Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of the MacBook Pro Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think it's one of the best computers (my gaming rig probably takes top spot) and worst (4 attempts to get on that passed, but even that is not quite right. Thankfully I have a 3 year warranty. I would elaborate, but it's well after 1 AM) computers I've ever owned

If you own one (mine's the mid-2014 one), how's it been for you?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot faster than my Windows laptop and the user experience has been pretty solid so far.

I'm using it more for exporting my video games to the Mac and I'll be building an iPhone app soon.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    I have the early 2011 model, 13 inch. Five years on, still runs fine. It doesn't run games so well, but since I mainly have it for work purposes that's not really a concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    I have the early 2011 model, 13 inch. Five years on, still runs fine. It doesn't run games so well, but since I mainly have it for work purposes that's not really a concern.
    Finding them pretty unreliable on the whole

The off-the-shelf ones I've had have all had issues (hinge not attached right so out of alignment one end, creaking in another, a trackpad that doesn't know whether it's loose or not, a replaced magsafe adaptor (both also have had lights that turn off because reasons), high pitch whine and what sounded like a bad bearing are the latest things). If I went Apple store those problems would mysteriously disappear (although they mysteriously disappear for me too making it hard to find a cause).

At this point the gaming PC I built is more reliable. Not one issue (Windows 8 seemed determined to destroy it in its first year though, but towards the end of that year and since Windows 10, not one hardware or reliability problem other than a driver or bugs everyone suffers. There was the time when it got held up shutting down for whatever reason, but other than that...it's all good). Almost forgot the sleep/wake and kernel panic issues. It's been a year with many issues with many problems with Mac, but if you compare it to my first year with 8.1 it's miles ahead. Still, thinking maybe I should have gotten a gaming laptop, as much as I'm against them, they'd have more power than a Mac and some look really good

So I think MacBooks are good, but considering what I paid, way too much effort. That's how it ends up being the best and worst I've ever owned

ReputationRep:
    I have an 11 Air. But have used the Pro as well.

The Pro seems to get better and better. The 13 is everything you could want in a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    On my desk in front of me right now I have a 2014 21" iMac and a 2015 top-spec 15" Macbook Pro. My experiences have been 5 Star so far, I have Windows 8 installed on both and I've never had a problem.

P.S. I'm not spoilt, the Macbook is for my uni stuff and I can't bring myself to sell my iMac yet!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mine turtle)
    Finding them pretty unreliable on the whole

The off-the-shelf ones I've had have all had issues (hinge not attached right so out of alignment one end, creaking in another, a trackpad that doesn't know whether it's loose or not, a replaced magsafe adaptor (both also have had lights that turn off because reasons), high pitch whine and what sounded like a bad bearing are the latest things). If I went Apple store those problems would mysteriously disappear (although they mysteriously disappear for me too making it hard to find a cause).
    Wow, that's a pretty bad experience. I've worked with Macs for years and (with the exception of the magsafe thing) I can't say I've seen any of those issues ever happen. Very strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Wow, that's a pretty bad experience. I've worked with Macs for years and (with the exception of the magsafe thing) I can't say I've seen any of those issues ever happen. Very strange.
    This one locked up for half an hour plus during set up. The magsafe cable's got shredded in the space of 12 months (general use) exposing the wiring so I had to get a new adaptor. To be fair to this one, my mum dropped it from a distance of less than one metre, from her lap (a lamp once clipped the edge of it but it was already having issues before then). Most of the issues pre date that though and it's only been dropped that one time. I don't trust Apple to get me a working one so I make no attempt to return this one.

Actually laptops in general trends to be this way. Ever since i sorted my gaming PC out (8.1 seemed to have a lot to do with anything that went wrong) it just works. Parts don't fail (unless you count the fans i used to use whose bearings always started to go bad. They were cheap fans. Or the USB 3 header that broke during a rebuild, but Amazon replaced the case and motherboard for me), it doesn't crash, doesn't mysteriously turn off, doesn't lock up, barely changes temperature under load an barely makes a peep

EDIT: A while ago, thought the hinge may be coming apart from the lid, because one end has some really noticeable movement when you touch it, even though it's not actually moving that far. It didn't feel as solid as the other end. It may be coming apart, IDK, but it hasn't progressed, so it may have started that way. So, when it's on it does just work (unless sleep/wake kills it some time in the night or it kernel panics which hasn't happened for a long time) and they do have a good user experience. Had the hardware been reliable, I'd have no issues (the very first one, which was a custom build, I had appeared solid, but from what I remember was really buggy so ended up sending it back for a replacement (at the time I thought it was the machine at fault)). Ended up with free Final Cut Pro because of that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.