Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chartered Accountancy confusion! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but this is probably going to be a bit of a complicated and lengthy question from someone relatively clueless. I currently work in a Stock Control role for an online retail site. I deal with invoices and the finance department somewhat but I have little to no knowledge of accountancy. I do, however, hold a degree in Mathematics. Due to severe illness during my course I, unfortunately, came out with a 3rd class degree. I do, however, have 390 UCAS points (A-level results AAB - one of which is Maths)
    I am ideally wanting to become a Chartered Accountant. I have researched the possible avenues I can take into this but am a little confused as to where I begin and where my background puts me in terms of starting off. I've looked into Graduate schemes but these all ask for 2:1 degree classifications, which I don't have. My original plan was to do the AAT whilst working in my current role (just by studying in my spare time) but would, obviously, much prefer a job that provides on the job training. Also, after researching accountancy, I would prefer to go into Chartered accountancy. I believe that ACCA is the way to do this?

Can anyone give me some advice as to what I should do/what my first step should be? Am I going to have to start off on the same foot as those without a degree? Is there any chance that I can get a place on a Graduate Scheme?Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm hard working and I believe I am more than capable of studying hard whilst also working hard. I've had experience in full-time employment so I have gained disciplinary and time-management skills - I just had some bad luck whilst doing my degree.ThanksCheryl

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

A lot of the graduate schemes have the ability to look past not having a 2:1 if there are 'extenuating circumstances' which I believe would include a serious illness whilst taking your finals. For more information I would directly email graduate recruitment to ask about this for any graduate scheme you may be interested in.

If this is route is not available to you some AAT-ACA schemes are open to graduates who graduated without a 2:1 (some prefer to leave these positions to school leavers). For example;

I know historically Moore Stephens has been open to allowing graduates on their AAT scheme, (I can't promise this is still the case)

https://www.moorestephenscareers.co....qyzaBt0oxXWazs

Smith & Williamson also has a large AAT intake but again I'm unsure if they allow graduates on their scheme.

https://smithandwilliamson.earcu.com.../find/results/

There's also the option to self study, the ACCA and try and move in somewhere after you've passed a few exams but I think other people could probably give you better advice on this route than I can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.