Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who Do you want as the next Tory leader ? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Who do you want as the next tory party leader ?
    Osborne
    23.42%
    May
    6.31%
    Johnson ( Boris )
    40.54%
    Gove
    2.70%
    Morgan
    0%
    Fox
    4.50%
    Javid
    5.41%
    Hunt
    0%
    Other
    17.12%

• TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Out of the likely contenders, probably Osborne as he's more pragmatic. Boris is a jovial fellow but when it comes to being PM, I'm not sure he's the right guy. May's snooper's charter has alienated me completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Out of the likely contenders, probably Osborne as he's more pragmatic. Boris is a jovial fellow but when it comes to being PM, I'm not sure he's the right guy. May's snooper's charter has alienated me completely.
    That's an interesting choice. I too would back Gideon.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a May fan, I just love her.

ReputationRep:
    I feel Osborne would be a good leader, so long as the economy is in good shape in 2020. He can cultivate an image of competence, stewardship and experience to contrast with Corbyn's naive pie in the sky nonsense. He can also be quite witty and would do well in PMQs.

I think it was Machiavelli who made the point that you should have a deputy who does the unpopular but necessary work, and leave him to take the blame while your own image remains untainted. I feel Gove would be very good at that, and should be given a big role in the next cabinet.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Osborne first followed by Javid in the list provided.

Wouldn't happen but if I was to choose an 'Other' then I'd plump for Daniel Hannan or Jacob Rees-Mogg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordMallard)
    I think Gove would be a good deputy PM (imagine him standing in for PMQs), and maybe have Jeremy Hunt as foreign secretary.
    Deputy PM is a bit of a mickey mouse role. I think Gove would like foreign sec but he would be quite controversial and also he would risk getting foreigners backs up because he does have a tendency to give people an intellectual lecture (I personally like hearing Gove speak as he always has a well formed argument but he can come across as condescending).

Hunt on the other hand, I think he could do the British charm very well. I think he would be very good at representing what foreigners expect from the British. Polite, charming, apparently sincere, not prone to getting overexcited, and reassuring. Hunt can play that off to a tee. Maybe putting him in the lofty world of foreign affairs offices and away from domestic politics would suit him well. I just have a slight nagging doubt about Hunt, about if he is really reliable when it counts. Being Foreign Sec is glamorous but if an incident happens it is serious and relies on strong and quick judgement. Osborne, if he didn't become PM, would be a good Foreign Sec. He's got the calibre of judgement for the job.

ReputationRep:
    Liam Fox is the only credible individual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'd prefer Gove to be PM and Osbourne remain as Chancellor but a ticket involving both of them whichever way would almost guarantee that i'd campaign for them unless there were a really impressive back bencher like Goldsmith should he fail to become mayor.
    Here would be my lineup:
    PM: George Osborne
    DPM: Michael Gove
    Chancellor: Steve Baker
    Foreign Sec: Jeremy Hunt
    Home Sec: Priti Patel (Currently looking a bit male, but also I believe she would be a good Home Sec)

ReputationRep:
    The main question is due to the nature of the Tory leadership contest as a 1 vs 1 grudge match.

Who will Osborne be against?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to come in from left-field and suggest Stephen Crabb.

Also, thoughts on who would be likely to be Osborne's Chancellor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Deputy PM is a bit of a mickey mouse role. I think Gove would like foreign sec but he would be quite controversial and also he would risk getting foreigners backs up because he does have a tendency to give people an intellectual lecture (I personally like hearing Gove speak as he always has a well formed argument but he can come across as condescending).

Hunt on the other hand, I think he could do the British charm very well. I think he would be very good at representing what foreigners expect from the British. Polite, charming, apparently sincere, not prone to getting overexcited, and reassuring. Hunt can play that off to a tee. Maybe putting him in the lofty world of foreign affairs offices and away from domestic politics would suit him well. I just have a slight nagging doubt about Hunt, about if he is really reliable when it counts. Being Foreign Sec is glamorous but if an incident happens it is serious and relies on strong and quick judgement. Osborne, if he didn't become PM, would be a good Foreign Sec. He's got the calibre of judgement for the job.
    Well I would allow him to have more influence as DPM. He would be campaigning, giving speeches, doing interviews. Also he can contribute policy ideas to a wide range of subjects rather than just one. In some cases taking more of a role than the minister responsible (imagine Gove health reform?).

I thought Hunt would be good as he is a good communicator, always seeming calm and sensible. He could probably convince me to eat my own foot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)

Maybe Greg Hands as he is his current deputy at the treasury. Possibly Matthew Hancock as he was his Chief of Staff (I think that this is unlikely). Could be Javid. I think Greg Clark would be a better choice as he has a PhD in economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightybis0n)
    Ideally the Tory party should be dissolved and replaced, as they are not Conservative in the slightest and are more left wing than ever before.
    What is the use of being right-wing for the sake of being right-wing. I am a Tory more than I am a Conservative, do you want them to be like the Republicans in the US?

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordMallard)
    Here would be my lineup:
    PM: George Osborne
    DPM: Michael Gove
    Chancellor: Steve Baker
    Foreign Sec: Jeremy Hunt
    Home Sec: Priti Patel (Currently looking a bit male, but also I believe she would be a good Home Sec)
    Ideally Hague would have never stood down and would be in the fray (he was leader a decade too early) but i'd probably quite like that cabinet ideologically. I'd probably make a few changes though (also the Tories don't bother with a lone DPM).

Baker and Goldsmith would be promoted to the cabinet but in low ranking positions (Carswell would have if he never left and Hannan would if he were an MP).
    Hammond would be sacked.
    IDS would be asked to step down at the next election from being a Tory MP for the gross incompetence he's demonstrated in the welfare department - i'd bring in somebody more moderate to improve the parties image here.
    May would keep her position
    Nadim Zawaii would be promoted to the cabinet.

In an ideal world..

Hague would be asked to become leader of the house of lords.
    Willets, Major and Bernanke would be asked to form an executive policy committee.

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)

The speculation I've seen is that Gove would be Osbourne's chancellor. This would also be consistent with Cameron's model of 'promote your friends' government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    What is the use of being right-wing for the sake of being right-wing. I am a Tory more than I am a Conservative, do you want them to be like the Republicans in the US?
    Totally irrelevant. If the Torys labelled themselves as left wing I wouldn't have an issue, but they don't.

They are pro EU, pro mass immigration, pro gay marriage, pro green energy, pro gun control. Proper moral and social conservatism in Britain is dead.

ReputationRep:
    Totally irrelevant. If the Torys labelled themselves as left wing I wouldn't have an issue, but they don't.

They are pro EU, pro mass immigration, pro gay marriage, pro green energy, pro gun control. Proper moral and social conservatism in Britain is dead.
    May I ask if you have an issue with things like gay marriage, gun control and green energy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    May I ask if you have an issue with things like gay marriage, gun control and green energy?
    All 3. Liberal opinion is popular at the moment, so the Torys espouse it as much as humanly possible.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    George Osbourne - Leader

Andrew Tyrie - Chancellor

Boris Johnson - Home Secretary

William Hague - Foreign Secretary

This is what I'd like, George Osbourne is probably the best hope for the Tories to win so I think he should be leader, but at the same time, I'd like Andrew Tyrie (somewhat overlooked, though he does chair the treasury select committee and has strong ties with the one nation faction) to be Chancellor to make sure that we don't become a nation of two and make sure that Osbourne doesn't veer us too much to the right. Boris Johnson as Home is rather risky, and his record as mayor hasn't been that great, however, he represents (for me at least) the bridge between one nationism and Thatcherism that the government would need to not split. As for William Hague, well, he's just brilliant in general.

(Original post by Rakas21)
    Willets, Major and Bernanke would be asked to form an executive policy committee.
    I definitely agree with this!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    All 3. Liberal opinion is popular at the moment, so the Torys espouse it as much as humanly possible.
    I'm a more traditional conservative, and I see no problem with any of those. Since we've prohibited guns we've had no school shootings, and gun crime has gone down massively. As for Gay marriage, even as an anglican I see no issue with this, as long as we support the family unit as much as we can. And Green energy, that's just common sense, it isn't right wing to deny climate change, it's all round obliviousness.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.