Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year of a geography degree and am beginning to struggle with the formatting and structure of essays.
    I've submitted 3 essays now, and have got below average grades in 2 of them, and I really want to sort this out before I get a load more for the second term.
    I've always struggled a bit with structuring essays, but since coming to uni, and having the lack of explanation when set an essay, I seem to be deteriorating...
    I can often find the relevant resources to the question, and have a good general understanding of what I'm writing about, but when it comes to the introduction and conclusion, I can't seem to be able to fit everything together.
    the majority of the feedback I've had criticizes the way in which I have written my introduction and the lack of development in specific points, causing a poor overall answering of the question.
    Can anyone please give me a rough guide to follow when answering an essay, it would help me out a lot, as I am worrying a lot about this (in the past I have been above average in all subjects, and so I can't understand how to improve).
    Also, if anyone has any tips on finding relevant articles and journals for specific question topic, that would be really helpful.
    Thank you so much!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeScarlett26)
    I'm in my first year of a geography degree and am beginning to struggle with the formatting and structure of essays.
    I've submitted 3 essays now, and have got below average grades in 2 of them, and I really want to sort this out before I get a load more for the second term.
    I've always struggled a bit with structuring essays, but since coming to uni, and having the lack of explanation when set an essay, I seem to be deteriorating...
    I can often find the relevant resources to the question, and have a good general understanding of what I'm writing about, but when it comes to the introduction and conclusion, I can't seem to be able to fit everything together.
    the majority of the feedback I've had criticizes the way in which I have written my introduction and the lack of development in specific points, causing a poor overall answering of the question.
    Can anyone please give me a rough guide to follow when answering an essay, it would help me out a lot, as I am worrying a lot about this (in the past I have been above average in all subjects, and so I can't understand how to improve).
    Also, if anyone has any tips on finding relevant articles and journals for specific question topic, that would be really helpful.
    Thank you so much!
    Your university should offer academic support for this sort of thing. Have a look on your university library website or student services/learning support (eg http://www.sussex.ac.uk/library/guides/rlf ).

If that doesn't work then approach your personal tutor - this is why you have tutors and if you need extra help or want to improve something you need to seek out that support. At university noone will force it upon you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.