Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. Just wondering about some advice!

Currently withholding an offer from a primary pgce university and awaiting the response from my schools direct. Can anyone who has experienced either please comment? My issue is I would really like to receive the pgce qualification because I understand you can teach abroad this way, whereas just QTS is not always recognised.

The school I have applied to say you have the option to do the pgce, and if
    You complete the course you may receive one. What would stop you from getting this qualification then?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't get it if you didn't pay for it, or failed to complete the assignments satisfactorily. But really, they are the only ways someone on my course wouldn't get the PGCE part. Can't think of any other reason you wouldn't be able to get one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    You wouldn't get it if you didn't pay for it, or failed to complete the assignments satisfactorily. But really, they are the only ways someone on my course wouldn't get the PGCE part. Can't think of any other reason you wouldn't be able to get one.
    Thanks for your reply! Yes happy to pay the extra tuition fees by getting a pgce out of it. Are you currently doing a schools direct with a Pgce? Do you feel you are at a disadvantage not spending the time at university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahsiobhan1)
    Thanks for your reply! Yes happy to pay the extra tuition fees by getting a pgce out of it. Are you currently doing a schools direct with a Pgce? Do you feel you are at a disadvantage not spending the time at university!
    I'm doing a SCITT course, but with a PGCE attached. That means that all the assignments linked to the PGCE are dealt with by the university, but all the other training is done by the lead school. The training days for both of these are almost exclusively Fridays, and so I spend 4 days a week in school on placement, usually.

I feel absolutely no disadvantage spending all that time at school! Previous to doing this course, I worked for a couple of years overseas, and before that I was at university. I chose the SCITT route because it allowed me to get going, not sitting around learning theory, I had previously spent only 4 days in a school setting prior to the course. In spite of what people deem a lack of experience, I had worked enough with children to be able to dive in and cope. Of the 20 people on my course, I'm one of the ones coping the best - all because of my attitude to life and work.

However, whichever route you choose, it requires hard work and dedication. Theory or practical based, makes no difference. The only thing I will say is this: I felt a lot more comfortable entering my second placement - somewhere completely new and different to my first placement - than the uni-based PGCE students who are also there currently looked on their first day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    I'm doing a SCITT course, but with a PGCE attached. That means that all the assignments linked to the PGCE are dealt with by the university, but all the other training is done by the lead school. The training days for both of these are almost exclusively Fridays, and so I spend 4 days a week in school on placement, usually.

I feel absolutely no disadvantage spending all that time at school! Previous to doing this course, I worked for a couple of years overseas, and before that I was at university. I chose the SCITT route because it allowed me to get going, not sitting around learning theory, I had previously spent only 4 days in a school setting prior to the course. In spite of what people deem a lack of experience, I had worked enough with children to be able to dive in and cope. Of the 20 people on my course, I'm one of the ones coping the best - all because of my attitude to life and work.

However, whichever route you choose, it requires hard work and dedication. Theory or practical based, makes no difference. The only thing I will say is this: I felt a lot more comfortable entering my second placement - somewhere completely new and different to my first placement - than the uni-based PGCE students who are also there currently looked on their first day!
    Thanks again for your reply. It has defiantly helped me make my decision. My
    School have offered me a place and are happy for me to do a pgce and support me with more days at university etc. so I think I am going with the schools direct route. The school have said that I won't be forced into teaching from the first day and i will get a good chance to observe lesson. Having been out of uni for three years and working as a TA I feel that working in a school is familiar and am excited for the year ahead!

Don't suppose I should get confirmation in writing that the school are ok for to do my pgce? I'm being silly I know but I just want the degree for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahsiobhan1)
    Thanks again for your reply. It has defiantly helped me make my decision. My
    School have offered me a place and are happy for me to do a pgce and support me with more days at university etc. so I think I am going with the schools direct route. The school have said that I won't be forced into teaching from the first day and i will get a good chance to observe lesson. Having been out of uni for three years and working as a TA I feel that working in a school is familiar and am excited for the year ahead!

Don't suppose I should get confirmation in writing that the school are ok for to do my pgce? I'm being silly I know but I just want the degree for sure.
    Well, I would hope they'd honour a verbal contract, but I don't have any experience of that sort of thing...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.