Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trevor Phillips abandons integration propaganda -- admits "Muslims are not like us" Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    As I said, the polls indicate that high proportions of Moslems favour Sharia law. However, that could just be a theoretical dream they have, and most (like most Christians) are pretty passive, fortunately. Plenty of them wear Moslem garb, though, for which there is neither justification nor need.
    I've noticed that these days, things like believing the west causes all terrorism and a problems in the Muslim world and distain towards people like maajid nawaz are actually pretty mainstream viewpoints in the Muslim community.

This is worrying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Well, arguably that kind of thinking does seem to have influenced Bush during his Presidency - it's difficult not to think he meant it, for example, when he called the proposed assaults on Afghanistan and Iraq a "crusade", instantly turning more than half of the Muslim world against him and of course pressing a hot button with Christian loons around the world.
    Completely agree and the same goes for a huge chunk of Muslims and sharia and support for 'Islamic lands' and the Caliphate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midaftann)
    I am afraid you are influenced by quite a dose of ethnocentrism.
    oh, really ?

but seriously: I rather be like that than to pretend that "all cultures are equal" and "all of them have a right to exist" or, which is even more stupid "cultures can co-exist"

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    Muslim communities are not like others in Britain and the country should accept they will never integrate, the former head of the equalities watchdog has claimed.
    Trevor Phillips, the former chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, said it was disrespectful to assume that Muslim communities would change.
    He told a meeting at the Policy Exchange think tank in Westminster on Monday that Muslims ‘see the world differently from the rest of us’.
    According to The Times, he said: ‘Continuously pretending that a group is somehow eventually going to become like the rest of us is perhaps the deepest form of disrespect.
    ‘Because what you are essentially saying is the fact that they behave in a different way, some of which we may not like, is because they haven’t yet seen the light. It may be that they see the world differently to the rest of us.
    ’Mr Phillips added that people of certain backgrounds in the UK are not going to change their views ‘simply because we are constantly telling them that basically they should be like us’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Phillips.html
    How do you integrate an ideology so intolerant and violent into our society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon_g)
    oh, really ?

but seriously: I rather be like that than to pretend that "all cultures are equal" and "all of them have a right to exist" or, which is even more stupid "cultures can co-exist"

cheers
    By no means do I want to offend you, but this vision of a Western society (of which we are both part of) better than the others is of another century. Difference does not always mean inequality and everyone, I think, should respect what Weber calls "axiological neutrality", which means that jugements of facts are way more desirable than jugements of values. Nonetheless, it is true that some (and I could arguably say an extremely little minority of) migrants cannot comprehend what we are, but that is because they have been educated on a very narrow-minded way, often combined with exagerated and biased religious beliefs.
    Then, we should not forget that a society which defines objectives for all (wealth, for instance) without giving the means to attain them is subject to many forms of social issues.
    And cultures have been mixing since the dawn of time. That is part of the way Humans behave on an anthropological point of view.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.