Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 29 and looking to apply to med school however you have to declare any altercations with the law. I got fined over 10 years ago and I'm worried it will stop me before I even start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca2440)
    I'm 29 and looking to apply to med school however you have to declare any altercations with the law. I got fined over 10 years ago and I'm worried it will stop me before I even start
    I doubt that something as minor as an offence which just resulted in a fine (and which wasn't repeated in ten years) will be an issue. The application system needs to weed out people like e.g. habitual offenders, those who may be dangerous to others etc. A fine won't be an automatic bar to the medical profession and each case will be judged on its own merits. Just be open and honest and I'm sure you'll be fine.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It will depend on what the fine was for, was it a traffic violation? A PND? If so at which tier? You will probably be fine, and certainly the only way to find out is to try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    It will depend on what the fine was for, was it a traffic violation? A PND? If so at which tier? You will probably be fine, and certainly the only way to find out is to try.
    Nice pun.

ReputationRep:
    It could be fine with your fine ...

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to tell them about it.

Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

You only have to declare a fine for 1-year after your sentencing.

Regards,

SS

ReputationRep:
    Working with vulnerable adults and children you have to declare all convictions as you are required to have an enhanced check. Everything will come up on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If it's a traffic related offence, it won't stop you working with children or vulnerable adults. Speeding goes down as code 30 or 60. not sure if drink driving would stop you working with children or vulnerable adults. England isn't as strict as Northern ireland, parking tickets have to be declared over there (or did when I had to have a check done for working with kids).

i'd declare it to be safe though, shows you're honest even if it won't make a difference.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.