3rd Year medicine degree options

Watch this thread
Th3R3al
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys,

Currently, I'm a first year medic studying at cambridge. I just wanted to know what degrees I could do in my 3rd year. I know about the part 2 sciences but I really want to take a break from them and try something different. I have heard I can take other courses like computer science, economics etc. Is this true? and is this actually possible? I wouldnt mind doing biomed but I feel I'm going to learn all of biomed in the following years so it's kinda pointless..

Thanks!
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Th3R3al)
Hi guys,

Currently, I'm a first year medic studying at cambridge. I just wanted to know what degrees I could do in my 3rd year. I know about the part 2 sciences but I really want to take a break from them and try something different. I have heard I can take other courses like computer science, economics etc. Is this true? and is this actually possible? I wouldnt mind doing biomed but I feel I'm going to learn all of biomed in the following years so it's kinda pointless..

Thanks!
You have to do a Part II subject in your third year. Things used to be more flexible, when you could do a Part IA from another Tripos. But since you have to do a Part II, it's difficult to do something too "different", as you wouldn't have the necessary prior knowledge to do a third-year course in that subject.

People tend to do a Part II single subject BioNatSci option, or the Part II BBS. A small number of other options may be possible, eg Management, Biological Anthropology, maybe a few others.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
You have to do a Part II subject in your third year. Things used to be more flexible, when you could do a Part IA from another Tripos. But since you have to do a Part II, it's difficult to do something too "different", as you wouldn't have the necessary prior knowledge to do a third-year course in that subject.

People tend to do a Part II single subject BioNatSci option, or the Part II BBS. A small number of other options may be possible, eg Management, Biological Anthropology, maybe a few others.
So, if you did Management (a Part II only course), would you get a BA in that, and then another in Medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
So, if you did Management (a Part II only course), would you get a BA in that, and then another in Medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, you would get a BA degree (remember, these have no overall subject or classification), consisting of a Part II in Management, a Part IB in MVST, and a Part IA in MVST.

Medicine (MVST) only has Part IA and IB, so regardless of what your third year subject is, the Part II isn't in "medicine" as such.

See here: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/tripos.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (112)
68.29%
No (34)
20.73%
I didn't use it to prepare (18)
10.98%

Watched Threads