Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B927 - Segregation in Schools Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I actually took the 11 plus (I didn't realise it was the same test until I saw on wikipedia), to get into the Grammar School Latimer in Edmonton (North London). It started with a non-verbal reasoning (IQ) test filtering students off there, then went on to verbal reasoning before concluding at English and Math skills (again, filtering off students still).
    Which is funnily enough not a state funded fully selective school. Alternatively, you spell it correctly.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which is funnily enough not a state funded fully selective school. Alternatively, you spell it correctly.
    It was a long time ago. I don't even live in North London any more

Interesting to find out Albert Meltzer went there though. But in any case, with the 11 plus, they still use an IQ test to filter off students, which many disagree with. I'd support Grammar schools were this not the case.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    An excellent idea. If we continue to allow this kind of class mixing there will be rivers of blood, mark my words.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    An excellent idea. If we continue to allow this kind of class mixing there will be rivers of blood, mark my words.
    That avatar as well :rofl:
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    That avatar as well :rofl:
    In for a penny!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It was a long time ago. I don't even live in North London any more

Interesting to find out Albert Meltzer went there though. But in any case, with the 11 plus, they still use an IQ test to filter off students, which many disagree with. I'd support Grammar schools were this not the case.
    Still not half of Pink Floyd, admittedly back when my Sixth Form was the Cambridgeshire High School for Boys
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I went to a grammar school and am quite sure that they are the devil.

ReputationRep:
    YESSSSS FINALLLY

Im pro seg btw

Peace

ReputationRep:
    Nay, nay, nay, can I nay again or am I starting to sound like a horse? Terrible idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    You should be ashamed of yourself for supporting such a disgusting bill
    1.Party support
    2.I went to school with a system like this and it helped

But, I'm hardly all for it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    1.Party support
    2.I went to school with a system like this and it helped

But, I'm hardly all for it.
    What system was it? I've never heard of a system of active discrimination? Well, not in a modern day western country anyway...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    What system was it? I've never heard of a system of active discrimination? Well, not in a modern day western country anyway...
    We were split into forms based upon 2 things, one was our 11+ result, the other was how much we had invested into the school, so if you went to the junior school you would get into a higher set. As a result, the people in the higher set were the 'rich kids' but, we bonded better as we were all of similar wealth and intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    We were split into forms based upon 2 things, one was our 11+ result, the other was how much we had invested into the school, so if you went to the junior school you would get into a higher set. As a result, the people in the higher set were the 'rich kids' but, we bonded better as we were all of similar wealth and intelligence.
    Im sorry but people have to got to learn to work with other people who are not from the same background, wealth or intelligence from them. Thats how the 'outside' world works.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    OK, so the academic criteria is similar to exactly what happens in most schools up and down the country, where students are set based on academic ability and CAT scores (and presumably 11+ data if they live somewhere where they would have sat it).

The second criterion is a little bit odd so I presume it wasn't a state school.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What is this?!?!?!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    OK, so the academic criteria is similar to exactly what happens in most schools up and down the country, where students are set based on academic ability and CAT scores (and presumably 11+ data if they live somewhere where they would have sat it).

The second criterion is a little bit odd so I presume it wasn't a state school.
    Oh CAT. somewhat of a joke, but still surprisingly good for the public sector

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Then why are you supporting this? In your school, the rich pupils contribute financially; with this, the government gives more money to the rich.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    What is this?!?!?!
    This is the Leader of TSR UKIP telling us he has no belief in social mobility. I'm sure you'll agree it's horrendous.

I do hope it goes to vote though. If only I could Nay it more than once...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    This is the Leader of TSR UKIP telling us he has no belief in social mobility. I'm sure you'll agree it's horrendous.

I do hope it goes to vote though. If only I could Nay it more than once...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's madness, and makes no logical sense whatsoever.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    What ought to be being done is brining back tripartite, which actually largely has the same effect.
    I agree, with bringing back tripartite, but with some reforms to it, that will make sure that it doesn't hinder social mobility.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.