Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much would you like earn a year (what would you be happy with?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dopesmoker)
    lol at all the people who have made posts like this one.

You do realise that for most people, pay does not continually go up linearly until you retire. It actually gets to a peak around when you're middle aged (40-50) and then it stays flat (or even declines). See chart on this page:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...at-age-38.html

I'm an investment banker and even though my salary goes up by tens of thousands of pounds every year, even bankers dont have continual salary progression.
    Shouldn't you be at work at this time? Lol.

ReputationRep:
    sik hunnit n fiddy dollas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    Shouldn't you be at work at this time? Lol.
    lol I am at work. Have some free time.

ReputationRep:
    lol I am at work. Have some free time.
    Heh, "Free time" at an IB? Righhhht.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    Heh, "Free time" at an IB? Righhhht.....
    Well, I guess you've seen right through me.

How are you so wise?

ReputationRep:
    lol at all the people who have made posts like this one.

You do realise that for most people, pay does not continually go up linearly until you retire. It actually gets to a peak around when you're middle aged (40-50) and then it stays flat (or even declines). See chart on this page:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...at-age-38.html

I'm an investment banker and even though my salary goes up by tens of thousands of pounds every year, even bankers dont have continual salary progression.
    dont take my dream away from me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliehancock50)
    Yes that makes sense. In northern England the average salary is around 12 - 15k I believe!
    That's a joke right?

Outside of Greater London there really isn't a massive variation in the average with pretty much everywhere averaging above £20k.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    When you have left uni/college/6th form.

I would be happy with 26k. (per year)
    If i can hit £30k and own my own home then i'll have beaten average and shall consider myself a success financially.

Ideally (based on tax proposals to the end of this parliament) i'd want £3k per month which is about £46k in 2020 by the end of this parliament.

ReputationRep:
    When you have left uni/college/6th form.

I would be happy with 26k. (per year)
    £200k eventually I guess?

ReputationRep:
    The people who think they will just walk into a job with a starting salary of over 35K when they graduate need a reality check lol

ReputationRep:
    Well, I guess you've seen right through me.

How are you so wise?

I really dont understand what you get out of lying!
    Investment banker? You sound more like a 16 year old who spends to much time on TSR!
    Stop the lies man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirAlexFerguson)
    The people who think they will just walk into a job with a starting salary of over 35K when they graduate need a reality check lol
    Unless they study economics,engineering,computer science, a hard science and come out with a First classification and are studying at a Top tier university. So quite possible, but peoples expectation are still too high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackSweetness)
    I really dont understand what you get out of lying!
    Investment banker? You sound more like a 16 year old who spends to much time on TSR!
    Stop the lies man
    Answer me this - of all the lies I could possibly tell, why would "I'm an investment banker" be the lie I choose to tell?

ReputationRep:
    Answer me this - of all the lies I could possibly tell, why would "I'm an investment banker" be the lie I choose to tell?
    You tell me, your the one saying you are one when your clearly not!
    Last time i checked investment bankers didnt have time to troll on a students forum for mainly teens and young adults

ReputationRep:
    You tell me, your the one saying you are one when your clearly not!
    Last time i checked investment bankers didnt have time to troll on a students forum for mainly teens and young adults
    Ok, well I'm sure that sort of myopic thinking will do wonders for you later in life.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well I'm sure that sort of myopic thinking will do wonders for you later in life.
    Says the troll!

ReputationRep:
    Says the troll!
    fyi you do realise calling me a troll, doesnt actually make what you're saying any more credible?

ReputationRep:
    fyi you do realise calling me a troll, doesnt actually make what you're saying any more credible?
    You do realise saying your an investment banker on a student forum, doesnt make you anymore of an investment banker than the average binman
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rftra)
    My degree starting salary is at £38,000
    Degrees don't confer salaries (apart from Medicine), the job you go into does. When will people get this into their brains?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Degrees don't confer salaries (apart from Medicine), they job you go into does. When will people get this into their brains?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Stfu

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.