Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Quest Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello there!

I am presently studying AQA A2 Biology, OCR B Salters A2 Chemistry, OCR B A2 Physics and an EPQ. My predictions are A*A*Aa respectively.

I have been fortunate to receive an offer of AAB to read Geology at the beautiful Durham University. My plan after this is to complete a PhD, spend some time in research and then go into science journalism or teaching (or both!).

My aim in having this blog is to document my progress, reduce my levels of procrastination by being somewhat accountable to it and externalize any exam-related neuroses I may develop.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. My first update will be on my EPQ.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any extra-curriculars or creative outlets?
    Did you do similarly well in your AS and GCSEs?

This is a great idea. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    Do you have any extra-curriculars or creative outlets?
    Did you do similarly well in your AS and GCSEs?

This is a great idea. Good luck!
    Thanks!

I sing in a classical youth choir and play the oboe in several orchestras. Music is a very potent and necessary form of stress relief.

In my GCSEs, I achieved 9A* and 4A grades. My AS levels did not go so well, with Biology and Chemistry A, Physics B and Maths D. I am resitting one of my Physics AS exams to push my UMS up. Maths is really not my strong point and I was petrified of those exams. An important lesson learnt there for me: never do anything that will make you miserable.

So this year, I am hoping for a set of results worth celebrating and to remain mostly sane getting there.

ReputationRep:
    As promised, an insight into my EPQ.

My title is what some might call unconventional: Sperm selection in birds: male-male competition or female choice? Despite the oddness, researching this area of evolutionary biology and behavioural ecology has been fascinating. I am now working on my final essay, will be giving my presentation on the 10/02 and shall hand in all my paperwork after half term.

It has been an awful lot of work and in the end didn't make a massive difference to my UCAS application, but it was a useful experience. I would only recommend taking the EPQ if you have a topic you love which is very easy to find resources on. Mine, as you might have guessed, was a bit niche.

Things I need to do
    1. Finish my EPQ essay, including glossary and source analysis, then sort out my presentation.
    2. Find sources for my Physics Research Briefing on the topic of geochronology.
    3. Once my mocks have been marked, check I am secure with the first of the two A2 papers for each subject.
    4. Learn stats for my mock Bio EMPA.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Interesting EPQ topic

Good luck with A*A*A (and meeting the Durham offer..)

:rave:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Interesting EPQ topic

Good luck with A*A*A (and meeting the Durham offer..)

:rave:
    Ahaha thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello again!

My mock results were shambolic: C in Bio, C in Chem and D in Physics. Let's hope I can sort this out. Not all bad news though, as I received a Gold medal in the British Biology Olympiad and have been invited to compete in the next round. I have very nearly finished my EPQ, having done the mock presentation on Wednesday. I hope to hand my production log in before half term, meaning I can spend half term writing my Physics research briefing.

After half term, I am going to start proper revision. To solve my problems of procrastinating, I have decided to stay in college from 8.45 until 16.30 every day, using all of my free periods to get all my work and revision done. Then when I go home, there is a clear divide and I can relax guilt free. And also exercise, as walking an hour each day doesn't really count. I shall give you an idea of this newly devised timetable.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    MONDAY
    • Music ensemble
    • Chem work
    • Physics lesson
    • Chem support session
    • Chem lesson
    • Bio lesson
    • Music ensemble/oboe practice (alternate weeks)
    • University Challenge!
    TUESDAY
    • Bio work
    • Chem work
    • Physics work
    • PLD
    • Physics lesson
    • Chem lesson
    • Oboe practice
    • Swimming
    WEDNESDAY
    • Bio lesson
    • Bio work
    • Chem work
    • Physics support session
    • Physics work
    • Music ensembles
    THURSDAY
    • Physics lesson
    • Chem lesson
    • Bio lesson
    • Bio support session
    • Bio work
    • Chem work
    • Oboe practice
    • Swimming
    FRIDAY
    • Oboe lesson
    • Chem lesson
    • Physics lesson
    • Physics work
    • Music ensemble
    • Bio lesson
    • Bio work

ReputationRep:
    Hello again!

I today received my college allocation from Durham - St. Cuthbert's, my first choice! I wish I was off to uni tomorrow, I cannot wait. Of course, one must achieve grades first.

This week so far has been unproductive. I have researched the area of geochronology in fine detail for my written physics coursework and am finishing off my EPQ Production Log. My plan for the rest of the half term is to finish all of my EPQ work, bar the actual presentation, which got pushed back to the 24/02 as I lost my voice last week, to complete a draft of the physics report and to get some revision done. However, I am trying to use this half term as a period to relax, as it is the last chance to do so before the real work starts.

So, what does the next half term hold? I have mock resits and several class tests immediately after the break and am eager to redeem myself after my terrible mocks. I will be starting my mock biology EMPA, which means a return to dull practicals involving either leaves or maggots. I will also be commencing my new punishing schedule (as outlined on my previous post) and hope that this will pay off!

I have the overnight visit to Durham to look forward to, which falls just after my 18th birthday. There are also many concerts this term, capped by my choir's tour to the Vatican at Easter to sing in St. Peter's Basilica. I am incredibly excited to be performing in such a colossal building and to experience the city of Rome. I hope that this will motivate me to work very hard for the weeks before.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.