Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

celloel's track to success! (AS Level) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm celloel and this is my blog on improving my grades to try and get AS results I'll be proud of. I'm going to need to do a lot of home study this year, as my attendance at college has been and will continue to be very low due to a chronic medical condition I have - the same happened during my GCSE year, so I am acquainted with the pains of trying to teach yourself and the strong desire for procrastination. I'm using this blog to motivate myself on those days when my body is screaming and I just want to sleep the day away!
    My ultimate goal is to complete A levels next year and gain a place at University to study Information Systems (for Business).

GCSE Results:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Literature - A*
    English Language - A*
    History - A*
    Maths - A
    Science - A
    Additional Science - A
    Business Studies - A
    AS Level Subjects:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    History
    English Literature
    English Language
    ICT
    (EPQ)
    Plans and acceptance for 'extras':
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Higher Education+ with Cambridge - Completed
    Masterclasses with Corpus Christi - Accepted for Linguistics, cannot attend (family issues that day)
    'Explore with US' Conferences - Completed
    Final Grades:
    • English Language - A
    • ICT - A
    • English Literature - A
    • History - B
    • EPQ - A
    Grades (as of March 2016):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • English Language - B
    • ICT - A
    • English Literature - B
    • History - B
    Predicted Grades/goals:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • ELang - B/A
    • ICT - B/A
    • ELit - B/B
    • Hist - B/C
    • EPQ - No Prediction/A
    Mock Results (Feb-March 2016):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • ICT: A
    • English Literature: B(+) (In Drama & Prose)
    • English Language: B
    • History: B
    Mock Results (April 2016):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • English Language: A in Theories (paper 2), A in Language Analysis text (paper 1)
    • English Literature: A in Poetry, B(+) in Shakespeare
    My Exams/Coursework:
    History: Industrialisation and the People: Britain, 18/5/16 and Cold War, 25/5/16.
    English Literature: Shakespeare and Poetry, 20/5/16 and Drama and Prose, 26/5/16
    English Language: Lang and the Individual: 23/5/16 and Lang Varieties 8/6/16
    ICT: Unit 1, 6/6/16 and coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 26/01/16 - Day 1: 113 days until my first exam
    I was technically supposed to be at college from 9am until 4.20pm today, but so I won't feel too exhausted by the day my teacher allows me not go into English Literature on Tuesday mornings, so I start at 12.35 instead. It makes Tuesdays a lot easier! I was hoping to catch up English work in the morning prior to leaving for college but my morning was taken up by a medical appointment instead.
    ICT was alright. I always enjoy going to lessons as I find the subject incredibly interesting. We're currently studying for 6B - ICT in Education, so fairly close to finishing all of the topics (I believe).
    Then I started to feel unwell around midday and I fell asleep in History (Cold War) - this happens sometimes. I'll have to check the notes I did make because I don't remember what on earth the lesson was about. I believe it was related to the Suez Crisis. In English Language my teacher asked me if I wanted to be nominated for a Cambridge University masterclass - I accepted.
    I was intending to do some work when I got home, but I fell asleep and woke up at around 10:30, so I decided now was as good a time as any to write this blog entry! Hopefully I'll get some work done tomorrow, but perhaps not due to a medical appointment
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your nomination.

and the rest of this blog. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 13/02/16 - 95 days until first exam
    I'm extremely far behind with my work due to flare ups with being ill - I've been missing a lot of college and sleeping way too much! Hopefully I'll be able to use half-term to catch up everything I've missed (which is actually a couple of topics worth in each of my subjects). I'm not going to lie, I'm very nervous about the exams that are rapidly approaching and I won't be surprised in August if I haven't done very well at all as I seem to be deteriorating in general and finding any time to study is very difficult. Hopefully I'll be able to in the coming months, but it seems to be unlikely.

I have quit some long-term commitments though so I will hopefully have more time to study!

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 24/02/16 - 84 days until first exam
    I haven't been doing much in terms of revision, hence the lack of updates. However, our mocks are now approaching - the first ones I've done for AS Levels (ever) - so I will be doing some form of studying over the coming days and weeks! I've already done my English Literature mock, that being on A Streetcar Named Desire and The Great Gatsby. It was okay, I at least remembered quotes and literary criticisms. I know I'll have to work on including context, though.

I have an ICT mock tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon, and then I'm off to HE+ for the evening, so I'll be out from 7.30am-9pm (exhausting day, honestly). I'll be revising for that today as I have the day off.

- Priorities for revision: 6a, 6b, 6c: Uses of ICT in business, education & healthcare.
    - Do this by:
    - Reading the textbook
    - Highlight key pieces of information
    - Make notes on these key pieces
    - Re-read the notes
    - Do practise questions
    - Mark them; re-read what I don't know
    - Circuit until I know the information thoroughly.
    - Plan for today (It helps to have something to stick to):
    10am-10.35am: Revision
    10.35am - 11.50am: Go into town, get some lunch
    11.50am - 12.20pm: Eat lunch
    12.20pm - 1.30pm: Revision
    1.30pm-3.00pm: Mum returns home; likely going out
    3.30pm-5.00pm: Revision
    5.00pm-8.00pm: Break
    8.00pm-9.00pm: Tidy up last bits of revision

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 27/02/16 - 81 days until first exam
    Great news! I got nominated for and accepted onto a Cambridge masterclass for linguistics. The bad news? I won't be able to attend as I will be looking after some family over that weekend. But I'm still very happy that I was accepted!

I have a few mocks next week I have yet to revise for, but that's simply because my medical condition as been kicking my butt lately! After sleeping for 14 hours or so I'm feeling a tad better, so will hopefully squeeze in some revision today. However, my dad is returning home from a business trip today so I'll want to speak to him

My mock schedule (as far as I know) is as follows:
    Monday 29/02/16: English Language - Language & the Individual PT I
    History - British Industrialisation
    Tuesday 1/03/16: English Language - Language & the Individual PT II
    Thursday 03/03/16: English Language - Language Discourses (It may be a mock, or a mini-exam. If this isn't the mock, I'll be doing it the week after, 10/03/16).

So I need to be revising for History today, for sure, as I haven't been attending the lessons for Industrialisation. I'm going to be reading through the textbook, making notes and then doing some of the answer questions within the textbook. Hopefully I have left myself enough time, but if not, it's a wake-up call that I'll definitely need to do a lot more revision for the real exams in May!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    Saturday 27/02/16 - 81 days until first exam
    Great news! I got nominated for and accepted onto a Cambridge masterclass for linguistics. The bad news? I won't be able to attend as I will be looking after some family over that weekend. But I'm still very happy that I was accepted!

I have a few mocks next week I have yet to revise for, but that's simply because my medical condition as been kicking my butt lately! After sleeping for 14 hours or so I'm feeling a tad better, so will hopefully squeeze in some revision today. However, my dad is returning home from a business trip today so I'll want to speak to him

My mock schedule (as far as I know) is as follows:
    Monday 29/02/16: English Language - Language & the Individual PT I
    History - British Industrialisation
    Tuesday 1/03/16: English Language - Language & the Individual PT II
    Thursday 03/03/16: English Language - Language Discourses (It may be a mock, or a mini-exam. If this isn't the mock, I'll be doing it the week after, 10/03/16).

So I need to be revising for History today, for sure, as I haven't been attending the lessons for Industrialisation. I'm going to be reading through the textbook, making notes and then doing some of the answer questions within the textbook. Hopefully I have left myself enough time, but if not, it's a wake-up call that I'll definitely need to do a lot more revision for the real exams in May!

Good luck in your exams! i noticed your taking english language- im assuming your doing aqa new spec, because of the exam dates. im also taking this, and was wondering of you have an analytical writing piece (paper 1) that you wouldnt mind sharing. ive got the 'official' aqa one, but i just want an example to look at the types of things youve picked out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's Me!)
    Good luck in your exams! i noticed your taking english language- im assuming your doing aqa new spec, because of the exam dates. im also taking this, and was wondering of you have an analytical writing piece (paper 1) that you wouldnt mind sharing. ive got the 'official' aqa one, but i just want an example to look at the types of things youve picked out.
    Hiya! I am doing the AQA spec, I do have a piece of writing for it and I'd be happy to share if you think it'd help! I'll PM you tomorrow with it :-)

ReputationRep:
    Monday 29/2/16: 79 Days
    I had my first mock in History today, that being on Industrialisation. I find the topic boring and fairly difficult, but I managed to get down a few sides to each question and knew some contextual information so I believe it went at least fairly well.

For some reason lately I've been having a bad procrastination problem (more so than usual). I have my EPQ Presentation booked for a week on Thursday, and yet I haven't even started the PowerPoint. I have however completed the essay, which is lovely to say! I ended up coming home from the exam today and playing sims for 8 hours, which I'm not even sure how I managed to do, and I am not proud of at all, although my sim has been promoted. All I have left to do for the EPQ is to finish up the logbook, evaluate the sources and do the presentation! Hopefully it's a decent enough grade, which, with the amount of waffling I had to do to make up the word count, isn't looking completely likely.

Tomorrow I have a lunch with the Principal and the Governors of my College that I was invited to, before my 2 lessons, which will hopefully be fun/interesting to go to. Then home and I plan to evaluate the sources for my EPQ, to get that out of the way, and perhaps do some revision for English Language!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! I am doing the AQA spec, I do have a piece of writing for it and I'd be happy to share if you think it'd help! I'll PM you tomorrow with it :-)
    Thanks!! That'll really help me out hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 2/3/16: 77 Days
    I received my IT and English Literature mock grades (updated OP for these), which came back as an A and B(+) respectively. These are my current predictions, and I am hoping these are the grades I will achieve in June as I am pleased with them.

Tomorrow is a hard day - lessons all day, then HE+ in the evening. I've been attempting to revise and complete essays for various subjects, but I'm having a flare up of my condition at the moment & with sleeping all day doing work is getting a little hard I haven't been attending lessons for a few days because of it. Tomorrow there is also a University fair at my college, which will be incredibly interesting to attend and find out about the different Universities I am looking at applying to this October time.

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 3/3/16: 76 Days
    I've received my progress check for March, and some of the grades have gone down. The reasoning given was because I've not been attending lessons due to having flare ups of my condition, and so have been falling behind. That's fair enough, and the changed grades are not bad grades - it's always better to be realistic. I am upset that I could've been getting higher grades if I wasn't sick so often, but that's life I suppose.

I am having a flare up at the moment, and cant really walk due to being in pain, so unfortunately I won't be able to attend the university fair at college. I'm planning on catching up revision for Hamlet - notes up to Act 4, English Language - notes on Language & Occupation and Gender, IT - software databases and History - Cold War. It's a lot, but I'll do small amounts of each to make some headway on what I have to catch up.

I'm seriously panicking about the June exams. Last year I was lucky as I didn't have a flare up during the entire exam period, but the thought of feeling like death during the exams makes me want to cringe. Not only that, with the amount of lessons and content I'm missing, my grades are not going to be nearly as high as I could have achieved, which is (obviously) upsetting. My attendance is something like 50%.

ReputationRep:
    Friday 3/3/16: 68 Days
    My only thoughts about the summer exams are 'Well I'm ****ed.' at the moment. I did my EPQ Presentation yesterday, which went well, and I'm glad it's pretty much over with, but I'm not sure what standard grade I'll be receiving. I also had an English Language mock for Language Discourses, which was okay, but I find the second question (writing a 'witty' opinion article for a newspaper on language theory, whilst including language theorists and simplifying it) to be a difficult task. I've also heard from examiners that it's a hard task to ask of students - I know I didn't do well, it's one of the worst pieces of writing I believe I've ever done, but it's a learning curve.

I've been getting more and more ill lately (I'm in the midst of a what I believe to be a particularly bad 'flare' up of my condition), which isn't great for trying to study. Whenever I try to focus on something, I end up falling asleep, etc, and lately when I get up I either get lightheaded and fall over or just feel dizzy. But I'm really trying to write up plans and stick to them, studying for 15 minutes or so and then having naps to allow my body time to heal. I've missed about a week of college, so obviously I have a lot of work set out ahead for me, but I'm mentally ready for it!

Only 68 days to go, which is just over 2 months. That's honestly terrifying.

ReputationRep:
    Friday 3/3/16: 68 Days
    My only thoughts about the summer exams are 'Well I'm ****ed.' at the moment. I did my EPQ Presentation yesterday, which went well, and I'm glad it's pretty much over with, but I'm not sure what standard grade I'll be receiving. I also had an English Language mock for Language Discourses, which was okay, but I find the second question (writing a 'witty' opinion article for a newspaper on language theory, whilst including language theorists and simplifying it) to be a difficult task. I've also heard from examiners that it's a hard task to ask of students - I know I didn't do well, it's one of the worst pieces of writing I believe I've ever done, but it's a learning curve.

I've been getting more and more ill lately (I'm in the midst of a what I believe to be a particularly bad 'flare' up of my condition), which isn't great for trying to study. Whenever I try to focus on something, I end up falling asleep, etc, and lately when I get up I either get lightheaded and fall over or just feel dizzy. But I'm really trying to write up plans and stick to them, studying for 15 minutes or so and then having naps to allow my body time to heal. I've missed about a week of college, so obviously I have a lot of work set out ahead for me, but I'm mentally ready for it!

Only 68 days to go, which is just over 2 months. That's honestly terrifying.
    Oh no! It might be better to work in weeks. It sounds a lot more scary when you countdown in days. Just under 10 weeks sounds a lot better to me, I don't know about you but it makes me less stressed,

I believe in you! You can catch the work up. It's always annoying trying to catch up but it's easier in some ways since you don't have to do all the pointless smaller tasks. I hope you feel better soon though! Anything involving pain is generally bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ara8311a)
    Oh no! It might be better to work in weeks. It sounds a lot more scary when you countdown in days. Just under 10 weeks sounds a lot better to me, I don't know about you but it makes me less stressed,

I believe in you! You can catch the work up. It's always annoying trying to catch up but it's easier in some ways since you don't have to do all the pointless smaller tasks. I hope you feel better soon though! Anything involving pain is generally bad...
    Weeks is a little less worrying, but I think I need the kick at this point
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Friday 25/3/16: 54 Days
    I missed 6 consecutive days of college recently due to a particularly bad flare up, which has (obviously) left me with a LOT of catch up work to do. I've created a 2 week plan for Easter, which honestly is quite full, but I really do need to buckle down and catch up so I can then start my revision. I got some more mock results back and they're not great (low Bs) and so I know I really do need to start focusing as much as I can now.

I'm starting to lower my expectations for the end of this year's results. According to my teachers, if all had been well with me throughout this year I'd have achieved AABB or AAAB, however because of how much I've been forced to miss, I'm looking at anything from ABBB (high) to BBCC, or less. That's honestly very upsetting, but I can try my hardest to get the ABBB (or maybe prove them wrong? ) and as long as I did try then I'll be okay with whatever happens come August.

My revision for today is as follows:
    Tidy up EPQ, send that to my teacher
    Revise Cold War
    Do Cold War Mock
    Go to Cello lesson
    Catch up some Language Discourses work

Wish me luck! Not long to go now

ReputationRep:
    Weeks is a little less worrying, but I think I need the kick at this point
    Thank you very much
    So do I but I prefer avoiding the truth as much as I can. 7 weeks already sounds bad enough.
    Friday 25/3/16: 54 Days
    I missed 6 consecutive days of college recently due to a particularly bad flare up, which has (obviously) left me with a LOT of catch up work to do. I've created a 2 week plan for Easter, which honestly is quite full, but I really do need to buckle down and catch up so I can then start my revision. I got some more mock results back and they're not great (low Bs) and so I know I really do need to start focusing as much as I can now.

I'm starting to lower my expectations for the end of this year's results. According to my teachers, if all had been well with me throughout this year I'd have achieved AABB or AAAB, however because of how much I've been forced to miss, I'm looking at anything from ABBB (high) to BBCC, or less. That's honestly very upsetting, but I can try my hardest to get the ABBB (or maybe prove them wrong? ) and as long as I did try then I'll be okay with whatever happens come August.

My revision for today is as follows:
    Tidy up EPQ, send that to my teacher
    Revise Cold War
    Do Cold War Mock
    Go to Cello lesson
    Catch up some Language Discourses work

Wish me luck! Not long to go now
    You can definitely prove your teachers wrong! You can 'grow your grades'. Even if not, how much does it really matter? The most important thing in life is our health and without that we're pretty much stuffed. I hope you are okay now though and that you get done what you want to over Easter!

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 31/3/16: 47 Days

I wanted to do a lot of revision/catch up work over Easter (I've been having bad flare ups lately and have missed a lot of college), however I've gotten worse again (basically the story of my life ).

I've been pretty much laying in bed with a ton of symptoms - which I won't go in to - for the past 6 days. I'm having an ok period right now, hence the update. Honestly, at this point I know I'm not going to pass my AS Levels simply because I cannot do anything - it's hard enough to stop feeling nauseas enough to look at my computer screen. I'm in a constant state of worry because if it weren't for my health I would have passed and that's so incredibly gutting.

But I've just got to look to the future and stop worrying, I suppose. My health is what matters. When I feel like I can, I'll do the catching up (I've got another week of Easter) and hopefully will have done enough revision to feel confident in the exams. It's looking unlikely, though. This is kind of just a ramble update, because I'm honestly feeling incredibly angry and worried about my future currently.

ReputationRep:
    Friday 1/4/16: 46 Days

Went to the doctors, and it turns out I have a bacterial infection, which is almost good news - it wasn't just a flare up of my condition, and I just have to take antibiotics and I'll be back to my usual state of unwell-ness! Woo!

Hopefully I'll start to feel better by Monday and can get some revision done next week, but for now it's rest and water.

Submit reply
Updated: August 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.