Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B927 - Segregation in Schools Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I'm believe in social mobility more than I thought
    It's not that, it just means that you aren't in an elite whereby you're so out of touch that you see this sort of thing as acceptable or logical. You can still be a tory and believe in merit, though if merit and social mobility are more important to you than tradition and class then you may well be in the wrong party altogether
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    It creates more issues as well as amplify the ones that already exist. Poorer students now can't gain connections, less able students can't learn from more able students, private schools begin disappearing, more money needs to be spent on education as more students are using state schools
    Poorer students can't gain connections, you mean they can today before uni? And in my experience less able students don't learn from more able, the able learn from the most able.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I'm believe in social mobility more than I thought
    Ultimately in a perfect capitalist state those with the best qualities and ideas should rise to the top regardless of background. Now I don't think this happens, or that capitalism would ever allow this to happen, but this is a view a tory like yourself, who believes in capitalism, would take I expect in regards to social mobility. However more traditional torys, see edmund burke, believed in the wealth being the best to rule, or as it later came to be seen under one nation toryism, noblesse oblige
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It's not that, it just means that you aren't in an elite whereby you're so out of touch that you see this sort of thing as acceptable or logical. You can still be a tory and believe in merit, though if merit and social mobility are more important to you than tradition and class then you may well be in the wrong party altogether
    Well obviously we have class and I'm not saying we should abolish class altogether. As I would class myself as traditional middle class I don't go around calling for my class to be segregated from people of a lower class . I believe in hard work and aspiration if you work hard you can become better off . However this bill is just wrong
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Poorer students can't gain connections, you mean they can today before uni? And in my experience less able students don't learn from more able, the able learn from the most able.
    Well this bill could very likely jeopardise the likelihood of many poorer students even going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't benefit anyone.

The poor suffers from a poor education.

The rich suffers from not being challenged, being (seen as) out of touch with the world, and having a more limited scope of the world.

The state suffers from missing out of the talents from non-upper class people. On first glance, all 10 Nobel Prize winners last year were not from an upper class background.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I grew up dirt poor and was comfortably the most able person in my year. You mad?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Ultimately in a perfect capitalist state those with the best qualities and ideas should rise to the top regardless of background. Now I don't think this happens, or that capitalism would ever allow this to happen, but this is a view a tory like yourself, who believes in capitalism, would take I expect in regards to social mobility. However more traditional torys, see edmund burke, believed in the wealth being the best to rule, or as it later came to be seen under one nation toryism, noblesse oblige
    I still believe in capitalist principles but we shouldnot stop poorer people becoming better off .
    I'm in no ways a traditional tory ... I would say im a more modern one nation tory that believes everyone that wants to succeed can if they work hard
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    This doesn't benefit anyone.

The poor suffers from a poor education.

The rich suffers from not being challenged, being (seen as) out of touch with the world, and having a more limited scope of the world.

The state suffers from missing out of the talents from non-upper class people. On first glance, all 10 Nobel Prize winners last year were not from an upper class background.
    Ol' Terry Taos dad was a doctor though so he was doing okay for 'imself.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I do not believe all social classes of people are equal, I think the differences needs to be recognised; grouping people from higher socio-economic backgrounds with people from lower socio-economic backgrounds will bring down the children form higher socio-economic backgrounds. There needs to be measures in place to help people from higher socio-economic backgrounds reach their potential, but the current situation sees resources given to people from lower socio-economic backgrounds, not children from higher socio-economic backgrounds.
    So the people that need the support won't get it... And those that don't need it do get it.

It's like saying that if someone needs additional support and they're from a lower social economic background... Then poor Jimmy won't get the support they need to succeed. Whilst Mandy, who doesn't need anything, gets Jimmys support taken right off him.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Ol' Terry Taos dad was a doctor though so he was doing okay for 'imself.
    This bill doesn't necessarily help the children of doctors though.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    This bill doesn't necessarily help the children of doctors though.
    I know. This bill is nonsense.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    So the people that need the support won't get it... And those that don't need it do get it.

It's like saying that if someone needs additional support and they're from a lower social economic background... Then poor Jimmy won't get the support they need to succeed. Whilst Mandy, who doesn't need anything, gets Jimmys support taken right off him.
    To be fair, I heard that Jimmy is a ****.

ReputationRep:
    The real Farrago would not agree with this!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    To be fair, I heard that Jimmy is a ****.
    And sos his best friend Richard but you know... That's not the point

ReputationRep:
    Suppose I might as well chime in with my overwhelming disapproval.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I just finished watching animal farm on BBC Two before.

Déjà vu on the whole. Seems like we've found the pigs ( animal farm reference, not an indirect insult ).
    Although it is a happy coincidence
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)

The government should treat individuals as investments, investing in children from better higher socio-economic backgrounds is a better investment because children from higher socio-economic backgrounds are more likely to do better.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The government should treat individuals as investments, investing in children from better higher socio-economic backgrounds is a better investment because children from higher socio-economic backgrounds are more likely to do better.
    They'd do well without the investment. Investing money into the wealthy is like investing sand into the middle east.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Why not create a situation where everyone is as equally likely as is possible to do well?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.