The Student Room Group

I can't seem to find a job that I would love

Everything I think of seems to have downfalls and I know there are always faults but I want to spend my time doing something that I love. I'm nearing the end of my criminology degree (if I get a good grade), I've looked into a part-time job but that is dependent on somewhere having vacancies available and myself being chosen, I've thought about starting my own business but so far haven't sold anything and it seems very difficult to sell much or get good prices online, I've thought about doing a blog but there are so many out there and it seems to require a lot of time and it is unlikely that I will earn much, if anything. I've thought about teaching but it seems to take up much more hours than they state. Even teaching assistants don't seem to earn much for the hours that they do.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think few do a job they love. In all jobs you have to work with people you don't get on with, do things you don't necessarily agree with and basically sell yourself out. But that doesn't mean you can't blog, travel or do anything else you love in your spare time. The people I have met that truly love their jobs tend to be married to their work and their personal life sucks so it is swings and roundabouts.

That said, not working because of lack of vaccines, not starting your own business because selling is difficult or not writing a blog because someone else does it sound more like excuses to me. If you want something you are going to have to work at it and that includes a fulfilling life.

I have been in work for 15 years. I have nailed my private life, but still have some way to go before perfection is achieved in my work life.

Good luck and don't give up before you have even tried.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
It's also worth remembering that just because you start doing one job doesn't mean you're stuck doing that one job forever. If you figure out in a couple of years that you'd rather do something else you can change career path and do that instead. And doing something that you're doing for the sake of having a job can lead to unexpected places. The job I have now has come about because I worked in a shop for a few years, and is not something I'd never have thought of as a career a couple of years ago.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by pinkstudent63
Everything I think of seems to have downfalls and I know there are always faults but I want to spend my time doing something that I love. I'm nearing the end of my criminology degree (if I get a good grade), I've looked into a part-time job but that is dependent on somewhere having vacancies available and myself being chosen, I've thought about starting my own business but so far haven't sold anything and it seems very difficult to sell much or get good prices online, I've thought about doing a blog but there are so many out there and it seems to require a lot of time and it is unlikely that I will earn much, if anything. I've thought about teaching but it seems to take up much more hours than they state. Even teaching assistants don't seem to earn much for the hours that they do.

Nobody loves what they do, you just gotta the lesser of all the evils.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ByEeek
I think few do a job they love. In all jobs you have to work with people you don't get on with, do things you don't necessarily agree with and basically sell yourself out. But that doesn't mean you can't blog, travel or do anything else you love in your spare time. The people I have met that truly love their jobs tend to be married to their work and their personal life sucks so it is swings and roundabouts.

That said, not working because of lack of vaccines, not starting your own business because selling is difficult or not writing a blog because someone else does it sound more like excuses to me. If you want something you are going to have to work at it and that includes a fulfilling life.

I have been in work for 15 years. I have nailed my private life, but still have some way to go before perfection is achieved in my work life.

Good luck and don't give up before you have even tried.

Thank you for your comment. I think part of my problem is that I have so many ideas of what I could do, I usually end up taking on too much and getting stressed when I should just focus on one, maybe two work-related things but I find it very difficult to choose.
I think if I had had my time again, I would be focusing on what sort of tasks I enjoy doing rather than what job I want to do. So for me, I am a good organiser and motivator. I prefer to be out and about rather than sat behind a desk and I very much prefer working in a lively social group rather than on my own.

You might also get some clues from taking the Myles Briggs test
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

For me, I am an Extraverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging, which is pretty spot on.
http://www.humanmetrics.com/personality/enfj

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending