The Student Room Group

Failing Chemistry

Ever since starting college Chemistry hasn't gone to plan. The first teacher we had would rarely turn up, if she did turn up she'd be late, and wouldn't explain anything properly, as well as "teaching" the wrong topics. We complained and she left shortly afterwards. We then had a supply teacher who was amazing. We're now stuck with another teacher who happens to be Mexican, so is impossible to understand, I realise they can't fire him because of his accent so we're obviously going to have to deal with it.

However, I literally understand NO chemistry at all, (we had a mock exam a few weeks ago and got told to aim for 10% which should prove to you how behind we are)

What would you recommend me to do to catch up on 5 months of work before the end of this academic year, I really don't want to have to repeat the year, so would gladly appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Original post by PhoebeM99
Ever since starting college Chemistry hasn't gone to plan. The first teacher we had would rarely turn up, if she did turn up she'd be late, and wouldn't explain anything properly, as well as "teaching" the wrong topics. We complained and she left shortly afterwards. We then had a supply teacher who was amazing. We're now stuck with another teacher who happens to be Mexican, so is impossible to understand, I realise they can't fire him because of his accent so we're obviously going to have to deal with it.

However, I literally understand NO chemistry at all, (we had a mock exam a few weeks ago and got told to aim for 10% which should prove to you how behind we are)

What would you recommend me to do to catch up on 5 months of work before the end of this academic year, I really don't want to have to repeat the year, so would gladly appreciate any advice. Thank you.

There are plenty of videos online explaining many chemistry concepts and the textbooks are often quite useful if you're trying to learn by yourself. Start by working from the beginning, then trying past paper questions. For any topic that really is confusing, just look it up on youtube. They often help or ask on TSR for specific topic help.
Reply 2
Original post by UnknownAnon
There are plenty of videos online explaining many chemistry concepts and the textbooks are often quite useful if you're trying to learn by yourself. Start by working from the beginning, then trying past paper questions. For any topic that really is confusing, just look it up on youtube. They often help or ask on TSR for specific topic help.

So, literally work my way through textbooks making notes?
So, literally work my way through textbooks making notes?

Yep! Its a good start. And it really does help. But after that you have to try questions to practice your knowledge. What exam board are you on?
Reply 4
Original post by UnknownAnon
Yep! Its a good start. And it really does help. But after that you have to try questions to practice your knowledge. What exam board are you on?

AQA
the aqa chem textbook has everything you need to know in it. its short and precise.
Reply 6
Original post by Nitrogen
the aqa chem textbook has everything you need to know in it. its short and precise.

Is there an online copy available?
Is there an online copy available?

there is but you have to pay to view them. your college library should have them. if you're lucky you might be able to find them online for free.
Reply 8
Original post by Nitrogen
there is but you have to pay to view them. your college library should have them. if you're lucky you might be able to find them online for free.

Ah, okay thank you. I have two different chemistry text books already, however I'm not sure if they cover everything as they're not very big.
For me, I found chemistry a lot easier to understand once it got to A2 level.
The only advice I can give you is ask for help on what you don't understand and practice the **** out of papers and get to know what the examiners like for an answer :smile:

Drop the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by LadyEcliptic
For me, I found chemistry a lot easier to understand once it got to A2 level.
The only advice I can give you is ask for help on what you don't understand and practice the **** out of papers and get to know what the examiners like for an answer :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by maggie43
Drop the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately I cant. My college only has us doing 3 subjects, I think it has something to do with the new courses. I've fully considered just restarting college this September, however I know it would put me at a disadvantage when applying to uni. However, I'd be able to choose a different subject which I would probably do better in.
If you're doing AQA I suggest you check out the specification (http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/chemistry-7404-7405/specification-at-a-glance) and tick off all the things that you do understand. A lot of the AS is quite similar to GCSE (however the new stuff is quite hard to understand).

Anything I haven't understood I check out the following sites:
- http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/a-level-aqa/physical-1/#paper-1
- http://www.chemguide.co.uk/
Then once you're confident do a ton of past papers, seeing as I find lots of questions have similar answers (especially in the bonding unit).

When it comes to the mols/titrations/maths questions, I'd recommend you do a ton of questions on them. I find I get used to the format of them, thus I can apply it to exam questions.

Good luck :3
Unfortunately I cant. My college only has us doing 3 subjects, I think it has something to do with the new courses. I've fully considered just restarting college this September, however I know it would put me at a disadvantage when applying to uni. However, I'd be able to choose a different subject which I would probably do better in.

Start a new subject then. Don't stress yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Umi-chan
If you're doing AQA I suggest you check out the specification (http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/chemistry-7404-7405/specification-at-a-glance) and tick off all the things that you do understand. A lot of the AS is quite similar to GCSE (however the new stuff is quite hard to understand).

Anything I haven't understood I check out the following sites:
- http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/a-level-aqa/physical-1/#paper-1
- http://www.chemguide.co.uk/
Then once you're confident do a ton of past papers, seeing as I find lots of questions have similar answers (especially in the bonding unit).

When it comes to the mols/titrations/maths questions, I'd recommend you do a ton of questions on them. I find I get used to the format of them, thus I can apply it to exam questions.

Good luck :3

Thank you so much!!
Reply 16
Original post by maggie43
Start a new subject then. Don't stress yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if it would be mentally possible for me to learn AS and A level psychology in one year at the same time?
Do you know if it would be mentally possible for me to learn AS and A level psychology in one year at the same time?

It would be easier than chemistry, if you're really struggling with it..
Reply 18
Original post by xsellize
It would be easier than chemistry, if you're really struggling with it..

hmm really considering it

Quick Reply

Latest