Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHSFan)
    I think that as a girl, your experience is rather different to that of male students at Imperial!
    Meh, you're implying that the only reason I don't find it bad is because I don't have a rubbish ratio to 'find girls'? There's plenty more to a social life than that anyway. My male friends have a decent social life...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Meh, you're implying that the only reason I don't find it bad is because I don't have a rubbish ratio to 'find girls'? There's plenty more to a social life than that anyway. My male friends have a decent social life...
    Not at all! And I agree with what you said about it being what you make of it, and after all, it is London, with so many opportunities. Most people are pretty happy wherever they go, but I do think that the gender imbalance perhaps has a bearing on things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*da*m)
    Thank you for your reply Yes I love London so much and would love to live there as a student I wouldn't be able to put cambridge as firm and imperial as insurance however because they both have the same entry requirements. My options are:

Firm: Cambridge
    Insurance: Bathf
    or
    Firm: Imperial
    Insurance: Bath
    or
    Firm: Bath
    Insurance: Nottingham/Birmingham

I'm afraid what I've got to say will only add more combinations but nevertheless you must consider it.

Cam and Imp have the same offer and Bath is lower, so you correctly stated you can't firm Cam and make Imp insurance or vice versa.

However, one of the possibilities you cited was firming Bath and making Not / Birm insurance. Therefore I assume Not / Birm's offer is lower than Bath.

It also shows in the event you fail to make Bath, you might end up at Not / Birm.

So why would one of your choices not be to firm Cam / Imp and make Not / Birm insurance because you COULD do so badly to miss Cam / Imp's offer but fail Bath's too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Meh, you're implying that the only reason I don't find it bad is because I don't have a rubbish ratio to 'find girls'?
    That's not exactly incorrect, though, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bath_Student)
    That's not exactly incorrect, though, is it?
    Bath_Student, many of my friends are male and are enjoying a perfectly good social life. You're not even at Imperial...

ReputationRep:
    Obviously that is true, but their social life doesn't entail as much vag as elsewhere.
    There are plenty of events where you can meet people from other unis anyway and even with the ratio, it is NOT true to call it a social nightmare. Please don't spread misinformation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    There are plenty of events where you can meet people from other unis anyway and even with the ratio, it is NOT true to call it a social nightmare. Please don't spread misinformation...
    I do apologise.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Obviously that is true, but their social life doesn't entail as much vag as elsewhere.
    Wow!

Way to present your university as a grim place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I'd be interested to know the actual stats for this: For those engineers holding offers from both Cambridge and Imperial, which gets firmed more frequently... TSR uni connect might have the data (but small sample size).

Tagging: Puddles the Monkey
    Ooh, I don't know. :beard: Not sure what we are and aren't allowed to share or if we can get it.

ReputationRep:
    Feel Like I should put this straight as I see it.
    I go to Imperial, and it's definitely not antisocial. I think its very true that lots of the students are odd and antisocial, but the same will certainly be true for Cambridge. There are more than plenty very sociable people here, and really you won't know what everyone means when they say the social life is terrible. Imperial has more societies than any other uni in the UK, so its impossible not to find a group of like-minded people in my opinion.
    Socially, I think cambridge is very similar, but because they essentially have the same workload as Imperial, but condensed into 3 fewer weeks, it means you will definitely find it tougher going, and more socially lacking than Imperial. I guess it goes without saying that you'll have the most fun at bath, but will regret not going to Imperial and definitely will regret not going to cambridge, at the end of the day you're right they're not ranked has highly.
    London is expensive, don't underestimate. But Imperial is most famous for all it's engineering departments.
    tl;dr, I go to Imperial, but had I got an offer from Cambridge, I have to admit I would have accepted it in a second, even though I personally love going here. Also, don't assume that they'll be a load of posh toffs at Cambridge. Yes there will be some, but largely people will be very humble and more like-minded than you think. I think the type of people who go to imperial and cambridge are not that disimilar.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Ooh, I don't know. :beard: Not sure what we are and aren't allowed to share or if we can get it.
    You should be able to query the dataset - it's all viewable in public?

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to query the dataset - it's all viewable in public?
    Aye, I'll find out I don't think I have access to that data. :woo:

ReputationRep:

jenhasdreams we need you! :adore:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:

PRSOM to the batmobile!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:

It's an incredibly small sample (3 people!) We only have had connect on the site for one full cycle (15/16 applications) and many people don't put in all their choices, or update their data afterwards when they receive offers - and Engineering at both Cambridge and Imperial is very specific... But all those 3 chose Cambridge.
    There's also 8 members who had offers from Imperial and Bath (no offer from Cambridge) and they all chose Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenhasdreams)
    It's an incredibly small sample (3 people!) We only have had connect on the site for one full cycle (15/16 applications) and many people don't put in all their choices, or update their data afterwards when they receive offers - and Engineering at both Cambridge and Imperial is very specific... But all those 3 chose Cambridge.
    There's also 8 members who had offers from Imperial and Bath (no offer from Cambridge) and they all chose Imperial.
    Thank you! :lol:

jneill
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenhasdreams)
    100% proof Cambridge > Imperial

:dancing2::party::dancing2:

Thanks so much for doing the analysis
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

:dancing2::party::dancing2:

Thanks so much for doing the analysis
    TSR users in prestige related university choices shocker.

ReputationRep:
    The fact, that the starting salary differs by a mere 3 grand (for chem eng) for all of that extra work Cambridge losers have to put in, is ultimate proof for me (and anyone without prestige-complexes) that Bath is the better choice.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    The fact, that the starting salary differs by a mere 3 grand (for chem eng) for all of that extra work Cambridge losers have to put in, is ultimate proof for me (and anyone without prestige-complexes) that Bath is the better choice.
    You have a career ahead of you, not just a starting salary.

But for sure, for engineering specifically, the uni isn't so important for engineering employers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.