Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    GCSE - a*a*aabbbbcc
    German, French, religious studies, sociology, maths, English, Welsh, art&design, chemistry, biology (in order of grades above)
    I want to study modern and medieval languages for which the requirement is a*aa and I know I can get that (taking French, German and business studies and Welsh bacc at a-level) I just don't know if me resisting English Lang to get a/a* is worth it since I don't know how much Cambridge look at GCSE results?

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge do look at gcse results most of the time but there are other factors that influence their decision. Your results are not bad and if you think you can meet their requirements then it's worth a shot.

ReputationRep:
    You'll likely be at a disadvantage to applicants who have higher GCSE marks. So I recommend you make yourself stand out, get some work experience, start up a club and do extra curriculars. Just do something (or several things) that show them you are a motivated, driven and hard working individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saihan)
    Cambridge do look at gcse results most of the time but there are other factors that influence their decision. Your results are not bad and if you think you can meet their requirements then it's worth a shot.
    I know that they look at them to some extent I know Oxford look at them a lot more. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    You'll likely be at a disadvantage to applicants who have higher GCSE marks. So I recommend you make yourself stand out, get some work experience, start up a club and do extra curriculars. Just do something (or several thing) that show them you are a motivated, driven and hard working individual.
    Alright, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goondance)
    GCSE - a*a*aabbbbcc
    German, French, religious studies, sociology, maths, English, Welsh, art&design, chemistry, biology (in order of grades above)
    I want to study modern and medieval languages for which the requirement is a*aa and I know I can get that (taking French, German and business studies and Welsh bacc at a-level) I just don't know if me resisting English Lang to get a/a* is worth it since I don't know how much Cambridge look at GCSE results?
    nah u need at least 6 a levels grade A* when applying and 20 GCSE's (at least)

ReputationRep:
    GCSE - a*a*aabbbbcc
    Cambridge have a holistic application process, meaning that they look at all of the information that you give to them to help them decide on whether to make you an offer. Regarding GCSE results, firstly note that they consider your results in the context of the school that they were achieved in, e.g. if you go to a school where the average is cccdd and you get higher that is taken into account. Although there isn't a specified weighting to how much they consider each part of your application, i would think that any concerns about your gcses could be alleviated by good results in AS (if you still have them) and the rest of your application. At the end of the day it's still only one choice in 5 so why not have a go, if you're looking at getting *aa or above chances are you won't be short of offers. (bear in mind some of the process may change due to new a levels)

ReputationRep:
    GCSE - a*a*aabbbbcc
    Cambridge don't care much about GCSE results. Having said that, yours are weaker than the average applicant. What are they like contextually? Even if your GCSE's are weaker than most Cambridge applicants', if they are among the highest in your school Cambridge will look upon them favourably. The entry requirement for MML is A*AA, but I think the vast majority of applicants studying two languages at A-level will get at least A*A*A. That said, there's no harm in applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Cambridge have a holistic application process, meaning that they look at all of the information that you give to them to help them decide on whether to make you an offer. Regarding GCSE results, firstly note that they consider your results in the context of the school that they were achieved in, e.g. if you go to a school where the average is cccdd and you get higher that is taken into account. Although there isn't a specified weighting to how much they consider each part of your application, i would think that any concerns about your gcses could be alleviated by good results in AS (if you still have them) and the rest of your application. At the end of the day it's still only one choice in 5 so why not have a go, if you're looking at getting *aa or above chances are you won't be short of offers. (bear in mind some of the process may change due to new a levels)
    Thank you! I have ready statistics that say that the course that I want to do accepts 1 in 2 which is great for me but I still know that despite that I need to work hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Cambridge don't care much about GCSE results. Having said that, yours are weaker than the average applicant. What are they like contextually? Even if your GCSE's are weaker than most Cambridge applicants', if they are among the highest in your school Cambridge will look upon them favourably. The entry requirement for MML is A*AA, but I think the vast majority of applicants studying two languages at A-level will get at least A*A*A. That said, there's no harm in applying.
    Okay thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You'll likely be at a disadvantage to applicants who have higher GCSE marks. So I recommend you make yourself stand out, get some work experience, start up a club and do extra curriculars. Just do something (or several things) that show them you are a motivated, driven and hard working individual.
    Start up a club? I really don't think Cambridge will care about that...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    GCSE - a*a*aabbbbcc
    Don't resit GCSEs. Just concentrate on doing well in your A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You'll likely be at a disadvantage to applicants who have higher GCSE marks.
    It's contextual.

So I recommend you make yourself stand out, get some work experience
    Good idea. Although there aren't many work experiences that are very relevant to MML. Can you suggest any?

start up a club
    No. Cambridge doesn't care.

and do extra curriculars.
    No, Cambridge doesn't care.

Just do something (or several things) that show them you are a motivated, driven and hard working individual.
    Only if they're directly relevant to the subject.

(Original post by Zacken)
    It's contextual.
    It could be a disadvantage compared to a student with a similar background with better grades.

Good idea. Although there aren't many work experiences that are very relevant to MML. Can you suggest any?
    There may be a few about, the OP could have a search around.

If not that, there's always something as simple as reading.

No. Cambridge doesn't care.
    But other universities might. And if it's a languages club it'll show enthusiasm for the subject

No, Cambridge doesn't care.
    But other, RG universities will. You can't tell someone not to do something simply because 'Cambridge doesn't care'. They will be applying to other universities I am sure.
    And as for relevance, talk about my volunteering cropped up in my interview at Cambridge. It's always safe to have just one small thing.
    Only if they're directly relevant to the subject.
    No need to be so blatant and rude about it

While Oxbridge might not care about irrelevant extra currciulars, you would expect an Oxbridge - standard student to have a fair few types of experiences and activities on their personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    It could be a disadvantage compared to a student with a similar background with better grades.
    Did I say it would be advantage? Not quite sure why you're saying this. There are a lot of "coulds", the person I quoted assumed it was a disadvantage. I objectively stated that it was contextual, that it could be either a disadvantage or an advantage. Seems like you only quoted this to imitate my style of criticising each point in isolation and didn't actually have a valid argument.

(Original post by enaayrah)
    The OP is asking for advice directly relevant to Cambridge. I'm not denying that extracurriculars are great for other universities nor that they are great in terms of general enrichment. That's not what the OP was asking for.

The person I quoted was specifically giving advice about Cambridge. You might put the OP off Cambridge by telling them that extracurriculars are almost requisite when they're not. If the poster wants to give general advice, then they should make that explicit instead of referring to Cambridge.

Edit: did you consider the fact that your volunteering cropped up at interview because you mentioned it yourself, explicitly. Had you not - they wouldn't have.

While Oxbridge might not care about irrelevant extra currciulars, you would expect an Oxbridge - standard student to have a fair few types of experiences and activities on their personal statement.
    Not quite sure why you think this is true. Perhaps for certain subjects, certainly medicine - nearly never maths.

tl;dr I agree that you shouldn't tell someone not to do something because Cambridge doesn't care. My point is you shouldn't tell someone to do do something because they say Cambridge cares compounded by he they don't.

The OP is asking for advice directly relevant to Cambridge. I'm not denying that extracurriculars are great for other universities nor that they are great in terms of general enrichment. That's not what the OP was asking for.

The person I quoted was specifically giving advice about Cambridge. You might put the OP off Cambridge by telling them that extracurriculars are almost requisite when they're not. If the poster wants to give general advice, then they should make that explicit instead of referring to Cambridge.

Edit: did you consider the fact that your volunteering cropped up at interview because you mentioned it yourself, explicitly. Had you not - they wouldn't have.

Not quite sure why you think this is true. Perhaps for certain subjects, certainly medicine - nearly never maths.
    No, but the OP could take it in the sense 'Cambridge doesn't care so why would others?' At this point last year, I had this mindset, so I wouldn't blame them if they did.
    Something as simple as saying 'but other universities might' would've put it better.

Oh get over yourself.
    Were you at my interview? It came up after I had finished another question. I did not, at once, mention my volunteering in the interview. The interviewer read my personal statement and decided to ask me about it. We had a lovely conversation about it too, something to de-stress about.

Again, I am not referring to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Oh get over yourself.
    Were you at my interview? It came up after I had finished another question. I did not, at once, mention my volunteering in the interview. The interviewer read my personal statement and decided to ask me about it. We had a lovely conversation about it too.
    Did I say you mentioned it in the interview? I said you mentioned it, I meant on your PS...

Did I say you mentioned it in the interview? I said you mentioned it, I meant on your PS...
    Well you should have made that clearer.
    It was a conversation filler and stress diffuser either way, and I'd highly reccommend that the OP do something as small as volunteering in a charity shop. While Cambridge in general might not care about these, it might make you a little more interesting to the people interviewing you.

ReputationRep:
    Well you should have made that clearer.
    It was a conversation filler and stress diffuser either way, and I'd highly reccommend that the OP do something as small as volunteering in a charity shop. While Cambridge in general might not care about these, it might make you a little more interesting to the people interviewing you.
    I'm curious - is there anything about my post that you actually disagree with (in the context of it applying only to Cambridge, which - to be fair, should be obvious, given it's a person asking specifically about Cambridge with a thread title that specifies Cambridge in the Cambridge sub forum of the Oxbridge forum but I digress, since that's apparently not obvious) or did you just want to pick a fight?

I'm curious - is there anything about my post that you actually disagree with (in the context of it applying only to Cambridge, which - to be fair, should be obvious, given it's a person asking specifically about Cambridge with a thread title that specifies Cambridge in the Cambridge sub forum of the Oxbridge forum but I digress, since that's apparently not obvious) or did you just want to pick a fight?
    Believe whatever you want, there's no need to be so condescending.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.