Doing the theory before practical lessons?

Watch
vergo97
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I'm thinking of doing my theory test to get it out the way and then starting on the actual driving lessons. I had a couple of months of lessons about a year ago so I have driven a bit but not for a while.
Has anyone done the theory test while not having lessons? Will it put me at a disadvantage?
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not too difficult really, the app really helped me a lot and learn the roadsigns. Driving on the road doesn't help that much tbh.
GuestyGuest
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vergo97)
Hi,
I'm thinking of doing my theory test to get it out the way and then starting on the actual driving lessons. I had a couple of months of lessons about a year ago so I have driven a bit but not for a while.
Has anyone done the theory test while not having lessons? Will it put me at a disadvantage?
I did my theory test before lessons and found it okay. I used the app, books, and practised the hazard perception test online.

Doing the theory first helped while driving in terms of road signs etc. It also meant it was out of the way by the time I had to take the practical. Definitely an advantage!
Soulfood
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd definitely recommend doing it before lessons - all the content is better learned from the written material rather than road experience. You'll know all the road signs and your hazard perception will be better so it'll make your practicals more efficient. Made me feel much more confident on the road compared to lessons before I'd passed my theory.
ikhan94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its not really that hard, you can do it just by common sense questions, i did it without any lessons but i got the gist of each questions.
Soulfood
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not hard, but by no means is it all common sense. Some questions indeed are but the majority is factual from the Highway Code and you wouldn't know it all just from life experience. Stopping distances, signs, legal requirements to have a car on the road, vehicle safety, etc.
MevMev
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i bought the highway code but its literally so boring i just cant read it
but i really want to pass my theory and start driving
any advice??
Soulfood
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree..it's v boring! Just start doing practice tests! Use free or paid revision tools/apps, or buy one of those DVDs. Test, test, test! And then read up in between.
Ravenous
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MevMev)
i bought the highway code but its literally so boring i just cant read it
but i really want to pass my theory and start driving
any advice??
About 70% of the questions are common sense. But you should learn specific things like what the different colour shape signs tell you (as well as what they individually mean) what colour the studs are at the side of a motorway, what the different types of crossings (e.g. zebra) are (and which ones bikes are allowed to travel on), what the different speed limits are on the different types of roads. Learn these things and you should be fine.
ThisCantBeChanged
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I also did my theory before practical lessons. Used the official app to revise the theory and hazard perception test only, did not read the highway code at all but I passed, its just common sense really and practicing mock tests over again helps to remember.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (580)
34.2%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (698)
41.16%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (341)
20.11%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.54%

Watched Threads