The Student Room Group

M1 Jan 2016 IAL Model Answers (Edexcel)

Hi,
these are my model answers to the M1 IAL paper.

Very easy paper.

Maybe 2(a) might cause confusion.

4(c) might have been misread and answered poorly

Expect high boundaries. Last year quite a few UK papers had 67 for an A as the boundary, I wouldn't be surprised if it were 66-67 for an A for this paper.

Model answers :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3xSC6XqSy7kSmtiZTZkMWcwWkk/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: M1 Official mark scheme now attached
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kprime2

Thanks. Looks like I got 74/75. Oh well. I hope that's still full UMS. I reckon Q2 would trip a few people up as well as the co-ordinates of Q4(c).

Did the PDF site I give you come in useful? :smile:
Original post by kprime2
Hi,
these are my model answers to the M1 IAL paper.

Very easy paper.

Maybe 2(a) might cause confusion.
4(c) might have been misread and answered poorly

I would guess 64-65 for an A. Though it could possibly be higher. Last year some UK papers had 67 for an A as the boundary.

A higher quality file is available here :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3xSC6XqSy7kSmtiZTZkMWcwWkk/view?usp=sharing

Where's the paper? >_>
Original post by Zacken
Thanks. Looks like I got 74/75. Oh well. I hope that's still full UMS. I reckon Q2 would trip a few people up as well as the co-ordinates of Q4(c).

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
Reply 4
Original post by Imperion
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Urgh, and I thought I'd got 75/75. I'm just an arrogant prick. Serves me right. :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken

Probably 98-99 UMS I reckon. Still excellent. Where did you lose the mark? Q2?

And yes I used the compressor but I think it's better off just sharing googledoc files as you said, it's much easier

Original post by Imperion
Where's the paper? >_>

The paper is there too... Click the googledocs link it's more readable
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Urgh, and I thought I'd got 75/75. I'm just an arrogant prick. Serves me right. :tongue:

I don't get what you just said. I was just like "daaaaaaaamn" coz' I was like "Ugh, that's literally goalz" :indiff:

Original post by kprime2
The paper is there too... Click the googledocs link it's more readable

Oh~! Thanks m9
Reply 7
Original post by kprime2
Where did you lose the mark? Q2?

And yes I used the compressor but I think it's better off just sharing googledoc files as you said, it's much easier

Nah, missed the time-coordinate of max-velocity from A to max in the sketch. I did from O to max instead. Got 14/g.

Great. Glad that helped. Googledocs is v.easy. What about the merging individual files together?
(edited 8 years ago)
In Q.4 Would I lose the marks for the whole question if I calculated the parts based on 11.2 being the initial speed ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Probably lost like 8 marks out of complete foolishness. Reckon I'd still get an A?
ahhhhhh....in the last question , I wrote down T - g/2 = 2ga instead of T - g/2 = 2a....I knew the method to calculate the latter parts, how many marks would i lose in this question in total....?
Reply 11
For the last question, I used cos(a) instead of sin (a) in part b. The rest of my answers are wrong because of that but my methods are correct. How many marks do I lose in the whole question?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by OmarKG
Probably lost like 8 marks out of complete foolishness. Reckon I'd still get an A?

Should be at least an A yes. I think it's quite possible that the boundary could be 66-67 for A, since it was a relatively straightforward paper and IAL students tend to perform well. In this case you'd be just scraping it.
Reply 13
Original post by PlayerBB
In Q.4 Would I lose the marks for the whole question if I calculated the parts based on 11.2 being the initial speed ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 12103763d
ahhhhhh....in the last question , I wrote down T - g/2 = 2ga instead of T - g/2 = 2a....I knew the method to calculate the latter parts, how many marks would i lose in this question in total....?

Original post by reallya
For the last question, I used cos(a) instead of sin (a) in part b. The rest of my answers are wrong because of that but my methods are correct. How many marks do I lose in the whole question?

I'm not sure about how much marks lost etc, but here's the man who could help @TeeEm
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken

What about the merging individual files together?

Don't need to do that anymore since I've found a brilliant app which allows me to scan via my phone and put them all in one document. Thanks though :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by kprime2
Don't need to do that anymore since I've found a brilliant app which allows me to scan via my phone and put them all in one document. Thanks though :biggrin:

Camscanner is great, I use it myself. Glad you're catching up with the times. :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by kprime2
Probably 98-99 UMS I reckon. Still excellent.

Argh, that's a pity. I was going for full UMS. Oh well. Hopefully Q2 will have proven challenging for enough people.
Original post by Zacken
Argh, that's a pity. I was going for full UMS. Oh well. Hopefully Q2 will have proven challenging for enough people.

Don't lose hope. C3 had quite a lot of 74-75ers for full and this summer we all thought that wouldn't change. But it went down to 71 somehow.

Grade boundaries are weird. I didn't do the paper so take this with a pinch of salt, but I think you might well still have full
Reply 18
Original post by Student403
Don't lose hope. C3 had quite a lot of 74-75ers for full and this summer we all thought that wouldn't change. But it went down to 71 somehow.

Grade boundaries are weird. I didn't do the paper so take this with a pinch of salt, but I think you might well still have full

Thanks for this! I can only hope.
Reply 19
M1 Official Mark scheme now attached

Quick Reply

Latest