Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A bit of existentialism Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, this one uh... It's not finished yet. And I'm probably not even going to finish it. I would like to know what you guys think about the idea, though. It's about a nihilist who's only resort is to play "games" with people involving being antisocial. Hedonism is the answer, and his implementation of it is his games. He lives in a town with crazy people. He is an intellectual, and he hates everyone. It contains some pg-13 soft erotic content.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc New-Project.doc (44.0 KB, 68 views)
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I really like this - particularly the dialogue. It's got a great flow to it. Have you read much Chuck Palahniuk? Your style here reminds me a little of his. Great stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    I really like this - particularly the dialogue. It's got a great flow to it. Have you read much Chuck Palahniuk? Your style here reminds me a little of his. Great stuff!
    Hey, thanks a lot! That really means a lot to me. I've read exactly 70 pages of Fight Club That's it. I'm not denying that I might have been influenced by him, though. I've seen the film, and I just can't bring myself to finish it at the moment. Although, it is interesting to see the way in which Palahniuk is keeping the story consistent without giving away the secret. Having seen the film, I'm probably being overly analytical with the book. Knowing its general structure already, his style and the elements of the story must have stuck in my mind. The uh... the existential angst if you will, has been particularly strong lately, so I decided to put the book on hold and read Sartre's Nausea. I'm finding it quite enjoyable so far.

ReputationRep:
    I like your concept The idea of the MC playing games with people is fun, and one that's not done very often. The witty dialogue is also good - one thing I would note is that your pacing seems to get better as it progresses, but the opening seems (to me) a little off. Maybe add in some more description to break up the dialogue a little?

I don't pretend to be an expert by any means though Do you know anyone that does English that you can get to proofread it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaedra)
    I like your concept The idea of the MC playing games with people is fun, and one that's not done very often. The witty dialogue is also good - one thing I would note is that your pacing seems to get better as it progresses, but the opening seems (to me) a little off. Maybe add in some more description to break up the dialogue a little?

I don't pretend to be an expert by any means though Do you know anyone that does English that you can get to proofread it?
    Thank you very much! Any kind of input is very important for me And I think you're right about the pacing. It's a problem that I've had for a while. Usually, I can convey the main point of something, but I always struggle to make it meatier. A part of me just says, "what's the point?" Does the reader really care about what a particular pedestal looks like, or how the grooves on people's faces are structured, or what the smell of something is. I have a habit of being brief, and it's something I need to get rid off if I want to improve my writing. I do recognise this problem when I write, but when I try to add some more content not strictly related to the progression of the plot, I just stall and look at the screen and... contemplate my existence No, I should really stop with all this existential stuff. It's not that bad. Anywho, I'll be working on improving that particular skill.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinfire)
    I have a habit of being brief, and it's something I need to get rid off if I want to improve my writing.
    It wasn't a problem for Hemingway Lean writing can still convey a lot of meaning - arguably more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    It wasn't a problem for Hemingway Lean writing can still convey a lot of meaning - arguably more.
    Oh, for sure. Is that called minimalism? Not sure. Then again, writing like that is a skill of its own. I'm not sure mere brevity is enough (brevity of my kind, anyway)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.