Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WHsmith sales assistants Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A thread for everyone who is working or has worked at WHsmith. Please share your experiences.

ReputationRep:
    I work at WHSmith.

I'll be honest - pay is awful. It really sucks

But it isn't exactly hard work. I spend most of my time chatting to coworkers. There is the occasional bad customer and it can be boring sometimes but it's easy money really!

I work in one of the biggest ones in the UK so there are quite a lot of odd jobs if you have nothing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    I work at WHSmith.

I'll be honest - pay is awful. It really sucks

But it isn't exactly hard work. I spend most of my time chatting to coworkers. There is the occasional bad customer and it can be boring sometimes but it's easy money really!

I work in one of the biggest ones in the UK so there are quite a lot of odd jobs if you have nothing to do.
    it is isn't it?
    i've only gotten two pays so far- both around the 200 pound mark. it's impossible to say how they calculate it and I can't even see my latest payslip on ceridian. on the two occasions I tried to email them about my pay they've been very rude. luckily my manager is okay and I have nice colleagues. i'm due my next pay on friday, let's hope they don't mess me around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    it is isn't it?
    i've only gotten two pays so far- both around the 200 pound mark. it's impossible to say how they calculate it and I can't even see my latest payslip on ceridian. on the two occasions I tried to email them about my pay they've been very rude. luckily my manager is okay and I have nice colleagues. i'm due my next pay on friday, let's hope they don't mess me around.
    Same, although I'll hopefully get more this month because I did extra hours over xmas.

Can't wait to get some money!!

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    anyone else struggle with lifting the heavy bundles of newspapers at the end of the day?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I've just been offered a job with them. I have my training on Monday and start the following week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilGem)
    Hey!

I've just been offered a job with them. I have my training on Monday and start the following week

Good luck, whereabouts?
    You'll get given **** loads of paperwork when you start but you don't have to read it all. I hope your working conditions are better than mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    Good luck, whereabouts?
    You'll get given **** loads of paperwork when you start but you don't have to read it all. I hope your working conditions are better than mine.
    In Winchester.

thank you, I'm slightly apprehensive about it *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilGem)
    In Winchester.

thank you, I'm slightly apprehensive about it *
    You'll probably make a few **** ups to begin with but try not to let it get the better of you. It's easy once you get started but reading those documents anyone you'd think you need a degree to be a cashier. You'll be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.