lizziewlsn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm looking at studying taught masters degrees starting in September 2016. I wanted to get my applications done as soon as possible but was having a few problems.

I was thinking about applying for the postgraduate loan system, but also maybe looking at applying for some scholarships/bursaries as well to see if I get any, given that this loan system won't cover all costs e.g. housing & living etc. However, when applying most require you to list the way that you will fund from a drop down list i.e. not allowing you to list other sources of funds? Will it matter if I chose 'loan' or 'self-funding' and then apply for other sources of funding after??

Also, it seems a bit weird that you have to specify the source of funding in most applications, when most scholarships/bursaries need you to hold a place before you can apply for them?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lizziewlsn)
Hi,

I'm looking at studying taught masters degrees starting in September 2016. I wanted to get my applications done as soon as possible but was having a few problems.

I was thinking about applying for the postgraduate loan system, but also maybe looking at applying for some scholarships/bursaries as well to see if I get any, given that this loan system won't cover all costs e.g. housing & living etc. However, when applying most require you to list the way that you will fund from a drop down list i.e. not allowing you to list other sources of funds? Will it matter if I chose 'loan' or 'self-funding' and then apply for other sources of funding after??

Also, it seems a bit weird that you have to specify the source of funding in most applications, when most scholarships/bursaries need you to hold a place before you can apply for them?
The new postgrad loan scheme will be paid directly to you - it's up to you whether you then use it to pay for your tuition fees or to pay for living costs.

Therefore from a university or scholarship/bursaries point of view you will still be self funded (after all the idea is that you'll repay the loan!) so I'd suggest picking that option on any application forms for extra finance.

http://www.findamasters.com/funding/...ns-scheme.aspx has the best info I've come across about the new scheme.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%