Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much would you like earn a year (what would you be happy with?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not even going to lie.
    Anything over 300k would make me happy.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Surprised at people actively aiming for £30k. It's pretty difficult to live in your own place on £30k with a decent lifestyle and still be able to save money.

Maybe that's just me, though :dontknow:
    I'm on 27k, live independently and live very comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    It's definitely achievable if you're willing to not be a muppet with your budgeting skills and don't live in a ridiculously expensive area.

My brother is on 25k now and he has more money than he knows what to do with, lives in a nice house in a nice (not expensive) area. He can very easily just go out and buy a new TV on the whim if he wants one and not worry about money, in fact he bought 2 TVs as Christmas presents a long with other expensive electronics and gadgets for family members.

My aim really is to be able to live as care free as my brother (though I don't tend to buy loads of electronics )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Man, we must have different definitions of 'very comfortably'!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    £30,000

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What is your definition?

ReputationRep:
    What is you definition of very comfortably? Like Jordan Belfort? xD

ReputationRep:
    Frankly if you work in London in a professional role and you're not making at least £50-60k after a few years of work, then you're getting robbed blind, in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    What is your definition?
    (Original post by DK_Boy12)
    What is you definition of very comfortably? Like Jordan Belfort? xD
    Nah not at all.

Generally I aim to be putting away £400-800pcm into savings/investments.

I eat out about 2-3 times per week with friends (with more than one course and drinks at a nice place, that is). Have drinks at a lounge/cocktail bar once or twice a week. Be able to buy a few nice pieces of clothing a few times a month. Go to a few music events a month. Live somewhere with extra space inside and out with nice furniture.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Nah not at all.

Generally I aim to be aiming to put away £400-800pcm into savings/investments.

I eat out about 2-3 times per week with friends (with more than one course and drinks at a nice place, that is). Have drinks at a lounge/cocktail bar once or twice a week. Be able to buy a few nice pieces of clothing a few times a month. Go to a few music events a month. Live somewhere with extra space inside and out with nice furniture.

:dontknow:
    You just described the level of living of someone who earns £30k after tax xD

ReputationRep:
    You just described the level of living of someone who earns £30k after tax xD
    Again, we're not talking about someone who earns £30k after tax. We're talking about someone who earns £27-30k pre-tax.

ReputationRep:
    Again, we're not talking about someone who earns £30k after tax. We're talking about someone who earns £27-30k pre-tax.
    £30k pre-tax is £26k after tax, which is not that much different :/

ReputationRep:
    £30k pre-tax is £26k after tax, which is not that much different :/
    £30k after tax, student loan and pension is £21,100.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    RIP Money

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My degree starting salary is at £38,000

ReputationRep:
    You can't count that as an expense, pension is an investment, which you may choose or not to do, and student loan is subjective, you might not even have one...

ReputationRep:
    You can't count that as an expense, pension is an investment, which you may choose or not to do, and student loan is subjective, you might not even have one...
    Good luck with your financial planning goals of 2016.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Pensions aren't necessarily deducted from salary. Mine isn't, in fact it's added on as an extra 10% of takehome.

ReputationRep:
    Surprised at people actively aiming for £30k. It's pretty difficult to live in your own place on £30k with a decent lifestyle and still be able to save money.

Maybe that's just me, though :dontknow:
    Were you raised at Clarence house perchance?

30K would be living the dream for me. Personally I'll be over the moon to finally earn 21K after earning 12-15K for 4 years. 21K means independence for me - pay my own rent/bills, survive by myself. 21K+ means a life of luxury (i.e. money left over after rent and bills for whatever I like). I grew up in a household on less than 21K with 2 kids so 21K+ is more than comfortable to me.

I can't actually understand how someone would think 30K as a single person would be anything less than comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Were you raised at Clarence house perchance?

30K would be living the dream for me. Personally I'll be over the moon to finally earn 21K after earning 12-15K for 4 years. 21K means independence for me - pay my own rent/bills, survive by myself. 21K+ means a life of luxury (i.e. money left over after rent and bills for whatever I like). I grew up in a household on less than 21K with 2 kids so 21K+ is more than comfortable to me.

I can't actually understand how someone would think 30K as a single person would be anything less than comfortable.
    Not at all. I just work like a dog for my salary and hope to have a nice lifestyle in return.

At the end of the day, I appreciate it's all relative and we all have different perceptions of lifestyle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.