Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Major interview anxiety - Medication? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if I sound dramatic / whiny / a victim but this is a very real thing for me. I do actually try very hard to be positive person just a massive worrier. I have social anxiety and I've got two interviews coming up, both in which I am very excited about and would be very happy to be offered either, as I feel they could be a ticket to the career I want. I know interview nerves are extremely common and they say practice makes perfect, the more you do it the easier it gets bla bla. Not the case for me unfortunately! No matter how prepared I am, it feels worse every time! In Year 10, I was reading aloud to the class in an English lesson, (normally my voice would tremble and I would shake but I could get through it, but every time it kept getting worse and I asked them not to ask me anymore) when suddenly I made a choking noise and had a huge panic attack in front of my whole class! I felt so sad, scared and humiliated that J never went back to school and ending up completing my GCSE's as an external candidate - my poor parents I have had some counselling and therapy which has helped me feel better about my anxiety but I still find certain situations hard/ impossible. It's the fear of what might happen and what people will think of me.
    Anyway, ramble over. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar thing, or could offer any tips/ comfort?! I get the exact same way in interviews especially if it is a group interview. I sometimes have to have Valium before otherwise I feel so awful I physically can't even get myself there. Luckily my Dad is taking me to them but I'm terrified! Sometimes the Valium doesn't really help or I take too much and it can make me sleepy and out of it - looking like a druggie probably wouldn't be the best first impression. Maybe I should just try and tackle it unaided or maybe should ask GP for some beta blockers? I'm usually fine in the actual job and don't need to rely on any meds in daily life, it's just the interview part!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If you want to try beta blockers you need to try them before you go. And you must not have asthma.

The first line will be them recommending help like "steps to wellbeing" which is counselling, and they might be reluctant to give you BB. Beta blockers just stop you having the physical reaction to anxiety. If the bit that gets you feeling awful is the racing heart etc then they may well help you. But as I said, definitely not something you want to use for the first time at the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply! I don't have asthma luckily so it could be okay. I think I will see how I feel in the morning before and take the Valium with me and see how things go... Sometimes just knowing it's there as an option lessens the anxiety. It's such a dreadful feeling though, I feel so teary and insecure and unsafe. I hope it's something I do eventually learn to overcome to some degree when I've gained a bit of general confidence in myself but right now I just need to get through it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.