Guy gets from Sheffield to Essex via Germany because it's cheaper than a train ticket Watch

Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Interesting video... :yum:

shawn_o1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What about coaches?
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's actually pretty cool haha (not the train ticket prices)
BaconandSauce
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thing is my time is worth more that £7 saving I would get doing the same and wasting a day in Germany
callum_law
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's quite interesting. I too find it cheaper (by £150) to get the plane home rather than train. I also save 6 hours of journey time, so can't relate to this lad's 7 hour stay in Germany.
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by BaconandSauce)
Thing is my time is worth more that £7 saving I would get doing the same and wasting a day in Germany
It's a little unfortunate you think spending a day in Berlin is wasted time....

But you do have a point. Not for the time sensitive.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
What about coaches?
National Express to Stanstead coach isn't much cheaper. Mega bus to London Victoria is cheap but not sure about getting to Essex? Don't know what stop you need.
TheArtofProtest
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BaconandSauce)
Why waste a day in Germany, when you can waste it on TSR.
Bealzibub
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How on earth is flying from East Midlands to Berlin £11.83???

The lowest price in google I see is £77 (ryanair)
BaconandSauce
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
It's a little unfortunate you think spending a day in Berlin is wasted time....
Fair point but once you've been a few times...
BaconandSauce
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheArtofProtest)
and even better still get paid
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Something is wrong with his calculation. Booking one week in advance with a railcard is about £20 for the train from Sheffield to East Essex via London. Cheaper if his distance is shorter, which he implies it is.

Without a railcard it is £35.

Booking a month in advanced it goes down to £18 (with railcard).

Where he is getting his £50 from I don't know. Sure, some of it will be buses to and from the stations, but I doubt they are much, especially given that Sheffield has its own train station. Maybe he is trying to buy a ticket on the day, or maybe he wanted to travel during an expensive hour. The cheap tickets I found were for travelling in the early afternoon and passing through London in rush hour (which is pretty grim tbf, but you save a lot of money).
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheArtofProtest)
Why not be on TSR while in Germany? :holmes:
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Keyhofi)
Something is wrong with his calculation. Booking one week in advance with a railcard is about £20 for the train from Sheffield to East Essex via London. Cheaper if his distance is shorter, which he implies it is.

Without a railcard it is £35.

Booking a month in advanced it goes down to £18 (with railcard).

Where he is getting his £50 from I don't know. Sure, some of it will be buses to and from the stations, but I doubt they are much, especially given that Sheffield has its own train station. Maybe he is trying to buy a ticket on the day, or maybe he wanted to travel during an expensive hour. The cheap tickets I found were for travelling in the early afternoon and passing through London in rush hour (which is pretty grim tbf, but you save a lot of money).
The video includes buses in the calculations But yes, there's normally a catch with these kinds of things. Like he probably booked the flights well in advance and had to dig around for cheap deals.
TheArtofProtest
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why not be on TSR while in Germany? :holmes:
For some people, like that Holocaust denier that keeps trolling on here, it would be quite the unpleasant trip.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The video includes buses in the calculations But yes, there's normally a catch with these kinds of things. Like he probably booked the flights well in advance and had to dig around for cheap deals.
Just had a look myself; Plenty of same-day return flights at the start of Feb to various European cities for under £20, even flying from London!

The Mrs and I are very tempted to go for the £14 Denmark day out
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For a recent journey from the South West to North Wales, it was cheaper to hire a car for three days (inc diesel) than it was to get the train (including taxis at either end). And with two changes, the train would have taken nearly 3 hours longer. I really don't know why people bother with it half the time.
Sgt_Haytham
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I cringed.

He looks like Sam Pepper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (77)
37.2%
I really love the subject (53)
25.6%
I don't know what else to do (26)
12.56%
I can't get a job (15)
7.25%
My parents want me to (5)
2.42%