What stereotypes do people have about your country?

Watch this thread
mrvegman
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm writing a report for uni and I'd appreciate your help. It would be great if you could answer a couple of questions for me.

1. Where are you from?
2. What are the stereotypes people make about your country (people, fashion, culture, weather, etc)?
3. What's the first thing people usually say when you tell them where you're from?
4. What's the one interesting thing about your countries people, culture, traditions, etc that only someone from your country would know about?

Try and make the answers as detailed, fun and personal as possible.Thank you in advance.
Chateaudee
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
1. I am from St. Vincent and the Grenadines

2. People, even some other Caribbean nationals, ask things like where do we live because they believe we still live in grass huts and that we ride around by donkey carts etc. I studied at university ion Barbados which is a 30 minute flight from my country, and even there I would have discussions with Barbadians and students from some of the larger Caribbean islands about the size of St. Vincent and the Grenadines and how we live etc. The larger Caribbean islands look down on us and other smaller islands as being "small islands" when in the grand scheme of things, we are all perceived by the world as small islands. This division, even between the islands, stem back to colonial days and the fact that the larger islands (Barbados, Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago etc) deemed them selves better than the other islands. The truth is that we are all practically the small with maybe small differences that makes each island unique. There was attempts to unity the islands, much like the EU, decades ago in what would have been cal;led the West Indian Federation. But the larger islands, having secured their independence from Britain believe they were too good to be linked to the others and left the Federation. A group of the smaller island, my country included, eventually formed what is known as the Organizations of Eastern Caribbean states ( OECS) and we have done quiet well with a common currency, free movement and so forth. All the islands again tried to integrate creating the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and are trying once more to create a single market and economy because they now see the benefits of being united from looking at the US and the EU. However, there is still the "i am a bigger island and I am better than you" thought process and some countries feel that giving up their currency for one Caribbean currency and integrating on a deeper level would cause them to lose their individual identity.

3. Where is that? lol most persons have only heard of Jamaica and maybe Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago. But there are sooooo many other Caribbean countries and all beautiful in their own right. Sometimes they even ask if my country is in Africa lol. I learn to laugh at the ignorance.

4. There is so much to know about St. Vincent and the Grenadines. One, we were one of the last colonized Caribbean countries. We switched hands between Spanish, french and finally Britain. The British met the local inhabitants, the Kalinago (they are similar to and related to the native Americans). They renamed them Caribs because they thought they were cannibals and they fought them for the island. The Caribs were warriors and so they fought back but were no match for the guns of the British. When their chief died, they surrendered and those who had not fled to the hills (the island is very mountainous and the British could not navigate them), where rounded up and placed on one of the other smaller islands that make up St. Vincent and the Grenadines. This island however is very small and the soil is not conducive to farming, it is mostly rock and no trees only small brushes so most of the Caribs eventually died. Those who survived (less than half) were moved again to an island off Honduras called roatan island and from there they went to Honduras, Belize and other central america countries where they spread and continued their culture. They are known as the Garifuna. This is because they are a mix of African and Caribs. This mix cam about because slaves used to escape from countries such as Barbados and make their was to St. Vincent and they inter mingled. also when the British came they brought slaves and some had escaped the plantains to the hills with the Caribs. The garifuna people consider St. Vincent and the Grenadines their homeland and some usually come here to visit to see where their ancestors are from. Unfortunately, the Caribs and Garifunas who remained in St. Vincent eventually lost their native language and many of their customs due to pressure from the British.

Another fun fact about St. Vincent and the Grenadines is that the country is made up of 32 different islands. St. Vincent (or mainland) is the largest and most populated. Not all of the islands are populated but the larger ones are. Some islands are even resorts (google young island and palm island resorts). Also one of the inhabited islands, mustique is home to a number of rich and famous persons. The royal family have a home there and visits every year. The late David Bowie,Mick Jagger, Tommy Hilfiger and a host also have houses there. I usually watch Ladies of London and during the Christmas Vacation, Sophia Standbury one of the ladies on the show was in Mustique Vacationing

Hope this helps! .
mrvegman
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Chateaudee)
1. I am from St. Vincent and the Grenadines

2. People, even some other Caribbean nationals, ask things like where do we live because they believe we still live in grass huts and that we ride around by donkey carts etc. I studied at university ion Barbados which is a 30 minute flight from my country, and even there I would have discussions with Barbadians and students from some of the larger Caribbean islands about the size of St. Vincent and the Grenadines and how we live etc. The larger Caribbean islands look down on us and other smaller islands as being "small islands" when in the grand scheme of things, we are all perceived by the world as small islands. This division, even between the islands, stem back to colonial days and the fact that the larger islands (Barbados, Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago etc) deemed them selves better than the other islands. The truth is that we are all practically the small with maybe small differences that makes each island unique. There was attempts to unity the islands, much like the EU, decades ago in what would have been cal;led the West Indian Federation. But the larger islands, having secured their independence from Britain believe they were too good to be linked to the others and left the Federation. A group of the smaller island, my country included, eventually formed what is known as the Organizations of Eastern Caribbean states ( OECS) and we have done quiet well with a common currency, free movement and so forth. All the islands again tried to integrate creating the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and are trying once more to create a single market and economy because they now see the benefits of being united from looking at the US and the EU. However, there is still the "i am a bigger island and I am better than you" thought process and some countries feel that giving up their currency for one Caribbean currency and integrating on a deeper level would cause them to lose their individual identity.

3. Where is that? lol most persons have only heard of Jamaica and maybe Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago. But there are sooooo many other Caribbean countries and all beautiful in their own right. Sometimes they even ask if my country is in Africa lol. I learn to laugh at the ignorance.

4. There is so much to know about St. Vincent and the Grenadines. One, we were one of the last colonized Caribbean countries. We switched hands between Spanish, french and finally Britain. The British met the local inhabitants, the Kalinago (they are similar to and related to the native Americans). They renamed them Caribs because they thought they were cannibals and they fought them for the island. The Caribs were warriors and so they fought back but were no match for the guns of the British. When their chief died, they surrendered and those who had not fled to the hills (the island is very mountainous and the British could not navigate them), where rounded up and placed on one of the other smaller islands that make up St. Vincent and the Grenadines. This island however is very small and the soil is not conducive to farming, it is mostly rock and no trees only small brushes so most of the Caribs eventually died. Those who survived (less than half) were moved again to an island off Honduras called roatan island and from there they went to Honduras, Belize and other central america countries where they spread and continued their culture. They are known as the Garifuna. This is because they are a mix of African and Caribs. This mix cam about because slaves used to escape from countries such as Barbados and make their was to St. Vincent and they inter mingled. also when the British came they brought slaves and some had escaped the plantains to the hills with the Caribs. The garifuna people consider St. Vincent and the Grenadines their homeland and some usually come here to visit to see where their ancestors are from. Unfortunately, the Caribs and Garifunas who remained in St. Vincent eventually lost their native language and many of their customs due to pressure from the British.

Another fun fact about St. Vincent and the Grenadines is that the country is made up of 32 different islands. St. Vincent (or mainland) is the largest and most populated. Not all of the islands are populated but the larger ones are. Some islands are even resorts (google young island and palm island resorts). Also one of the inhabited islands, mustique is home to a number of rich and famous persons. The royal family have a home there and visits every year. The late David Bowie,Mick Jagger, Tommy Hilfiger and a host also have houses there. I usually watch Ladies of London and during the Christmas Vacation, Sophia Standbury one of the ladies on the show was in Mustique Vacationing

Hope this helps! .
Thank you so much. Perfect answers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads