P5 Edexcel 21st June - Ack! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by keisiuho)
I wonder if we should change arsinh1 to ln(1+root(2))
I think you probably should. I did (I think).
Camford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wonder if we should change arsinh1 to ln(1+root(2))
Definitely maybe
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
I think they will be happy if you left the answer in decimal form. They state explicitly if an exact answer is required, like question 4 on the 2002 paper here.
http://staffmail.wis.edu.hk/~mbamber..._June_2002.doc
IntegralAnomaly
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Definitely maybe
but they didn't ask to give our final answer involving logarithms,so u didn't have to.
qqqwwweee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 786)
I think they will be happy if you left the answer in decimal form. They state explicitly if an exact answer is required, like question 4 on the 2002 paper here.
http://staffmail.wis.edu.hk/~mbamber..._June_2002.doc
An answer with decimals is exact?!
kriztinae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
An answer with decimals is exact?!
no its not exact
coz ur giving it to a degree of accuracy
IntegralAnomaly
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kriztinae)
no its not exact
coz ur giving it to a degree of accuracy
1/2=0.5,thats fine
hatton02
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Llanas, I think you should take back your comment about me reading the question properly. I always(or nearly always!) read the question properly and I read it numerous times and properly again.
If you take a look at the exam question paper, I took the "using the definitions of coshx and sinhx in terms of their exponentials" to apply to part (a) only. I duly did this using e^x. I then took the second part as a separate part and didn't think the exponentials thing applied! They should have been more explicit...that is REALLY bad that if someone can misinterpret that question, then so can hundreds of others! That was bad wording and would be misunderstood by a lot of candidates in a practice situation let alone the real thing!

I think a complaint to EdExcel should arise. Stupid EdExcel, couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.
They gave me a U(37%) for an exam which I actually got 83%(A) for! Stupid board.
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hatton02)
If you take a look at the exam question paper, I took the "using the definitions of coshx and sinhx in terms of their exponentials" to apply to part (a) only. I duly did this using e^x. I then took the second part as a separate part and didn't think the exponentials thing applied! They should have been more explicit...that is REALLY bad that if someone can misinterpret that question, then so can hundreds of others! That was bad wording and would be misunderstood by a lot of candidates in a practice situation let alone the real thing!
They couldn't have done anything to make the question any more explicit. If you look at the way the question is set out its:

1) Using the definitions of coshx and sinhx in terms of their exponentials,
a) prove that cosh^2 x - sinh^2 x = 1

b) solve cosechx - 2cothx = 2, giving your answer in the form k lna where k and a are integers
I don't think you have grounds for a complaint because they've made it pretty clear that you should use the exponential definitions for the whole of question 1.
qqqwwweee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
They couldn't have done anything to make the question any more explicit. If you look at the way the question is set out its:

1) Using the definitions of coshx and sinhx in terms of their exponentials,
a) Prove that cosh^2 x - sinh^2 x = 1

b) Solve cosechx - 2cothx = 2, giving your answer in the form k lna where k and a are integers
I don't think you have grounds for a complaint because they've made it pretty clear that you should use the exponential definitions for the whole of question 1.
The words "prove" and "solve" actually start with small letters, which means they follow the sentence above.
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The words "prove" and "solve" actually start with small letters, which means they follow the sentence above.
But I wrote them with small letters - look again
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Stop reading into the words to much, this is supposed to be maths not bloody english, or philosophy.
qqqwwweee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Stop reading into the words to much, this is supposed to be maths not bloody english, or philosophy.
but you've got to understand the question thoroughly by reading it carefully. some of them may be misleading and so you have to look into the words to see what the question wants
Llamas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by hatton02)
Llanas, I think you should take back your comment about me reading the question properly. I always(or nearly always!) read the question properly and I read it numerous times and properly again.

I think a complaint to EdExcel should arise. Stupid EdExcel, couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.
They gave me a U(37%) for an exam which I actually got 83%(A) for! Stupid board.
While I don't mean to offend, I'm afraid to say that you've got no one to blame but yourself for misreading the question, and subsequently messing up your answer. The way the question is worded leaves no doubt as to what they mean. Any ambiguity was just a figment of your imagination. Furthermore, since using the exponential forms is the easiest way to solve the question, it serves you right for trying to show off :P

(Just kidding, but be careful in P6 next tuesday!)
Proteus
Report 14 years ago
The more I think or talk about p5, the worse it seems I did.

I completely screwed up intrinsics (as in, almost finished part a), on consideration my method for all of the arc length/area of revolution was heavily flawed, and I couldn't do anything after part a) on the rectangular hyperbola.

The rest was OK, I think. But I'll need to claw back plenty of marks on S2 (which was lovely) and P6 on tuesday. Looks like I have a bunch of P6 to revise - can anyone point me to any good revision notes or such?

-Proteus
tcn
Report 14 years ago
I'm in agreement with what seems to be the majority in that I thought it was absolutely hideous. After expecting it to be my best pure module, I came out of the exam almost ready to cry: if only it had been as my mock was... I did like the intrinsic coordinates question though, despite deciding in a lapse of concentration that sec^3(x) multiplied by sin x was sec^2(x).

Ah well, the other modules have gone ok (M3 and D1 so far this summer, P1-4, M1-2 and S1-2 previously) - just have to hope P6 is a little nicer on Tuesday...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (179)
80.27%
Leave (44)
19.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise