The Student Room Group

Is my 2:2 journalism degree worthless

I have a 2:2 in journalism. I did some freelance work to build up my profile and applied for a job at my local newspaper. Even though I did freelance, they said they prefer graduates with first class grade. They said Journalism is extremely competitive field.

So is my degree worthless in journalism field? I myself think so. Journalism is changing fast and newspaper readership is at all time low, so is TV news rating. I can see why they are very competitive. I feel like my degree is a waste. It's not worth £27,000. I regret going into journalism :frown:

Please be honest with your answers.
Original post by DaFukRU
I have a 2:2 in journalism. I did some freelance work to build up my profile and applied for a job at my local newspaper. Even though I did freelance, they said they prefer graduates with first class grade. They said Journalism is extremely competitive field.

So is my degree worthless in journalism field? I myself think so. Journalism is changing fast and newspaper readership is at all time low, so is TV news rating. I can see why they are very competitive. I feel like my degree is a waste. It's not worth £27,000. I regret going into journalism :frown:

Please be honest with your answers.

It wasn't a waste of time as it means you can tick the box on job applications to say you have a degree. As for becoming a journalist, you are correct that it is a notoriously difficult thing to break into. I would probably advise you to get a job doing whatever else you might somewhat enjoy and continue to write while you do this so that hopefully you can eventually transition into journalism of some sort.

Honestly, I always advise people to study English rather than journalism if they want to have a professional writing career, but your degree is no better or worse than the vast majority of others at the same grade.

These things take work and take time. Keep striving, that's all you can do.
do another degree x or found a company

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending