Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i'm currently in the second semester of my masters programme. Overall I have found the course to be very unfulfilling and engaging. I've been feeling like this for a while, it started a couple of weeks into the first semester, my logic was to power through the first semester and see how it goes. Unfortunately it hasn't got any better from my perspective. I feel like I may have made the wrong decision in taking this masters. The main reason I decided to be a postgraduate was because I had no idea what to do as a career and that this might help me make my mind up having an extra year to think over things, but instead, it's making me feel very low. The course doesn't interest me and I honestly don't think it's a very good course in general, poor organisation, poor delivery of teaching and support, staff etc. I've been applying for jobs and graduate schemes but haven't had any luck, which has brought me down even more.

I don't really know how to bring this up with my parents either, I've been fortunate enough for them to pay for my tuition fees. The thought of turning around saying I don't want to be here frightens me as they've invested a lot of money into this course and it would essentially all go to waste. I have no idea what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seiko)
    So i'm currently in the second semester of my masters programme. Overall I have found the course to be very unfulfilling and engaging. I've been feeling like this for a while, it started a couple of weeks into the first semester, my logic was to power through the first semester and see how it goes. Unfortunately it hasn't got any better from my perspective. I feel like I may have made the wrong decision in taking this masters. The main reason I decided to be a postgraduate was because I had no idea what to do as a career and that this might help me make my mind up having an extra year to think over things, but instead, it's making me feel very low. The course doesn't interest me and I honestly don't think it's a very good course in general, poor organisation, poor delivery of teaching and support, staff etc. I've been applying for jobs and graduate schemes but haven't had any luck, which has brought me down even more.

I don't really know how to bring this up with my parents either, I've been fortunate enough for them to pay for my tuition fees. The thought of turning around saying I don't want to be here frightens me as they've invested a lot of money into this course and it would essentially all go to waste. I have no idea what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Did you enjoy your undergraduate degree and how does your masters relate to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Did you enjoy your undergraduate degree and how does your masters relate to it?
    I loved my undergraduate degree, it was a similar area to my masters. My masters is a more specific area. I decided to take the masters because I thought I found it interesting and that it would help me decide on what to do, but it's done the exact the opposite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seiko)

personally, despite being disheartened, id stick at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    personally, despite being disheartened, id stick at it.
    Part of me says the same but the other part of me is saying if i'm not enjoying it and getting down about it, why should I continue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seiko)
    Part of me says the same but the other part of me is saying if i'm not enjoying it and getting down about it, why should I continue?
    Because it will be a waste of money for your parents, because what will you do otherwise if you dropped out now, because once it's over and you've got your Masters you will feel so proud of yourself for having achieved it and stuck with it.

If you drop out, will you get a job? You said you took a Masters because you weren't sure what you wanted to do for a career, do you know now or are you still clueless? It might suck and you may not be enjoying it but I'd stick with it even just for a lack of any other direction. It's only a year right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seiko)
    because it opens up doors for the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katarvi)
    Because it will be a waste of money for your parents, because what will you do otherwise if you dropped out now, because once it's over and you've got your Masters you will feel so proud of yourself for having achieved it and stuck with it.

If you drop out, will you get a job? You said you took a Masters because you weren't sure what you wanted to do for a career, do you know now or are you still clueless? It might suck and you may not be enjoying it but I'd stick with it even just for a lack of any other direction. It's only a year right?
    Still clueless, which is a worry if I drop out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seiko)
    Still clueless, which is a worry if I drop out
    Then don't. Work through it and do your best. As crap as you may feel about it right now, you have a roof over your head, a purpose to your life (your Masters) and time to figure out what you want to do with your life career wise. Drop out and you lose all of that and will feel ten times worse.

ReputationRep:
    +1 to Katarvi's advice,

ReputationRep:
    Have to say that I agree with the above advice. You don't have anything better or more constructive to go to if you drop out. If you did, then dropping out would make sense. As it is, for the sake of a few months' more effort, you'd be wasting thousands of pounds as well as all the effort you've put in.

Unfortunately, life isn't arranged so that you can just stop doing things because you don't enjoy them. I did jobs I didn't much like for a couple of decades because I had financial responsibilities which required that income. Look on your Masters as a good practice run. Plus at the end of it you'll have a Masters which will last for the rest of your life. Nobody will ever take that away from you.

ReputationRep:
    I would finish the masters if it is not compromising your mental or physical health. Use the time of being funded by your parents to think about what you do want to do while you're not under pressure to get a job any job. Use this time to your advantage. I did an evening course in a vocation whilst finishing my MA so I had something to go to even if I wasn't going to be using my masters.

For reference, you may be able to leave with a pgcert or pgdip of you don't complete the full masters.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.