Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B927 - Segregation in Schools Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Speaking out of personal experience with a system similar to this, aye. I worked better with similar people, which enabled me to progress further than I would have(we had an a b and c 'stream' system)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Speaking out of personal experience with a system similar to this, aye. I worked better with similar people, which enabled me to progress further than I would have(we had an a b and c 'stream' system)
    You should be ashamed of yourself for supporting such a disgusting bill

ReputationRep:
    e_e No...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    For the second reading the section on funding will be removed, and more controls will be introduced on the mixing of pupils from different backgrounds. Having children from lower socio-economic backgrounds mix with children from higher socio-economic backgrounds is good for those children from lower socio-economic backgrounds but bad for the children from higher socio-economic backgrounds who will benefit more mixing with their type of people who have high ambition, connections, and a similar lifestyle.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    For the second reading the section on funding will be removed, and more controls will be introduced on the mixing of pupils from different backgrounds. Having children from lower socio-economic backgrounds mix with children from higher socio-economic backgrounds is good for those children from lower socio-economic backgrounds but bad for the children from higher socio-economic backgrounds who will benefit more mixing with their type of people who have high ambition, connections, and a similar lifestyle.
    I stand by my previous remark about how if a snob doesn't want to interact with poor people then they can spend £7k+ per term on a snobs education.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    so poor children aren't ambitious?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    so poor children aren't ambitious?
    I Don't think Nigel knows many poor children.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Still what do you have against people or a lower class than you ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Well this bill could very likely jeopardise the likelihood of many poorer students even going to uni.
    The same was said about fees hikes, and is being said about the removal of grants, both of those claims have been debunked.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The same was said about fees hikes, and is being said about the removal of grants, both of those claims have been debunked.
    Umm, this is genuinely giving poorer students a second class education, and giving funding to richer students. It will still:

1. increase the education budget massively
    2. Cause lower social mobility
    3. lose money

What don't you get about investing money into wealth being a bad idea? These people can pay for their own education if they don't want to mix with poorer students, or they can decide to leave the snobbery at home and actually gain some insight into how people other from themselves actually live, which may (you know) lead to them not being quite so out of touch.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Umm, this is genuinely giving poorer students a second class education, and giving funding to richer students. It will still:

1. increase the education budget massively
    2. Cause lower social mobility
    3. lose money

What don't you get about investing money into wealth being a bad idea? These people can pay for their own education if they don't want to mix with poorer students, or they can decide to leave the snobbery at home and actually gain some insight into how people other from themselves actually live, which may (you know) lead to them not being quite so out of touch.
    What ought to be being done is brining back tripartite, which actually largely has the same effect.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What ought to be being done is brining back tripartite, which actually largely has the same effect.
    Tripartite doesn't separate students based on their parent's wealth. And at any rate, its focus on the IQ test is something I'm against.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Tripartite doesn't separate students based on their parent's wealth. And at any rate, its focus on the IQ test is something I'm against.
    Ummm, it isn't focused on IQ, at least not directly... have you even seen an 11 plus paper or sample 11 plus questions?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, it isn't focused on IQ, at least not directly... have you even seen an 11 plus paper or sample 11 plus questions?
    I've done a test similar to the 11 plus, it's basically an IQ test. But then with General knowledge, English and Maths added in.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I've done a test similar to the 11 plus, it's basically an IQ test. But then with General knowledge, English and Maths added in.
    You mean it's basically an all round examination with a few IQ test bits added in so as to test logical reasoning. The two are quite different, yours implies mainly logical reasoning with small arithmetical and written elements rather than being largely arithmetical and written with a logical reasoning element.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You mean it's basically an all round examination with a few IQ test bits added in so as to test logical reasoning. The two are quite different, yours implies mainly logical reasoning with small arithmetical and written elements rather than being largely arithmetical and written with a logical reasoning element.
    The difference is that the test was designed to test intelligence, like with an IQ test. However, there are many critics of the IQ test (I'm one of them) who say that the IQ test, only highlights one aspect of intelligence.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The difference is that the test was designed to test intelligence, like with an IQ test. However, there are many critics of the IQ test (I'm one of them) who say that the IQ test, only highlights one aspect of intelligence.
    Again, last time I checked IQ tests didn't include dedicated papers on arithmetic and essay writing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Again, last time I checked IQ tests didn't include dedicated papers on arithmetic and essay writing.
    "the Eleven Plus was redesigned during the 1960s to be more like an IQ test."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleven...am#Controversy
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    "the Eleven Plus was redesigned during the 1960s to be more like an IQ test."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleven...am#Controversy
    Whilst I'm not sure which way around is more accurate, you are more like a banana than a baboon (or a baboon is more like a banana than you), that does not make whichever is closer a banana.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I'm not sure which way around is more accurate, you are more like a banana than a baboon (or a baboon is more like a banana than you), that does not make whichever is closer a banana.
    I actually took the 11 plus (I didn't realise it was the same test until I saw on wikipedia), to get into the Grammar School Latimer in Edmonton (North London). It started with a non-verbal reasoning (IQ) test filtering students off there, then went on to verbal reasoning before concluding at English and Math skills (again, filtering off students still).

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.