The Student Room Group

How to self study A Level essay based subjects like English literature and history ?

I would like to self study english literature and history to A level. Self studying mainly from textbooks/online resources, and taking the exams as a private candidate.Would this be detrimental to my grades? Has anybody done this successfully without a tutor/distance learning provider?Thank you
Original post by Venusian
I would like to self study english literature and history to A level. Self studying mainly from textbooks/online resources, and taking the exams as a private candidate.Would this be detrimental to my grades? Has anybody done this successfully without a tutor/distance learning provider?Thank you

Hi! I don't know whether you'd still like an answer after two months, but I'll respond anyhow.

I studied an A-Level in English Language privately, in less than a month. With that being said, you need to be organised and come up with a game plan. Know your syllabus inside out, always refer to external sources and figure out an essay plan based on examiner reports, mark schemes and sample responses.

Also, I did English Literature in college -- which did not help at all, seeing as I learnt almost nothing new during classes. Had to figure out everything on my own.

I did get A*s in both subjects, so I'd say tutoring oneself does work out for certain people.
Hi there,

I'd agree with the poster above. If you're organised and read the syllabi very carefully, then a great deal is possible through self study.

You also might find this page on our website helpful. It contains a large number of free articles on A-level English, written by English tutors:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/a-level-english-tutors

You can also use the Google search box at the top of our site to search for more specific English or History topics.

Good luck in your studies!
Reply 3
Original post by calmer410
Hi! I don't know whether you'd still like an answer after two months, but I'll respond anyhow.

I studied an A-Level in English Language privately, in less than a month. With that being said, you need to be organised and come up with a game plan. Know your syllabus inside out, always refer to external sources and figure out an essay plan based on examiner reports, mark schemes and sample responses.

Also, I did English Literature in college -- which did not help at all, seeing as I learnt almost nothing new during classes. Had to figure out everything on my own.

I did get A*s in both subjects, so I'd say tutoring oneself does work out for certain people.

Hi I know that my post is a bit late what online resources did you use. As I am looking to do the same thing. Well done for getting good grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending