Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving roundabout query Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Recently passed test, was out driving on way home from work.
    Was out driving with my dad (who has been driving for many many years).
    I was in the right hand lane (shown in blue) and was taking the 3rd exit onto a dual carriage way. The red car joined from the 1st exit i drove by and when I did my mirror check and saw the car but decided to then take the right hand lane on exiting and accelerate past them then move back over (checking it was safe to move back to the left hand lane).

Questions
    1. Should I have went back round the roundabout?
    2. In normal situation I would normally exit onto the dual carriage way into the left hand lane is this correct?

thanks
    claire
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    There is no real 100% right or wrong answer to this. Subject to any road markings to the contrary, there is nothing really wrong with what you did, however you do need to pay extra attention to what the other car is doing, as if you are next to him and he suddenly decides he is heading for the wrong exit there could be a collision. What I would do if I had been in your situation would probably have been the same, but I would have allowed the other car to be slightly ahead of me so I could be sure he would in fact take the exit he appeared to be going for, and allow me to abort and continue round if he changed his mind.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah what Talon said - I'd have slowed down a touch in case he decided to go all the way around in the outside lane, you'd have been able to get out of the way in time. But in terms of exiting the roundabout onto the right hand lane, that's fine (and often safer than going into the left hand lane if it's busy.)

A good mindset is, when you're going round the inside lane of a roundabout like this, to plan on exiting into the right hand lane, then check if it's clear to go to the left.

Don't plan on changing lanes in the middle of a exiting a roundabout unless it's clear (because changing from the inside lane of a roundabout to the outside lane of the road during your exit is essentially an unnecessary complication). If it's clear, go to the left. If it's not, go to the right. You also have to be careful of people turning left on that road on the left hand side. Basically, don't make a hazard of something you don't need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire7714)
    Hi,
    Questions

2. In normal situation I would normally exit onto the dual carriage way into the left hand lane is this correct?claire
    I would say that if the roundabout exits onto a dual carriageway then changing lanes is not only unnecessary, but also poor driving because your actions are reducing a two lane system to one lane.

On a dual carriageway I often enter a roundabout in the left lane when another car is on the right. Although there is room for both of us to exit on the same carriageway, drivers often believe they MUST get into the left lane before exiting. So a dual carriage way is now reduced to single lane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mphysical)
    I would say that if the roundabout exits onto a dual carriageway then changing lanes is not only unnecessary, but also poor driving because your actions are reducing a two lane system to one lane.
    Technically in this case she wasn't on the dual carriageway, she was joining it, so she wouldn't have "changed lanes" if she had gone to the left. The left lane of the road that she joined from is probably left turn or left and straight on only. If you are on a dual carriageway then yes, the correct thing is to continue in the lane you are in.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for everyones replies, really helped put it into my head the right thing to do in a difficult situation!
    Will take on board about "hanging back" just incase they go right round

thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    If you're on the inside lane of the roundabout and are exiting onto a two lane road, take the right hand lane upon exit and then move over to the left. Cutting across from inside to outside lane as you exit is incredibly dangerous unless you know for sure that there's no one also wanting to exit the roundabout from the left lane. All you need to do is wait another 50m before changing back to the left lane and it's much safer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    If you're on the inside lane of the roundabout and are exiting onto a two lane road, take the right hand lane upon exit and then move over to the left. Cutting across from inside to outside lane as you exit is incredibly dangerous unless you know for sure that there's no one also wanting to exit the roundabout from the left lane. All you need to do is wait another 50m before changing back to the left lane and it's much safer.
    Silly thing is, as a learner you're taught to always join the left lane upon exiting as you'll fail if you're undertaken upon joining the right lane. Stupid driving test rules tbh, it's normally safer to join the right hand lane for reasons you stated, there should be anyone on your left because anyone that joined at the same time as you should have exited already, but as we see in the OP's case there are often idiots who decide to join you because you're indicating right in the right lane when they're supposed to wait until there's no traffic coming over from the right before they join.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    ..........there are often idiots who decide to join you because you're indicating right in the right lane when they're supposed to wait until there's no traffic coming over from the right before they join.
    Which highway code are you reading? You are perfectly entitled to enter a roundabout in the left lane when there is a gap. The rules do not state all lanes should be clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mphysical)
    Which highway code are you reading? You are perfectly entitled to enter a roundabout in the left lane when there is a gap. The rules do not state all lanes should be clear.
    Just happen to have the latest edition on my desk, as given to me when I attended a speed awareness course fairly recently

Rule 185: When reaching the roundabout you should

*watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware that they may not be signalling correctly or at all

By seeing someone approaching from the right in the right lane signalling right, by joining them on their left you're running a huge risk that they've failed to signal, as many drivers do as they exit a roundabout, and they may in fact wish to take the next exit, in which case you'd be right in their path and you'd better hope they've seen you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Just happen to have the latest edition on my desk, as given to me when I attended a speed awareness course fairly recently

Rule 185: When reaching the roundabout you should

*watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware that they may not be signalling correctly or at all

By seeing someone approaching from the right in the right lane signalling right, by joining them on their left you're running a huge risk that they've failed to signal, as many drivers do as they exit a roundabout, and they may in fact wish to take the next exit, in which case you'd be right in their path and you'd better hope they've seen you.
    Spot on.

To answer the OP's questions:
    1. No. What you did was fine. It also shows you had awareness of your surroundings and acted accordingly with a margin of safety.

2. Yes. This is the case in most circumstances and normally, you won't find a vehicle on your immediate left.

One thing that I'm inferring from that particular situation is that you may have been somewhat hesitant or slow, which kind of "allowed" the numpty to pull out even though you were on the roundabout on his immediate right. My advice for the future is never to allow that to happen. Be progressive when on the roundabout, make stern eye contact with anyone who even looks like they're about to pull out on you, and change speed so that you are never directly alongside another car on the roundabout. Either get behind them or in front (preferably in front) so that you have the choice of exit lanes to yourself and you can take the left-most exit lane if you wish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.