Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

History Edexcel = failure! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    just spoke to my friend that done the same paper as most of you, she said it was hard and said it wasnt even on the syllabus???!!!!
    shes got 388/390 on her first 4 units
    Hey chats, that's what I thought, it seemed to be something I hadn't encountered before! At least it's not just us lot, and she sounds like she's usually pretty good at History! I hope these people's schools complain to Edexcel though; I'm not at school so not a lot I can do I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_guy769)
    Im going to email them, I pretty do need this A for uni, I thought a A in this would be easy!
    I need AAB for Cambridge and ABB for durham.
    I wont get an A in RE because noone ever does and i doubt i will in psychology because of problems that have occurred this year so im thinking im screwed!
    I'll e-mail them too then, nothing much to lose. Maybe if any of you guys can get your schools to complain it'd carry more clout though?
    I need AAB too (for Bristol) and at the mo I really think I'm looking at ABB at best... just going to focus on my History and Psychology synoptics now though and try and pull one of them up to an A if I can.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. very odd paper... what was the second question again? preserve the power and prestige of the existing elites? I feel I could have tackled that one better. And a seemed very restrictive. A challenging paper. I had my bad experience - panic attack etc, - with unit 4 in january.

I thought it was okish really, but now, seeing as you people with infinitely better As aren't impressed, I'm beginning to question the quality of my answer!

ReputationRep:
    i just did unit 5 on the poor law, omg it was so stupid, i'm gonna fail :mad: so upset

ReputationRep:
    does any1 know how you email edexcel?
    Ive just been reading that they have been "told off" numerous times because of using really hard questions and they were going to be closed down as an A level exam board due to the mass amount of problems they have, but they themselves have chosen to change to AVCE etc. Grrr crappy edexcel!

ReputationRep:
    Stop panicking, slowjamz I got an A by 20 marks at AS and only need something like 3 C's to get an A overall so you will earily get an A.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thought the exam was OK?!? We had reasonably tame questions compared to January's killers!

Did anyone else do Containing Communism? Which question did you do? I did b (to what extent was the military failure the reason for the US withdrawing from Vietnam). However, only me and one other girl did b, everyone else did a for some reason!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Am I the only one who thought the exam was OK?!? We had reasonably tame questions compared to January's killers!

Did anyone else do Containing Communism? Which question did you do? I did b (to what extent was the military failure the reason for the US withdrawing from Vietnam). However, only me and one other girl did b, everyone else did a for some reason!
    you got a easy one! i done that paper in january and we didnt get a straightfoward one like that

ReputationRep:
    Kingslaw, eacdh person to their own at all that. In my Geography class I was only one to do one of the options and got the highest mark in class for the paper so I don't think it means much. I did Poor Law and also Appeasement resit, both were ok, could have been worse could have been better.

ReputationRep:
    kingslaw I think you are talking about Unit 4. Unit 5 on democracy 1832-1928 was the tough paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyrotec)
    kingslaw I think you are talking about Unit 4. Unit 5 on democracy 1832-1928 was the tough paper
    I am talking about unit 4. Our unit 5 was coursework, so we got that out of the way ages ago.

Today was strange. After the history exam this morning I felt reasonably confident. Later in the afternoon after the law exam I felt like vomiting!

ReputationRep:
    I am talking about unit 4. Our unit 5 was coursework, so we got that out of the way ages ago.

Today was strange. After the history exam this morning I felt reasonably confident. Later in the afternoon after the law exam I felt like vomiting!
    Wish I'd had coursework for Unit 5 It was honestly the worst exam of my life, so I can sympathise with how you feel. Hope you feel better now though.

ReputationRep:

The exam was great for containing communism! i did part a) ideological crusade of communism... and i had planned a question similar the night before.. although i could have answered the second...

I also had unit 5, decolonisation and that was quite nice too! Bring on Friday, the way its going... lol

ReputationRep:
    the one in jan was a walk in the park i got 90/90 its the stupid one on the elite's effect on the parties that was hard! Did any one get taught it? I doubt any1 could have seen it coming!

ReputationRep:
    elite's effect on the party?

wasn't a) 1867 and party organisation
    and b) how far do u agree that preservation of power and prestige for exisiting elite was primary reason? b) didnt have anything bout party did it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paymaster)
    elite's effect on the party?

wasn't a) 1867 and party organisation
    and b) how far do u agree that preservation of power and prestige for exisiting elite was primary reason? b) didnt have anything bout party did it?
    I can't remember the exact wording, but the gist of B was how far do you think preservation of power and prestige affected the organisation of the political parties - which was why I struggled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    I can't remember the exact wording, but the gist of B was how far do you think preservation of power and prestige affected the organisation of the political parties - which was why I struggled
    It wouldnt have been as bad if organisation was in the question because it would have had more of a focus. I dont think any1 has done well on it but even if the mark scheme was lowered mine is such of a mess i doubt i'd gain more marks. I was in such a panic that I'd did it wrong i kept switching from essay to essay. Is this even on the syllabus? If so what was the point of learning about the acts, because you could have wrote that essay without know about 1832, 67, 84 etc, and there is no way 72 and 83 could have been applied or 1928!
    Does any1 know how the elite did influence the changes in the political parties? All i can think of is that they influenced Tamworth etc but i forgot to write that
    The sources didnt seem to fit the question either! I found it easier to apply them to how did the elite effect the acts.
    sorry to go on... ARGH STRESS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_guy769)
    ARGH STRESS!
    I know how you feel!

ReputationRep:
    everyone seems to have had a hard time with edexcel hist this year. our exam this morn though was ok = elizabeth I. 2 themes were ones we guessed, & the wording of the one practically everyone chose was q nice, not anal like sometimes. just 'to what extent were events in the netherlands to blame for worsening anglo-spanish relations 1558-88', which wasnt too bad considering other things we couldv got! prob gonna fail now i said this. sorry u others got it hard, but remember the grade boundaries will go down so its ok.

ReputationRep:
    is any1 doing chartism on fri... if i get a E on this paper i need a B on chartism which isnt too bad, little less stressed now!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.