Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RAF - Are they choosey with Universities? - and more Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomjmccloud)
    Thanks - I'll contact them before my last year.As for the inferiority thing I've got no issues with a complex development I'm more than capable of doing what I want to do. Drew, I got onto my course with a portfolio which impressed the dean and head of Computing which got me an unconditional offer on the course.I understand it doesn't specify degree - but that's what I'm saying - can I apply to all of those roles and still be a viable candidate with my Comp Sci degree? And no - it just seems bizarre that they don't attend the lowest ranked uni out of the fours freshers events and then that - but it could purely be down to interest, I'm not making assumptions!
    I always thought it was more down to location as to why they don't visit. Some UAS' (like my own) sometimes take a few students in the summer when Summer Camp is on in June, but this doesn't happen often, so get in contact. If not, September/Freshers Fayre it is.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - I'll contact them before my last year.As for the inferiority thing I've got no issues with a complex development I'm more than capable of doing what I want to do. Drew, I got onto my course with a portfolio which impressed the dean and head of Computing which got me an unconditional offer on the course.I understand it doesn't specify degree - but that's what I'm saying - can I apply to all of those roles and still be a viable candidate with my Comp Sci degree? And no - it just seems bizarre that they don't attend the lowest ranked uni out of the fours freshers events and then that - but it could purely be down to interest, I'm not making assumptions!
    Then as long as you get a degree, you'll have the minimum requirements. The RAF does not make judgements on type or place of degree unless it specifically matters that you have a degree. There is, however, also the proviso that you having a degree means nothing more to them than you having the minimum requirements - the same as hundreds of others will.

Them not going to every freshers fair will simply have more to do with a lack of resources than any conspiracy theory.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, minimum requirements is what I'm concerned about. I think I've got what it takes but everyone does. We'll see.That's fair enough. Cheers for the help people. Is there anything incan do in the meantime to get involved or should I just waittill next year?

ReputationRep:
    ? And no - it just seems bizarre that they don't attend the lowest ranked uni out of the fours freshers events and then that - but it could purely be down to interest, I'm not making assumptions!
    Money, and lots of it. To attend and have a stall even a mid range uni's freshers' fair costs getting on for a 4 figure sum for a day or two. At the bigger uni's that can (will) be even more. During my UAS tour even though our biggest uni had a three day fair we only attended on one or two days due to the costs involved, bearing in mind that we'd have to budget for several other Unis too.

NUAS isn't one of the bigger UASs so they rightly focus on Newcastle and Durham, with a day at Northumbria normally included.

ReputationRep:
    Rightly for what reason? Surely if costs were a worry youd go to smaller universities then?

I am still curious as to whether theres anything i could do in the meantime whilst waiting for next UAS intake?

ReputationRep:
    Rightly for what reason? Surely if costs were a worry youd go to smaller universities then?

I am still curious as to whether theres anything i could do in the meantime whilst waiting for next UAS intake?
    You put the money where the better candidates are likely to be.

And no, not in terms of actually being involved. You can do things that will make you a better prospective candidate - start learning about the RAF, why you want to join, what you can get out of the UAS, why they should pick you.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that but as you said there was apparently no bias? Im just confused and concerned about the selection process is all
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You put the money where the better candidates are likely to be.

And no, not in terms of actually being involved. You can do things that will make you a better prospective candidate - start learning about the RAF, why you want to join, what you can get out of the UAS, why they should pick you.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that but as you said there was apparently no bias? Im just confused and concerned about the selection process is all
    The UAS and the RAF are different.

One is accepting people in for service, one is a recruitment service. They have different objectives and consequently different aims.

ReputationRep:
    I see. Obviously being in the UAS would make me a more valuable asset though, naturally. But thanks for your feedback!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    There used to be a LOT of UAS's. They were located at universities all over the UK. Teeside wasn't a university until fairly recently.
    UAS numbers were reduced in line with the whole of the RAF.
    There's now about 14 or 16 of them for the whole of the UK. NUAS happens to be HQ'd in Newcastle because that makes sense. They fly out of Leeming, so they are going further South than Teeside.
    So. No conspiracy. Not selective. It's about history and what was there before.

If you want to know what might make you a better candidate for selection, read more threads here and get a few ideas stewing. The RAF wants self-starters, people with initiative. Get off your backside and do what YOU want to do that seems to fit with what the RAF looks for in it's future leaders.
    Being in the UAS doesn't necessarily make you a better candidate. They look for a lot more than that.

ReputationRep:
    as long as you can show that you have the potential and have got what it takes to be in the RAF then universities don't make any difference

ReputationRep:
    At a big Uni you may see 100 eligible candidates over a couple of days, of which 1/2 might be competitive at interview. At a medium uni in a day you may get a quarter of that. At an even smaller establishment that decreases even further that it becomes uneconomical in terms of cost, time and effort. "Keen beans" at those establishments are expected to find out the affiliated UAS and get in contact. If they can't figure that out themselves then they aren't suitable candidates.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm studying Computer Science at Teesside University and am expecting to receive a first. Although looking on here I see people posting about top universities and whatnot. Would they be chosen over me purely on quality of university? Its about 56th out of 104 for the course and further down out of 120+ for the university. Its excellent though.

I want to enter as an Officer specifically Engineering or Logistics. Is there anything I could do in mt spare time to up my chances of being taken on? I want to do reserves but dont know what directly relates to the jobs I'm interested in.

Also, is it possible to do other things perhaps unrelated to the RAF whilst at University which may look good when applying?

Cheers. Appreciate the help forthcoming.
    It's the RAF not Google Labs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.