Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE Options Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, i was just wondering, i have to pick my options this weekend and im undecided what to take. I have narrowed my choices down to
    History,
    French
    PE
    Media studies.
    I have to pick three out of the four stated above and just wondered if anybody has any past experiences of these subjects or if anybody knows what these courses involve. Anything will help, cheers

ReputationRep:
    I did PE, loved it and it wasn't particularly hard. One of my favourite subjects!
    I had friends that did French (I did german), they say it was the easiest of all the languages offered by my school (German, French, Spanish).
    A lot of my friends did history. They all loved it but it was a LOT of hard work, however they all still loved it!
    Sorry don't have any experiences of media studies!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did History and French, both I would say are really good but History does require alot of revision! French consists of Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking so you'll learn the content and grammar first and apply it using those skills. For History, it's alot of essay writing, when I did it we learnt about Nazi Germany, Civil rights in the US etc.. and after learning the content we had to apply the knowledge in essay questions and also there was a bit of source evaluation.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treekid)
    I did PE, loved it and it wasn't particularly hard. One of my favourite subjects!
    I had friends that did French (I did german), they say it was the easiest of all the languages offered by my school (German, French, Spanish).
    A lot of my friends did history. They all loved it but it was a LOT of hard work, however they all still loved it!
    Sorry don't have any experiences of media studies!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooting_stars)
    I did History and French, both I would say are really good but History does require alot of revision! French consists of Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking so you'll learn the content and grammar first and apply it using those skills. For History, it's alot of essay writing, when I did it we learnt about Nazi Germany, Civil rights in the US etc.. and after learning the content we had to apply the knowledge in essay questions and also there was a bit of source evaluation.

Hope this helps
    Thankyou, this helped alot! x

ReputationRep:
    How much do you enjoy each of these subjects currently, and how well do you do in them? In my opinion, GCSE History and French are quite similar to History and French in KS3. PE obviously does involve lots of physical activity, but it also includes lots of theory about the human body, so you'll find it easier if you're good at biology. I didn't do Media Studies, but from what I hear it has lots of people who thought it would just be watching films, and didn't like having to write essays.

It doesn't matter too much, but History and French are more well-respected than PE or Media Studies. History in particular gives you more A-level choices. I would definitely recommend doing History if you aren't doing Geography as well (though there's nothing wrong with doing both).

ReputationRep:
    So ive now picked my options in this order
    1.French
    2.PE
    3.History
    4.Media Studies
    5.Food technology
    Numbers 4 and 5 are just back up options though. Thanks everbody

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meggzxox)
    Hiya, i was just wondering, i have to pick my options this weekend and im undecided what to take. I have narrowed my choices down to
    History,
    French
    PE
    Media studies.
    I have to pick three out of the four stated above and just wondered if anybody has any past experiences of these subjects or if anybody knows what these courses involve. Anything will help, cheers
    French is difficult if you're not organised with your assessments. Be sure to prepare yourself as it takes up a huge percentage of your final mark. A good grade in a language will look great for your CV/applications.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what type of student you are. History and French would be seen as the more academic options but that doesn't mean Media and P.E are walks in the park. I understand Media , French and P.E are more coursework based.
    I do French and I find it challenging and a little dull, don't do it because it looks good on your CV like I did, do it because you either enjoy it or you are good at it.
    I also do History and enjoy it. Again it's a lot a of hard work just like any subject but is interesting.
    As well as this I do BTEC P.E and dislike it. I was forced by the school into doing it so don't let my opinion discourage you if for you enjoy it. It's the most coursework out of all of them and there is an exam in the one I do. There is a lot of factual knowledge to understand and learn for the exam.
    I can't say much about Media as I don't take it but a friend of mine does and she likes it, I know there is a lot of coursework for that too.
    The only advice I can give you will have probably been given but it is do what you enjoy, that way you'll get the best grades.

ReputationRep:
    i do french and history and love them both!
    history is always so interesting and although there are essays if you just knuckle down and do them they can be quite easy
    i think it is important to do a foreign language so i would recommend french + i love it lol but it does depend on how you feel about it
    i don't do pe but all my friends that do it absolutely love it!
    media isn't an option as my school so i couldn't help with that, though i would say you can still do it at a level (if you wanted to) without it at gcse, but if you think you'd really enjoy it then that is irrelevant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.