Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

celloel's track to success! (AS Level) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    Thursday 31/3/16: 47 Days

I wanted to do a lot of revision/catch up work over Easter (I've been having bad flare ups lately and have missed a lot of college), however I've gotten worse again (basically the story of my life ).

I've been pretty much laying in bed with a ton of symptoms - which I won't go in to - for the past 6 days. I'm having an ok period right now, hence the update. Honestly, at this point I know I'm not going to pass my AS Levels simply because I cannot do anything - it's hard enough to stop feeling nauseas enough to look at my computer screen. I'm in a constant state of worry because if it weren't for my health I would have passed and that's so incredibly gutting.

But I've just got to look to the future and stop worrying, I suppose. My health is what matters. When I feel like I can, I'll do the catching up (I've got another week of Easter) and hopefully will have done enough revision to feel confident in the exams. It's looking unlikely, though. This is kind of just a ramble update, because I'm honestly feeling incredibly angry and worried about my future currently.
    You're lucky to have an actual reason why you aren't revising! I'm just not revising at the moment... You have the rest of your life ahead of you. My cousin redid the entire year of AS and he's got into the uni he wants now. It isn't the end of the world if you have to hold off for a year. As you said, health is what matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ara8311a)
    You're lucky to have an actual reason why you aren't revising! I'm just not revising at the moment... You have the rest of your life ahead of you. My cousin redid the entire year of AS and he's got into the uni he wants now. It isn't the end of the world if you have to hold off for a year. As you said, health is what matters.
    Thank you so much, it really does mean a lot to me. I have been learning to accept that whilst I may have to repeat the year or do another course, I can still get into a good University and fulfil my plans, etc, so it's not the be all and end all!

Best of luck in all of your exams and battling procrastination :P
    Thank you again

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 5/04/16 - 42 Days
    My bacterial infection hasn't completely cleared up, but it's getting a LOT better, and I am no longer confined to my bed! I managed to shower and dress myself, etc, yesterday which was absolutely awesome. So, today, I've decided to try and achieve a goal of two hours of revision/general college work. It's a big goal for me, but I'm going to try my hardest

I've got a plan to 'ease' myself into it. I'll be doing 10 minutes of work, with 10 minute breaks to sleep or rest, etc, over and over again for as long as I can manage, for 2 hours. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good amount done - I'm planning on evaluating some sources for my EPQ (which is just about finished - all I have left to do is finish the log book and evaluate woo!!), finish chapter 2 on the Cold War, and perhaps do some work on English Language discourses.

I've got a lot of work to do before college starts next week, but that's ok. I know I can do it. I might even leave the house today (if I feel up to it a bit later!) Most of all, I'm happy to be feeling a bit better

ReputationRep:
    17/04/16 - 30? Days
    Hiya! It's been a while, but I completed my first week back at college after Easter (sort of - I had Friday off because I wasn't feeling well). I started watching the Walking Dead with my mum over Easter and honestly it's beginning to become a problem (we're over halfway through Season 4 in less than 2 weeks), so I'm trying to tone it down a bit so I can focus on my revision. Anything to procrastinate!

Into the A Level work: I got a Language paper back I did over Easter, and in my hardest section (writing an opinion article on a language theory) and I got an A (also an A on the overall papers), so I'm very happy! I also have a mock exam on Wednesday in Literature on Hamlet and poetry, so I'm trying to make sure I do some revision for that and memorise some quotes, as I haven't done any for that yet. I have finished making my spreadsheet for the ICT exam and just have to do the screenshots for that.
    Today, my goal is to:
    - Catch up English Literature work from Friday
    - Revise Literature
    - Do History Industrialisation work (lesson was cancelled)
    And then over the course of the next week (ish) I have to tidy up my EPQ essay, just adding in page numbers and silly things like that, then that'll be completely finished (woo!)
    Only 1 month and 1 day today, so I should really start actually revising for it.

ReputationRep:
    20/04/16 - 28 Days
    4 weeks today until my first exam, which will be in British Industrialisation. Time to get serious with my revision.
    I've finished my EPQ and the official hand-in is tomorrow, which is great because I'm hoping it'll free up some time that I can instead dedicate toward my AS Levels. I've decided to update the blog once a week (starting today) with my goals for each day, etc, and whether I did the previous week's goals.
    I had a mock exam in English Literature today (Shakespeare and Poetry) and so I did some revision today (I'll attach the notes incase anyone might randomly be reading this and find them useful - they're on critics/quotes for Hamlet, OCR themed) and found out that TSR had some actually very useful study tools, which I didn't know about! I also want to show off my beautifully coloured mind maps
    Hamlet Revision Sources:So, my plan for the upcoming week is as follows:
    Thursday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    3 hours of work
    History - Cold War: Finish topic 2.6 notes, 2.7 notes
    History - Industrialisation: Topic 1.1 notes
    ICT - Homework (Case studies on Topic 11)
    Friday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    3 hours of work
    English Language - notes on occupation theories
    English Literature - mind-map on Rossetti's key quotes, link them
    Saturday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    4 hours of work
    History - Cold War: 2.8+ notes (will fill in which topics)
    History - Industrialisation: 1.2+ notes (will fill in which topics)
    English Literature - practise Rossetti essay on poem 'Twice' or 'A Birthday'
    Sunday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    3 hours of work
    History - Cold War: 2.8+ notes
    History - Industrialisation: 1.2+ notes
    History - practise essay found in book on topics in Section 1 for both Cold War & Industrialisation
    Monday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2 hours of work
    English Language - notes on social groups, revise them, create flashcards for theorists
    English Literature - mind map on quotes/critics for Streetcar
    Tuesday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1 hour of work
    ICT - add mind-map about topic 11 (and 7?)
    Wednesday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2 hours of work
    History - Cold War
    History - Industrialisation

ReputationRep:
    20/04/16 - 19 Days
    For the most part, I did revision over the last week! I also did two mock exams and handed in my EPQ (phew) - I'm unsure when I'll get my grade back, but I am very happy it's all done. I got an A in the Shakespeare mock and a high B in the poetry, so I assume that comes out overall as a high B for that exam, which is what I want in the summer, so I'm very happy about that!
    Plan for the upcoming week (my second to last week at college before study leave!):
    Saturday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm going to visit a University tomorrow with my sister, so I'll be out almost all day. I will have a few hours in the evening though, so I plan to:
    History Industrialisation: Topic 2.3 X
    Not much, but I know I'll be exhausted when I get home
    Sunday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    History Industrialisation: Topic 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 X
    Cold War: Topic 2.10
    Literature: Linking Rossetti by poetic features X
    Monday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Bank holiday!
    Industrialisation: Topic 8 X
    Cold War: Topic 11
    Language: Memorise theories!
    ICT: Spreadsheet section topic - learn it X
    Tuesday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2 and a half hour free period:
    ICT: finish final improvements to spreadsheet X
    Literature: quotes for Streetcar X
    Cold War: Topic 12 notes
    Wednesday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Cold War: Go through content - do you know it? X
    Literature: quotes for Gatsby X
    ICT: add topic 11, 7 to mind map
    Thursday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Industrialisation: Topic 9, 10
    Friday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Industrialisation: Topic 11, 12
    Literature: quotes for Hamlet X
    ICT: What do you know on: topics 1-2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    20/04/16 - 19 Days
    For the most part, I did revision over the last week! I also did two mock exams and handed in my EPQ (phew) - I'm unsure when I'll get my grade back, but I am very happy it's all done. I got an A in the Shakespeare mock and a high B in the poetry, so I assume that comes out overall as a high B for that exam, which is what I want in the summer, so I'm very happy about that!
    Plan for the upcoming week (my second to last week at college before study leave!):
    Saturday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm going to visit a University tomorrow with my sister, so I'll be out almost all day. I will have a few hours in the evening though, so I plan to:
    History Industrialisation: Topic 2.3
    Not much, but I know I'll be exhausted when I get home
    Sunday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    History Industrialisation: Topic 2.4, 2.5, 2.6
    Cold War: Topic 2.10
    Literature: Linking Rossetti by poetic features
    Monday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Bank holiday!
    Industrialisation: Topic 8, 9, 10
    Cold War: Topic 11
    Language: Memorise theories!
    ICT: Spreadsheet section topic - learn it
    Tuesday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2 and a half hour free period:
    ICT: finish final improvements to spreadsheet
    Literature: quotes for Streetcar
    Cold War: Topic 12 notes
    Wednesday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Industrialisation: Topic 11, 12 (finish?)
    Cold War: Go through content - do you know it?
    Literature: quotes for Gatsby
    ICT: add topic 11, 7 to mind map
    Thursday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Industrialisation: Go through content - do you know it? (Long day, will be tired)
    Friday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Industrialisation: Key dates!
    Literature: quotes for Hamlet
    ICT: What do you know on: topics 1-2
    Hii sorry but how do you revise for english lit
    I do othello and poetry
    Persuasion and gatsby
    I'm finding it hard and aiming for a good grade!
    Do you have any revision tips

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goal101)
    Hii sorry but how do you revise for english lit
    I do othello and poetry
    Persuasion and gatsby
    I'm finding it hard and aiming for a good grade!
    Do you have any revision tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hiya! (OCR specification - this is specific to this spec, so not sure about others)
    For poetry, I'd recommend linking themes and poetic features to quotes from different poems - for example, think about poems that discuss the theme of religion, then link quotes. This is because you'll need to use the quotes in your analysis of the poem. You also want to go over each one, make sure you know it and have annotated it.
    For Gatsby, just go bit by bit, looking at the important themes and linking quotes - memorise the quotes. Think about how you could analyse them or link them to different questions; what is the question on? etc
    For Shakespeare, again, memories quotes based on themes (this is the easiest way to remember for me). The paper will probably have one character and one theme question, so make sure you have a range of questions. MEMORISE THEM. Know literary features - you get marks for this. Memories critics - you need to know some.
    And the same for the play you're doing - you need to know critics, some themes and some devices used.

ReputationRep:
    9/05/16 - 9 days
    We're into single digit days now... which is terrifying! Not long until my industrialisation exam, and it's the one I'm least confident in, so I've been focusing majorly on that. I haven't gotten as much revision as planned done, but I have my reasons. I still have 9 days - I know I can do this I've now done my final Monday before study leave! Only 4 days of college left, then I get a break away from college (with exams somewhat ruining it).
    Here's my plan for the next 4 days (incl. today). I'm making it shorter as I have less days, and want to be able to edit as and when I need to.
    Monday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    History Industrialisation: Chapter 9 X
    English Literature: Go through quotes for Hamlet, Poetry X
    Tuesday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Industrialisation: Chapter 10, 11 X
    English Literature: Write out quotes based on theme, memorise some critics for Hamlet X
    English Language: Revise Paper 2 (theories) for a mock! X
    ICT: 3 questions on topic 10, workbook for topic 8, case study question practice X
    Wednesday
    Spoiler:
    Show

English Literature: Write out quotes again - memorise critics again; practice essays for Hamlet and Poetry X
    ICT: Learn: Topic 9 X
    English Language: Do a mock on theories - opinion piece! :-) X
    Thursday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Long day! Not going to get much done.
    Cold War: Chapter 10 maybe 11
    Industrialisation: Chapter 12

ReputationRep:
    I created a mind map of quotes on Gatsby by idea/theme, incase anybody needs them!
    Here it is: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/diagrams/ga

Also have one for streetcar: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/d...s-by-themeidea
    Spoiler:
    Show
    goal101 if you're interested - I see you do Gatsby!

ReputationRep:
    13/05/16 - 5 days until exam
    I'm writing this at midnight, mildly panicking at how close exams are. I can't believe it's only 5 days until my first AS Level exam - that's crazy! I'm definitely feeling like I'm not prepared as thoroughly as I could be, but I still have time and I know I can do it. I got a call from my doctor at the hospital yesterday and short things short I ended up having a mini-crisis (I'm being transferred departments, most likely being diagnosed with another(!), different incurable physical disability) - I had to write it off as a 'no-revision day' because I felt too down in the dumps and, if I'm honest, a bit sorry for myself (I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that though!)
    Tomorrow is my last day of college before study leave and therefore my last day of Year 12/AS Year - that's flown by very quickly. I'm writing out my plan for tomorrow (Friday) and the next few days, but I'll continue to update this blog closer to my first exam and throughout the exam period.
    Friday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Cold War: Chapter 10 notes X
    Industrialisation: Chapter 12: notes, do practice essay (even if it's just a plan) X
    ICT: Learn (final section of) topic 12: notes X
    Saturday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Out all day, so won't be getting much done
    Industrialisation: Plan out practice essays on Chapters 1-3/4 X
    Sunday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Industrialisation: Read through notes, plan out essays on Chapters 5-7 X
    Monday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Study leave begins
    ICT: Mind maps on topics: 1-4 X
    English Literature: Hamlet: QUOTES, CRITICS - plan 3 essays. Write one. X
    Industrialisation: Timeline of events x
    Tuesday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Industrialisation: Timeline of events, plan out essays Chapters 8-12, read through notes, plan and organise yourself for the exam tomorrow. Practice structure, read mark scheme - go through textbook - do you know it? Do you know the timeline? X
    English Literature: Context for Hamlet and Poetry - know at least 3/4 for each - Plan 3 essays for Poetry, do one. x
    English Language: Revise sentence types, clause types, phrase types (noun, verb, etc) - know different terminology, not just word classes x
    Wednesday - FIRST EXAM DAY
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Afternoon exam - try to relax in the morning and prepare yourself
    Industrialisation: One last look over timeline of events - go through key events. X

ReputationRep:
    19/05/16 - 20 days until last exam
    I wasn't really sure what countdown to do anymore - since I did my first exam yesterday(!) I'm glad it's out of the way and as long as the rest of my exams go well, I'll never have to open another textbook on Industrialisation again (woo)
    Tomorrow (Friday) I have an exam in Shakespeare & Poetry for English Literature, which I'm hoping to do well in as it's the paper I was strongest in during all of my mocks. The exam that's concerning me the most (at the moment) is Cold War on Wednesday as I really can't remember anything for it! I'll have to focus some of my efforts on that.
    Here's my plan for the next few days
    Thursday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Literature: Shakespeare and poetry exam tomorrow. Focus on making sure quotes stick in your mind for both and do 3x practice plans for each text. Write out an essay for each of them. Learn context for both - make sure it's firm in your mind - and remember critics for Hamlet - enough to relate any question to. X
    English Language: Revise key terms - any that you remember. Do a practice essay if you have time - do a spot quiz X
    Cold War: Notes on Chapter 11 X
    Friday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Literature Paper 1 in the morning. Afternoon revision:
    English Literature: Begin revision for Gatsby and Streetcar: make mind maps on key quotes for Gatsby. Learn context.
    English Language: Key terms! Do a practice essay
    Cold War: Reaffirm knowledge - look at the timeline, create your own
    Saturday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Language: Practice essay - continue learning key terms; read the mark scheme
    English Literature: Finish mind maps on key quotes for Gatsby - context map - begin mind map for Streetcar
    Cold War: Make plans on questions Chapters 1-5
    Sunday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Language: Exam tomorrow: Spot quiz on key terms; read mark scheme again; look at exemplar essays - practice essay
    English Literature: CRITICS for streetcar - make sure you know enough for a variety of questions!
    Cold War: Read through notes again - make plans on chapters 6-8
    Monday
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Language Paper 1 exam in the morning. Afternoon revision:
    Cold War: Read through notes; make plans on chapters 9 - reaffirm knowledge; timeline
    English Literature: Streetcar critics and quotes - mind maps. Plan 3x essays for each

ReputationRep:
    02/06/16 - 6 days until last exam
    Hello! I know it's been a while; that's mainly because I felt very ill after my last exam last week and needed to take a break from revision. But now I'm very ready to get started again - only two exams left, and then it'll all be over! (Until next year, of course). These exams are two of my most important (I want to get decent grades in these two subjects) so I'm trying to focus my energy on reaffirming my knowledge for them.
    Here's my plan for the next week:
    Thursday:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ICT - Do a practice paper; mark it as you go. Note down topics I am unsure of. Reaffirm knowledge for topic 7
    Language - Notes on Gender theories; revision for them
    Friday:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Working today at a festival; will try to work when home
    ICT - Notes on topics 8 and 9
    Saturday:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Working again
    ICT - Notes on topics 10
    Sunday:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ICT - Notes on topic 11-12; past paper. Are you ready for the exam tomorrow? Look at topics I am most unsure of.
    Language - Notes on Accent & Dialect and Social groups
    Monday:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Morning - ICT exam
    Language - Notes on Occupation
    Tuesday:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Language - Do 2x Practice papers - focus on opinion article section. Note down all the theorists you know.
    Wednesday:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Language exam - Afternoon
    Language - Reaffirm your knowledge; read over theorists. Are you ready? Look at theories most unsure of.

ReputationRep:
    All exams over!
    I wanted to do a post sort of summing up everything as my exams are officially over (woo!). I'm back at college to start A2 on Monday, so there's no real time to rest/celebrate before it all picks back up again. I'm planning on updating this thread with my last post in August with my grades, so this will be my penultimate post and I guess some predictions!

The exam season was definitely hard, and it took its toll on my body. I'm still exhausted and sleeping 12+ hours each day, and I am in a lot of pain in my joints, etc, from a flare up of my condition brought on by the exams, but I'm super glad it's all over until next year. I found the exams to be quite difficult, but I'm entirely uncertain on predictions for my grades. I always get agitated after exams and can never truly say how it went, although I feel like a few of these exams I performed poorly in - at least not as well as I could have. That's not from lack of revision or knowledge, more I was finding it hard to write extended essays or formulate my ideas correctly, which I usually don't find hard. Hopefully I did better than I thought though.

So here's some predictions! These are being incredibly kind - I'll probably get lower grades than this, but there's nothing wrong with a little optimism in these next few months
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ICT - A (the exam was hard, but my grade in the Coursework (80/80) will hopefully bring it up to an A overall)
    English Language - B (I wanted an A, but a B will make me happy!)
    History - B
    English Literature - B/C
    Again, these are being slightly optimistic - I think - so I'll have to wait until August to see how close I was!

Best of luck to anyone still doing exams, and I hope you all get the grades you want/need/deserve come August <3
    -cello

ReputationRep:
    Summer Update - 2 sleeps until Results Day!
    Over summer I've mainly been having a little bit of rest and relaxation - I'll probably do a little work on my coursework once I've got my results and all! I've also got a little bit of a short job to be starting soon.
    I'm very nervous about results day (naturally), but also quite excited. I hope I've done well, but honestly anything could happen on Thursday. Fingers crossed for the results I want/need! I definitely think this blog has helped me to 'grow my grades', having something to fill in and plan out my week certainly helped to organise my study leave. My next step is to continue on with college and drop a subject - which subject I drop is dependent on my results

ReputationRep:
    Results Day Update!
    This will be my final post in this blog I started way back in January - and I've certainly come a long way since. Here are my final grades:

English Literature - A
    English Language - A
    ICT - A
    EPQ - A
    History - B

AAAB(A) far exceeds any of the hopes I had for myself, and exceeds the predictions of teachers. I definitely did 'grow my grades' this year, and I am very, very happy with the results! The work I put in certainly managed to pay off and I couldn't ask for anything more. I'll now be applying to University this September and I'll be dropping English Literature (to ensure I have a wider range of subject content). I needed this good news today, as I've recently been diagnosed with 2 more conditions, and it's made my week. It's okay to say I'm proud of myself, right?
    I hope everybody else got the grades they needed and deserved!

Submit reply
Updated: August 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.