Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bath_Student)
    This is simply untrue. It is the required minimum of students to do at least 8 hours of study every day, 7 days a week. Obviously, that includes lectures, but following those innumerable hours of demoralisation and fatigue, no one has time for sports, bars, clubs and the like. Indeed, as you say, many are left no other option but to resort to going to London to have fun, but as a student that simply isn't feasible financially. Whereas at Bath a social life is an inherent component of your time at university (as it absolutely should be!!), at Cambridge it is seen as an extra, a bonus should you have time and any energy left. The key question here is, on your deathbed do you want to say "Hey, grandchildren, I spent the supposedly best four years of my life staring into textbooks..", or would you prefer "The best memories of my life come from being at a social, vibrant and diverse campus university where I met many great, friendly, sociable people, took up several sports, found new hobbies and even met my gorgeous wife" (gf's are obviously out of the question at the other two unis in question) ..
    How do you know what the minimum is if you don't go to Cambridge, and how do you know what "many students" resort to?

Honestly, if anyone thinks Uni was the best time of their life, they've had a crummy life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    Honestly, if anyone thinks Uni was the best time of their life, they've had a crummy life.
    That is a sad comment: I think it can solely be the observation of an Oxbridge student...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konanabanana)
    Cambridge > imperial > bath
    Chem eng at imperial is extremely good. Better overall at Cambridge but of course application stage is more tricky

Firm - Cambridge
    Insurance - Imperial

Worse comes to worse you dont meet any except bath, well then reapply it's better to wait a year and potentially have a better goal in life the rush yourself to bath when imperial is literally so much better. Take a gap year if you dont get A*A*A or A*A*A*A, depending on what you got given. 1 Year is not long
    I dont understand this
    typical offer for Cambridge is A*A*A
    typical offer for imperial is A*A*AA

Insuring a university with similar/greater requirements makes absolutely no sense.
    It would be more sensible to choose between Imperial and Cambridge (I would personally say Cambridge) for firm and then insuring Bath which only asks for A*AA.

Firming Cambridge and insuring Imperial is pretty much firming Cambridge and having no insurance.

ReputationRep:
    That is a sad comment: I think it can solely be the observation of an Oxbridge student...
    Probably more sad to think that life is all downhill from 22. Either way, I'm not an Oxbridge student.

ReputationRep:
    Probably more sad to think that life is all downhill from 22. Either way, I'm not an Oxbridge student.
    Nah, not all downhill

But certainly the best time of your life is at uni!

ReputationRep:
    Nah, not all downhill

But certainly the best time of your life is at uni!
    ...according to the uni student who has experienced none of the rest of his/her life...?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    ...according to the uni student who has experienced none of the rest of his/her life...?
    Or uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He hasn't even been to uni lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Or uni.
    (Original post by Student403)
    He hasn't even been to uni lmao
    ah well

even better

ReputationRep:
    You've worked this hard to get into Cambridge. Seriously. Bath has really good student support, having gone to the open days professors seem genuinely concerned and care about students. Imperial...It depends on what you prefer really, good job prospects vs academic workload. I imagine it would be the same with Cambridge but definitely have another look at the course structure/whatever you find most important in choosing university degrees. From what I have heard from my friends workload at Cambridge tends to differ a lot between courses and I'd imagine the course structure would be quite different from other unis depending on what you choose to do in Year 1. It also depends on what kind of person you are.

I'm at Imperial (Year 1) and I'm starting to enjoy it now because I really like my subject, but the first term definitely took time getting used to. Although having said that, you probably have higher A-level grades than I do so that should help with the first term at least.

You've still got a while till you have to make your final UCAS choices, so don't rush, think carefully. I half-regretted my insurance choice, but luckily got my firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    The first year NatSci lectures are all held at the Chemistry department or nearby Downing site - all within 5 minutes walk of each other. Unfortunately it's also the completely opposite end of Cambridge to Churchill college, you'll have about a 15 minute cycle each morning which I guess still isn't all that bad... From second year your lectures will be in the Chemical Engineering department which is on the West Cambridge site - really convenient for your college.

Going to formals is certainly not compulsory - I don't know about the alternative arrangements at Churchill but they may have an earlier sitting of 'normal hall' and/ or good kitchen facilities so you can simply cook some food yourself (even if it has terrible cooking facilities, there will at least be a microwave in a gyp room if you can stomach Sainsbury's ready meals... probably a good idea to ask someone at Churchill about the self-catering facilities if this is important to you). You can also eat at other colleges nearby (woooo come check out MEdwards ) or grab take-out if you're not much of a cook.

Churchill college is about 10 minutes walk from the Aldi in Cambridge, if cheap food shopping places is important to you Although most students do end up just shopping at the local Sainsbury's in town en route back from lectures, which is pretty expensive...

In terms of other comments you've made on the thread:

- You can make up for not doing a year in industry with good internships in your (long) summer holidays, so although the year in industry at Bath is very attractive don't discard the others because of their lack of it. Also, even if they don't arrange a year in industry as part of the course, it *might* still be possible to just organise one yourself and do it as a gap year during your degree - this is how I managed to do my current year abroad while at Cambridge

- If the social life is important to you, Cambridge students *do* have some kind of a social life - in particular the sports and society opportunities here are fantastic due to the college system, even if we only have 3 clubs in town. Also, I have heard of some people doing weekend trips down to London for nights out if that is important to you - it's just a 30-45 minute train journey away.

- Cambridge guarantees accommodation for every year of your course, which for me personally would swing it over anywhere in London, where after first year you're likely to be living in a really overpriced crowded flat a long commute from the uni (which will also incur expensive travel costs)... Also bear in mind that many Cambridge colleges offer the opportunity to only pay rent during term time, whereas privately renting in London/ Bath will require you to pay *at least* the christmas and easter holidays too, if not also the summer.

- I know many people are concerned about the 'type of people' at Cambridge, but as a student from a standard state school background I can assure you that it really isn't filled with Eton boys and stuck up ***** - in fact I can probably count the number of privately educated, stuck up posh boys I've met on a single hand. The vast majority of people (particularly at a newer college like Churchill, I'd expect) are just standard, down-to-earth students who love their subject. And similar students apply to Imperial and Bath - I haven't checked the stats on staterivate but I can't imagine Cambridge would be much worse.

- Regarding the workload at Cambridge, yes (as a current NatSci I can only tell you really about your first year though) it's tough, but I can't imagine Imperial would be much different - although obviously I don't study there so it's impossible to be sure. However, plenty of people manage it and as they gave you a low offer (which is only the minimum offer - they haven't given you a higher offer to make sure you can cope, as I've heard happen to students who they were less sure about) it seems like they think you can manage to cope with the course no problem. That's the whole point of entrance requirements, to make sure the students will be able to cope with the course.

- Regarding the location - this is probably one of the major differences between Imperial and Cambridge. Do you want to live in a massive city, or have a more Harry-Potter-esque experience? For me, this is why I decided to not even apply to London universities, I hate big busy cities and need some peace and quiet in my life. However, there are I guess a lot more social opportunities there if you're more of a clubbing kind of person (although again, consider the higher costs).

Feel free to ask me any questions about the NatSci bit of the course/ Cambridge in general
    I agree, workload is probably around the same but Cambridge seems to have better student support. Also my NatSci friends tend to have time to chill at the pub at the end of the day? Whereas at Imperial it just seems like fighting through work every single day. I do enjoy my course, but it's hard to balance between sacrificing free time for revision or risking losing marks because of not revising enough, though I suppose it all comes down to efficient time management.

ReputationRep:
    I'll come and visit you thirsty plonkers in November...

I'll come and visit you in a few decades when you lot will have achieved nothing outside of academia. Literally nothing; particularly with regards to social life, yep, one thing in particular. You lot will rot.
    Do you seriously have nothing else better to do than replying to almost every reply to this post and bash higher ranked unis than yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzyc501)
    Do you seriously have nothing else better to do than replying to almost every reply to this post and bash higher ranked unis than yours?
    Sadly, he really doesn't.

Does the same thing on the Cambridge offer holder's thread..

ReputationRep:
    You've worked this hard to get into Cambridge. Seriously. Bath has really good student support, having gone to the open days professors seem genuinely concerned and care about students. Imperial...It depends on what you prefer really, good job prospects vs academic workload. I imagine it would be the same with Cambridge but definitely have another look at the course structure/whatever you find most important in choosing university degrees. From what I have heard from my friends workload at Cambridge tends to differ a lot between courses and I'd imagine the course structure would be quite different from other unis depending on what you choose to do in Year 1. It also depends on what kind of person you are.

I'm at Imperial (Year 1) and I'm starting to enjoy it now because I really like my subject, but the first term definitely took time getting used to. Although having said that, you probably have higher A-level grades than I do so that should help with the first term at least.

You've still got a while till you have to make your final UCAS choices, so don't rush, think carefully. I half-regretted my insurance choice, but luckily got my firm.
    I agree, workload is probably around the same but Cambridge seems to have better student support. Also my NatSci friends tend to have time to chill at the pub at the end of the day? Whereas at Imperial it just seems like fighting through work every single day. I do enjoy my course, but it's hard to balance between sacrificing free time for revision or risking losing marks because of not revising enough, though I suppose it all comes down to efficient time management.
    Hm I'm at Imperial and I disagree about the free time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*da*m)
    So as the title suggests, I've had offers from Bath, Cambridge and Imperial for Chemical Engineering and I am having a very hard time deciding which one to choose:/ for me all three have amazing things about them and also bad things about them and so I'm not really getting anywhere in working out which is going to be best for me, I'll sum up very quickly my thoughts on them,

Bath: Year in industry, high students satisfaction, I love the campus, social life probably best out of the three, lovely city, probably a more mixed group who go there compared to cambridge and Imperial, but it does have a lower reputation nationally and most definitely internationally
    Cambridge: it's amazing reputation, brand new building so will have amazing facilities, but I'm struggling to see myself doing the whole college and formal dinner thing:/ and also a little concerned at being overwhelmed with the people who go there
    Imperial : in London which is good and bad, expensive, heard awful things about the social life (so if any current students could please clear this up I would be so grateful!! :'), high international student percentage

There's loads more things I've considered but that's just what I could think of in two minutes. The grades I need for Cambridge and Imperial are the same while bath is a lot lower. If anyone could reply with some advice I would be so grateful!! Because I am really struggling I have no clue where to choose:/ I appreciate lots of people will say clearly Cambridge because of the reputation but I am trying to choose on overall uni experience rather than just that. Thank you very much for anyone who takes the time to reply! :'
    Hi man,

I'm in the exact same position I was just wondering if you'd managed to come to a decision (and if so how) and what you were gonna do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*da*m)
    So as the title suggests, I've had offers from Bath, Cambridge and Imperial for Chemical Engineering and I am having a very hard time deciding which one to choose:/ for me all three have amazing things about them and also bad things about them and so I'm not really getting anywhere in working out which is going to be best for me, I'll sum up very quickly my thoughts on them,

Bath: Year in industry, high students satisfaction, I love the campus, social life probably best out of the three, lovely city, probably a more mixed group who go there compared to cambridge and Imperial, but it does have a lower reputation nationally and most definitely internationally
    Cambridge: it's amazing reputation, brand new building so will have amazing facilities, but I'm struggling to see myself doing the whole college and formal dinner thing:/ and also a little concerned at being overwhelmed with the people who go there
    Imperial : in London which is good and bad, expensive, heard awful things about the social life (so if any current students could please clear this up I would be so grateful!! :'), high international student percentage

There's loads more things I've considered but that's just what I could think of in two minutes. The grades I need for Cambridge and Imperial are the same while bath is a lot lower. If anyone could reply with some advice I would be so grateful!! Because I am really struggling I have no clue where to choose:/ I appreciate lots of people will say clearly Cambridge because of the reputation but I am trying to choose on overall uni experience rather than just that. Thank you very much for anyone who takes the time to reply! :'
    What did you get in your GCSE's and A Levels if you dont mind me asking?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.