Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your first job? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erika foster)
    but the that is my first job and my current one hardly ****ing ********
    Be nice!

ReputationRep:
    Had a job at a JD warehouse over the summer. Horrible place to work but easy money at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    The hours were long, it was repetitive. Almost everyone was Lithuanian and they rarely spoke to anyone else, I am visibly not Lithuanian so they never made an effort to speak to me.

The few people I did speak with kept moving around, so we didn't share breaks so I would spend most days barely speaking as we weren't allowed to 'chat' on the job, although we still did but we'd get in trouble. Being silent for so many hours is impossible for me.

I felt the lack of mental stimulus absolutely mind numbing and lack of conversation, especially as my friends were in uni and they go out and party multiple times a week.
    That's what I'm afraid of. I thought of getting into logistics management (I'm a graduate btw) but I'd probably have to start in a similar position to you if I can't get into a grad scheme and hence have to deal with the same problems. Silence I can handle, mental numbness I cannot.

Was the pay at least any good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneMusketeer)
    That's what I'm afraid of. I thought of getting into logistics management (I'm a graduate btw) but I'd probably have to start in a similar position to you if I can't get into a grad scheme and hence have to deal with the same problems. Silence I can handle, mental numbness I cannot.

Was the pay at least any good?
    I'm sure a graduate can find more stimulating jobs than that. I mean I didn't even apply with a CV for this job and it was brilliant considering my age and how I didn't really 'need' that much money, I got like £7.40 an hour for the first 40 hours, 1.5x overtime for doing up to 50 hours, and 2x pay for up to 60 hours.

I actually just remembered I worked for Travelex before Amazon, I forget because I only worked for 2 weeks but I quit when I realised Amazon paid so much more.

ReputationRep:
    Lifeguard
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Volunteer radio DJ at my local hospital when I was 16.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Worked in WHsmith at 17. Never again. Horrible people. Horrible place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    mcdonalds

ReputationRep:
    Working in a cattery, cleaning cages and feeding them. Simple work which earned me £4 an hour or thereabouts. Even earned enough to buy a stereo, which I still have some 13 or so years later.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, so many interesting first jobs!

Amazon sounds awful to work for, luckily I live in a rural area so no massive warehouses for me to get a job in :P

ReputationRep:
    Working for a tuition centre
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Events coordinator for a supermarket complex. I was in charge of liaising with charities and community groups regarding fundraising etc. as well organizing donations, gift collections and that kind of thing. I did this for a while when I was at university.

I had done some painting and decorating when I was 14/15 but that wasn't an official job.

ReputationRep:
    Once upon a time I used to wash pots in a pub kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    My first job was working as a waitress for the executive lounges at a football club but now I work in Asda haha

ReputationRep:
    My first job was working in a cafe in debenhams when I was 16.

ReputationRep:
    I worked in a gun store. I cleaned guns.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeggiiMae)
    Just wondering what everyone's first job was?

I still have mine, as a cinema kiosk assistant, although I do a lot of the projection work now.

Anyone else?
    Working at Primark when I was 17.

ReputationRep:
    born july 1986 dental hygieniest
    (Original post by theonemusketeer)
    sorry, why are you quoting me?
    what do you mean am i quoting you
    (Original post by theonemusketeer)
    you replied with some nonsense when i hadn't asked you anything.
    but the that is my first job and my current one hardly ****ing ********
    LMAOOOOOOO savage :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.