Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was looking through about paying back your student loans, and I was wondering if how much you paid back depended on the size of the loan. The website said that if you made £25000 a year for example, you only pay back £30 a month, but if I were to get a large maintenance loan on top of the £9000 loan a year, it would take over 100 years to pay it all back at that rate. So I was wondering if the amount you paid back depended on the amount you owed, as otherwise I don't understand what the government gets from giving the money if you don't pay it all back.

Also, the maintenance loan depends on your household income, but is that just from working or does it take into account things like benefits and dla? We have a fairly decent household income including all that, but for several reasons our outcome is quite substantial, and so a larger maintenance loan would be preferable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suiagg)
    Hi, I was looking through about paying back your student loans, and I was wondering if how much you paid back depended on the size of the loan. The website said that if you made £25000 a year for example, you only pay back £30 a month, but if I were to get a large maintenance loan on top of the £9000 loan a year, it would take over 100 years to pay it all back at that rate. So I was wondering if the amount you paid back depended on the amount you owed, as otherwise I don't understand what the government gets from giving the money if you don't pay it all back.

Also, the maintenance loan depends on your household income, but is that just from working or does it take into account things like benefits and dla? We have a fairly decent household income including all that, but for several reasons our outcome is quite substantial, and so a larger maintenance loan would be preferable.
    No, it makes now difference how much your loan is. You repay it all at the same rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suiagg)
    Hi, I was looking through about paying back your student loans, and I was wondering if how much you paid back depended on the size of the loan. The website said that if you made £25000 a year for example, you only pay back £30 a month, but if I were to get a large maintenance loan on top of the £9000 loan a year, it would take over 100 years to pay it all back at that rate.
    In addition, any outstanding SF debt is automatically written off, 30 years after you graduate.

So I was wondering if the amount you paid back depended on the amount you owed
    No. Everyone repays under the same terms & conditions, at the same sliding scale of increasing rates, based on how much you earn.

as otherwise I don't understand what the government gets from giving the money if you don't pay it all back.
    The government is gambling that the people who do repay their loans, repay enough extra in interest payments, to cover the amounts left unpaid by low-earning graduates. In addition, they get a workforce which contains more graduates and which theoretically therefore has a greater potential to be of benefit to the country by earning, paying tax, investing, saving, buying things etc.

Some benefits are treated as taxable income and will be taken into account by SF when calculating household income for the initial Maintenance Loan entitlement. Here's the list, so you can work it out for your situation:
    https://www.gov.uk/income-tax/taxfre...state-benefits
    DLA is not a taxable benefit and would not be included as part of your household income when determining Maintenance Loan entitlement.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.