Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who Do you want as the next Tory leader ? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Who do you want as the next tory party leader ?
    Osborne
    23.42%
    May
    6.31%
    Johnson ( Boris )
    40.54%
    Gove
    2.70%
    Morgan
    0%
    Fox
    4.50%
    Javid
    5.41%
    Hunt
    0%
    Other
    17.12%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    As for Labour, I think only Burnham was more electable than Corbyn.
    I think it was always going to be between Kendall* and Corbyn.

Burnham was the man who would say anything to get in power. Cooper was the woman who would say nothing to get in power.

*Whilst yes she only got 4.5% I think she would have far greater electability with non voters than any of the others. If she had moved her economic outlook to the left and made some left pleasing concessions she would have been the best candidate by a country mile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I suspect Gove would feel that's a bit of a demotion even if DPM. Hammond once compared gay marriage to incest and is a strong ally of May so i'd want rid of him. May i actually think has done a decent job as Home Sec so i don't see why she needs to move unless it's on ideological grounds, being more traditional she also placates the right of the party a bit.
    Priti Patel would be Home Secretary and she would also placate the right. I would also move Dominic Raab to justice, to carry on with Gove's work, although I think there is near consensus that he should be given the job.
    Also, I would make Rupert Harrison a peer and make him Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster (he used to be a senior adviser to George Osborne)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordMallard)
    Gove as Chancellor would be okay.

I'd have Philip Hammond as leader of the commons. Theresa May as leader of the house of lords. Anna Soubry at welfare. Gove as transport secretary and DPM (imagine the railway equivalent of free schools). Liz Truss to education. Dominic Grieve to defence. I personally would not have Zahawi, as I think he seems a bit too slimy.
    Yeah, unfortunately Zahawi is a corporate floozy. A free school style transport system? what the hell would that look like?

Gove, Soubry, Truss and Grieve are certainly some of the best that the tories have to offer in my opinion.

Philip Hammond is a non-entity (reminds me of the original minister in The Thick of It)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Yeah, unfortunately Zahawi is a corporate floozy. A free school style transport system? what the hell would that look like?

Gove, Soubry, Truss and Grieve are certainly some of the best that the tories have to offer in my opinion.

Philip Hammond is a non-entity (reminds me of the original minister in The Thick of It)
    i was being slightly tongue in cheek with the free school train remarks. But I would be interested in seeing more competition to the rail sector. Philip Hammond would certainly be better than Grayling

ReputationRep:
    I'm still horrified about the amount of people who chose Boris

ReputationRep:
    i was being slightly tongue in cheek with the free school train remarks. But I would be interested in seeing more competition to the rail sector. Philip Hammond would certainly be better than Grayling
    I think most people would be better than that buffoon.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still horrified about the amount of people who chose Boris
    I dont particularly care for the guy, (I think he's a very corrupt and unpleasant person behind a jovial mask) but why are you horrified by him?

ReputationRep:
    I dont particularly care for the guy, (I think he's a very corrupt and unpleasant person behind a jovial mask) but why are you horrified by him?
    Not horrified by him particularly, but the amount of people that chose him is too high. He is just a clown and would be a bad PM

ReputationRep:
    Some random idiot that no one will vote for.

ReputationRep:
    Not horrified by him particularly, but the amount of people that chose him is too high. He is just a clown and would be a bad PM
    I think he'd actually be Cameron MK II- I really cant see him being that different-maybe a bit more populist and gaffe prone but nothing else really.

ReputationRep:
    I think he'd actually be Cameron MK II- I really cant see him being that different-maybe a bit more populist and gaffe prone but nothing else really.
    I think Osborne would be Cameron MK 2. Also I don't like how he changes his views to be popular, like on Europe.

ReputationRep:
    I think Osborne would be Cameron MK 2.
    I don't actually. Whilst I think Osborne has been running the show for most of Camerons tenure I think that Cameron is a lot more cautious than Osborne. I suspect Osbornes tenure would be slightly more liberal in some regards.

Also I don't like how he changes his views to be popular, like on Europe.
    Yes, I agree. I'm surprised Theresa didn't back the eurosceptic card.

Funnily enough Johnson's Father and Brother are the very Pro EU Tories- his dad I think is running a campaign for IN.

ReputationRep:
    Blair.

ReputationRep:
    I picked him because he will compensate people with a custard pie when he takes away their public services.

That anyone is endorsing Michael Gove as one of the bright stars of the Conservatives should frighten you more, looking at the horrible mess he made of being Education Secretary. The guy suggests everything in the hope that something will stick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    I picked him because he will compensate people with a custard pie when he takes away their public services.

That anyone is endorsing Michael Gove as one of the bright stars of the Conservatives should frighten you more, looking at the horrible mess he made of being Education Secretary. The guy suggests everything in the hope that something will stick.

Well at least he has views that he sticks to and he has done well at justice

ReputationRep:
    and he has done well at justice
    TBF that's mostly because he's reversed the policies of his idiot predecessor

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn?

ReputationRep:
    TBF that's mostly because he's reversed the policies of his idiot predecessor
    Yes, but that's something. Also the focus on rehabilitation is something that no government has done for ages.

ReputationRep:
    Well at least he has views that he sticks to and he has done well at justice
    Except he didn't, he proposed almost every idea in the book hoping for a success. As justice secretary, yes he scrapped the court fee, but he has continued the attack on legal aid. People in this thread calling Osborne a liberal as well, have we entered the twilight zone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Except he didn't, he proposed almost every idea in the book hoping for a success. As justice secretary, yes he scrapped the court fee, but he has continued the attack on legal aid. People in this thread calling Osborne a liberal as well, have we entered the twilight zone?
    Osbourne is a liberal- there are two concepts of Liberty with Osborne being more focused on negative liberty or economic freedom.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.