 8, the coordinates were (-c/t^3,-ct^3) i think.

ReputationRep:
    I made q. 7 to be 6a and 12a^2pi/5 and for q. 8, the coordinates were (-c/t^3,-ct^3) i think.
    quetions 7 looks good
    Q 8 i attempted that part but didnt get it so i guess urs is right

ReputationRep:
    evry1 i knw seems 2 fink it was ***** hard n evry1 got diff answers for evrythin :mad:

ReputationRep:
    on 7 I ended up with INT(root(Sin^6[x] - Sin^4[x] + Cos^6[x] - Cos^4[x]))dx

I figured I was on the right track but time wasn't looking so good I moved on to 8 because I was usually good at that kind of question. The first part of 8 was easy, then I made a stupid error on the second part and that was the mess which consumed my remaining time. Overall I think the problem with that paper wasn't so much it's difficulty (although I think it was definitely harder than the June 2003 paper) but that the questions were fairly long. Maybe an extra 30 mins and I would've finished it all ^_^

ReputationRep:
    hi,I got the radian of curveture like 25/9 root 3 ,something,did anyway get that???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janetjanet)
    hi,I got the radian of curveture like 25/9 root 3 ,something,did anyway get that???
    as long as you mean root 2 i got that (i put it as -25/9 root(2) actually, don't think it matters)

ReputationRep:
    as long as you mean root 2 i got that (i put it as -25/9 root(2) actually, don't think it matters)
    yes,thanks.it was 2 ,I think....
    haha////so happy....

ReputationRep:
    i did not get the last part of q 8,it was only 2 marks though..
    what do people think the boundry would be???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janetjanet)
    I think that question went something like this:

t= ln3

x = Cosh(t) - t

dx = Sinh(t) - 1
    d2x = Cosh(t)

y = Cosh(t) + t

dy = Sinh(t) + 1
    d2y = Cosh(t)

dx = 1/3
    d2x = 5/3

dy = 7/3
    d2y = 5/3

Radius of Curvature = (dx^2 + dy^2)^3/2 / (dx*d2y - dy*d2x)

= (1/9 + 49/9)^(3/2) / (5/9 - 35/9)
    = (50/9)^(3/2) / (-30/9)
    = (50^(3/2) / 27) / (-30/9)

= -(50^(3/2) / 90)

I think that's right, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    cor i found that so hard its unreal. intrinsic co-ordinates?!?! help! lol. 8(a) was easy but the rest was a joke. i got 6a as well for the length but i just didnt have time to do the surface area of revolution. i filled up 18 sides of working, cant be a good sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    cor i found that so hard its unreal. intrinsic co-ordinates?!?! help! lol. 8(a) was easy but the rest was a joke. i got 6a as well for the length but i just didnt have time to do the surface area of revolution. i filled up 18 sides of working, cant be a good sign.
    intrinsic was a joke! i didnt get any of it in the end
    8a) was easy the rest a joke? yes!
    i like you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    ok ...igot 6a(sin^2a) .... ... and 24pi(a^2)(u^5 / 5)

u was either cos or sine ... cantremember ...

im totally****ed ... i got eveything rite till q 6 ... then itwas a massacre

ReputationRep:
    yer ur rite - everything was going so well until i hit the last 3 questions and then my life got shattered lol. the woman in the exam was lookin at me very funny when after finishin the 16 page answer booklet i asked for "lots more sheets of paper please".

:mad: so annoyed wiv that paper. Anyone who says that it was easy shud be hung, drawn and quartered for lying.

ReputationRep:
    I got the same too!
    So i think you are right

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.