Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AIDS Epidemic and Cultural Change Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I was in a very interesting lecture this morning that focused on the AIDS epidemic of the 1980's onwards, and it raised some very interesting questions about change in popular opinion towards disease, sexuality and gender over time.

AIDS was stigmatised up until the late 1990's, but popular opinion rapidly changed from fear of AIDS patients towards compassion.

I thought I'd see what you all think; what does it take to change popular opinion in the modern world? Why does it change so much more quickly now than it did before?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I think media has a lot to do with it obviously. Bu I think the main reason for the speed of change is how we communicate. The internet, phones, all speed up how we interact with one another. People can share and develop ideas from anywhere with anyone.

With AIDS specifically, I think it is helped by treatments coming around. It is now a lifelong illness, not a life limiting illness and I think, in this specific case, it has helped enormously. So has understanding of how it is spread etc which is all fairly recent knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, just look at the efforts of the South African government, health ministry and a certain Dr Rache

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.