Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much would you like earn a year (what would you be happy with?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Good luck with your financial planning goals of 2016.
    If there is one thing that I know how to do is budgeting, you are the one who needs luck because apparently £30k a year is living tight for you xD

I'm a college student, pay rent (shared house obviously), managed to put away £5k for uni over 2 years, whilst going on holidays 2/3 times a year (this year I'm going 4 times, Amsterdam, Iceland and Portugal twice) and having nights out 2/3 times a week with the occasional meal.

Ok, might not be the fanciest restaurants and the pochest cocktail bars, but I still have a pretty decent life now on £8/£10k a year, I'm pretty sure I would be fine with an hypothetical £30k

But obviously yeah, it's all subjective to each one's perception of the matter

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I just work like a dog for my salary and hope to have a nice lifestyle as a consequence.

At the end of the day, I appreciate it's all relative and we all have different perceptions of lifestyle.
    I work like a dog for mine and have barely anything to show for it.

I guess it depends on upbringing and perception of wealth. I can see how 30K+ would be an ambition for someone raised with parents in professional jobs etc - they'd want to 'match' their financial success. I just don't see how it could make them think that ~30K would be a struggle - I suppose, if they've never experienced life in a household less than £40K they might automatically assume that it must be a struggle not to shop at Waitrose every week and not run a brand new car...or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Nah not at all.

Generally I aim to be aiming to put away £400-800pcm into savings/investments.

I eat out about 2-3 times per week with friends (with more than one course and drinks at a nice place, that is). Have drinks at a lounge/cocktail bar once or twice a week. Be able to buy a few nice pieces of clothing a few times a month. Go to a few music events a month.

:dontknow:
    I don't see how that isn't achievable on 30k unless you have high rent.

My brother is on 25k and can afford all those things you mentioned though more in the middle of 600pcm savings, as well as a holiday if he fancies. Though he's not been on one in a while, for different reasons.

ReputationRep:
    What I earn now: £100k+ year

Anything less than that and you're a peasant

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    When I left uni, the average graduate salary was £21.5k.. so I considered anything above that to be good. As it was.. my first full time job paid £15.5k and I had loads of disposable income.
    Yh I'm sure you did....living like a peasant in medieval britian

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dopesmoker)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's called good budgeting xD Look at my post on the beggining of the page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I don't see how that isn't achievable on 30k unless you have high rent.

My brother is on 25k and can afford all those things you mentioned though more in the middle of 600pcm savings, as well as a holiday if he fancies. Though he's not been on one in a while, for different reasons.
    You mean 25k after tax. £25k gross is like £1.6k a month.

How high is "high rent"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    What?
    I am saying you're neglect to mention the fact that the only way you would have lots of disposable income on that salary is because you likely had no life / spent any money at all.

ReputationRep:
    I am saying you're neglect to mention the fact that the only way you would have lots of disposable income on that salary is because you likely had no life / spent any money at all.
    Neither.

I had well over £500 a month spending money, and lived with 2 of my best friends. Both the finances and social life were very healthy thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Neither.

I had well over £500 a month spending money, and lived with 2 of my best friends. Both the finances and social life were very healthy thanks
    The only way that's possible is

a) You budgeted life a mothaf***er, and bought the cheap version of literally everything
    b) You lived somewhere where cost of living is low and 15k is decent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneMusketeer)
    You mean 25k after tax. £25k gross is like £1.6k a month.

How high is "high rent"?
    No he is on 25k pretax.

Well I'd personally say paying anything more than 6-700 a month is highish rent anything above that I think is silly (though bare in mind not talking about a family living a 5 bed house, this is 2-3 bed places at most), but then I live up north. My brother pays £450 a month and has a lovely 2 bed house in a cul de sac

ReputationRep:
    The only way that's possible is

a) You budgeted life a mothaf***er, and bought the cheap version of literally everything
    b) You lived somewhere where cost of living is low and 15k is decent
    £15.5k is £1,135 per month
    Rent was £850 a month + bills. Split 3 ways and that's about £400 each.
    Food for say £200 a month leaves over £500 spending cash.

Hardly extreme budgeting or low cost living area.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be more than happy on £30,000 a year to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Neither.

lol don't bother he obviously trying to get a rise out of people, in his original post anything below 100k is for peasants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    No he is on 25k is pretax.

Well I'd personally say paying anything more than 6-700 a month is highish rent anything above that I think is silly (though bare in mind not talking about a family living a 5 bed house, this is 2-3 bed places at most), but then I live up north. My brother pays £450 a month and has a lovely 2 bed house in a cul de sac
    You would struggle to rent a 1 bed crackden for £450pcm where I am and I'm not anywhere especially expensive.

ReputationRep:
    You would struggle to rent a 1 bed crackden for £450pcm where I am and I'm not anywhere especially expensive.
    Well clearly I disagree with your opinion on what is and isn't expensive then.

ReputationRep:
    £40k+ by the time im 30
    £60k+ by the time im 40
    £80+by the time im 50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    £15.5k is £1,135 per month
    Rent was £850 a month + bills. Split 3 ways and that's about £400 each.
    Food for say £200 a month leaves over £500 spending cash.

Hardly extreme budgeting or low cost living area.
    Your rent was £65 per week per person?

Ah so I was right, you lived somewhere where 15k is decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    £52,067

Anything past that is great.
    Those figures are out of line at the lower-mid range in my line of work.

Spoiler:
    Show
    they're a lot higher until you get to head of department range

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.